PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 4x5 images moved

Jack Flesher
1-Dec-2007, 16:25
I had to move several of my online images and this included my original set of the Chamonix 4x5. I just now realized the move has rendered the image links in my Chamonix post here useless now for some time. My appologies for not catching it earlier! Anyway, for anybody interested, I have moved the images and my initial impressions over to my own site and they can be found by clicking the thumb below:

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/2/Cham_side_view_thumb.jpg (http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178)

Cheers,

Jack Flesher
2-Dec-2007, 14:13
I have received a question on the GG dimensions... FOr those that want to order an aftermarket GG, the stock one is 4.0" x 5.0" with 3/16ths corner clips.

Arne Norris
3-Dec-2007, 17:57
How does one go about ordering a Chamonix 4x5? I can't seem to find any information. At $700, it looks like a great camera.

nelson_chan
3-Dec-2007, 18:13
PM Hugo Zhang or email him here hugoz_2000@yahoo.com to ask him about going about buying a Chamonix. He is the only distributor of the Chamonix line for the States and is nice and easy going.

roteague
3-Dec-2007, 18:16
Thanks Jack for posting those images. I have one coming in a couple of weeks, and I'm really excited about it.

roteague
3-Dec-2007, 18:22
Jack, do you know if a Horseman 6x12 back will mount to the camera? It looks like it will, but just double checking.

Thanks,

Arne Norris
4-Dec-2007, 06:57
I've seen some postings before for the Chamonix, but hadn't looked very closely at them as I was convinced I needed a Technika. But this camera looks very well thought out, and for the project I'm doing I don't need much of any camera movements.

One question comes to mind. One of the things the Technika cameras are known for is their very precise alignment (when properly set up) of the ground glass and the film plain/holder. Does anyone have any comments about the precision of the Chamonix 4x5?

I'm also curious what the wait time is to get their cameras.

Finally, does Chamonix happen to make a 6x9 version similar to the Ebony SV23. The Ebony SV23 has a clever hinged back to make attaching a rollfilm back faster. But of course it's an expensive camera.

Matus Kalisky
4-Dec-2007, 07:48
Jack, thank yu for nice photos and explanations. I am now fine off with my Tachi, but still, I would like to ask how do you find the single control on the front tilt/rise movements? I would guess it may not be very convenient ...

Jack Flesher
4-Dec-2007, 07:59
Jack, do you know if a Horseman 6x12 back will mount to the camera? It looks like it will, but just double checking.

Thanks,

Hi Rob:

I can't say for certain as I don't own any Horseman backs. But it is supposed to be fully graflock compatible...

Cheers,

Jack Flesher
4-Dec-2007, 08:01
One question comes to mind. One of the things the Technika cameras are known for is their very precise alignment (when properly set up) of the ground glass and the film plain/holder. Does anyone have any comments about the precision of the Chamonix 4x5?

I am sure it is not as precise as a Linhof Tech as it is mostly friction locks. However, it produces great images ;)

Hugo can answer wait times. No 6x9 at this time that I know of.

Cheers,

Jack Flesher
4-Dec-2007, 08:02
Jack, thank yu for nice photos and explanations. I am now fine off with my Tachi, but still, I would like to ask how do you find the single control on the front tilt/rise movements? I would guess it may not be very convenient ...

Hi Matus:

I actually mentioned that in my review.... The way the front is configured, you can lock the tilt at zero and add rise or fall as needed. Once height is adjusted, there's enough friction to hold it while you add tilt. In short, it's worked fine for me ;)

Cheers,

Arne Norris
4-Dec-2007, 10:30
I noticed a post about the Chamonix that mentioned that the ground glass might be acrylic. Were they talking about the add-on fresnel or the gg?

Songyun
4-Dec-2007, 10:37

Thanks,

Yes.

Songyun
4-Dec-2007, 10:42
I got the first Chamonix 045 in North America.:) Although Alex's serial number is ahead of mine. I am thinking about writing a short review, but it is final exam week here, busy with all the exams. Maybe Jack can write some review first.

Arne Norris
4-Dec-2007, 11:00
I'm not clear. Is the gg acrylic? Thanks.

Songyun
4-Dec-2007, 11:05

No. It is just normal GG.

buze
4-Dec-2007, 15:33
Well, hopefully I shall receive /3/ 045N before xmas. I originaly ordered one, and a couple of friends decided to piggyback !

Thanks again for your data, Jack (hello Mr Gibson :D)!

Arne Norris
5-Dec-2007, 10:54
Can any users of the Chamonix 45N-1 (the only 4x5 Chamonix makes I presume) answer a couple of questions?

Does the ground glass frame/back come off to allow use of the Graflock with a Polaroid 545i, etc.?

Any compatibility issues using Readyload or Quickload backs or the 545?

I see that the camera uses Technika style lensboards. Is it set up to use the lowered hole in the board or a centered hole? My understanding is that the Linhof brand boards and the boards made by most other manufactures have the lowered hole as this is what centers the lens on a Technika. But I've seen some aftermarket boards that are centered.

Also anyone have feedback about whether the maple or walnut woods make any difference beyond aethetics? I'm thinking about durability, stability, etc.

Thanks!

D. Bryant
5-Dec-2007, 19:25
This looks like a real sweet camera, my only wish is for a longer bellows extension. With the 305 mm limit I can't use my 16.5 inch R.D. Artar at infinity.

Don Bryant

Jack Flesher
5-Dec-2007, 23:18
This looks like a real sweet camera, my only wish is for a longer bellows extension. With the 305 mm limit I can't use my 16.5 inch R.D. Artar at infinity.

Don Bryant

Hi Don:

You misunderstood --- that was my 305 at full extension which focuses to about 5 feet! The camera has about 450mm of bellows.

vinny
5-Dec-2007, 23:44
"about 450mm" I'm considering selling my shen hao. Will the chamonix 45 focus a 450mm nikkor M at infinity?

Eric James
6-Dec-2007, 00:40
There may be some variability among cameras but these are the specs that I rcvd:

"The Chamonix 045N-1 camera is $699. The technical data is as follows:
Weight: 1,380g
Bellows draw: 395 mm max, 45mm min,
Rear standard swing: 20 degrees,
Front rise: 45mm, Front fall: 30mm, Left and right shift:
40mm

...Choices of wood: white Canadian maple and dark walnut. Choices of metals: dark and grey. Shipping by EMS is $75 and should reach your door in one week or two after leaving the factory."

The next batch is scheduled to be shipped from the factory on DEC 17th - it is my understanding that it is (just) too late to place an order for that shipment. The next batch will ship in approximately six months.

I ordered one mostly out of curiosity - the deal seems too good to be true!

Daniel_Buck
6-Dec-2007, 00:56
I ordered one mostly out of curiosity - the deal seems too good to be true!
same here :) Though I really am looking for a good field camera! If it turns out to be not what I was looking for (not having the chance to actually check it out first hand!) I'm sure it would have no trouble selling used to get most of my funding back, and towards something more traditional. I do hope it works out though, great looking camera :)

I wonder, how many are going out in this December batch? Curious to see how many they make in 6 months, and of what sizes? It's a great price, I would love to get a few of my coworkers into a nice 4x5, shooting alone isn't always enjoyable.

Songyun
6-Dec-2007, 03:11

Don Bryant

Don
The max extension is 395mm (not 305) which is still short of 16.5"

Hi Don:

You misunderstood --- that was my 305 at full extension which focuses to about 5 feet! The camera has about 450mm of bellows.

Jack, are you sure you have 450mm bellow? Mine only 395mm.

BTW, one solution is using extension brackets. see photos of the 2024 in For Sale section.

Amund BLix Aaeng
6-Dec-2007, 07:01
Can any users of the Chamonix 45N-1 (the only 4x5 Chamonix makes I presume) answer a couple of questions?

Does the ground glass frame/back come off to allow use of the Graflock with a Polaroid 545i, etc.?

Any compatibility issues using Readyload or Quickload backs or the 545?

I see that the camera uses Technika style lensboards. Is it set up to use the lowered hole in the board or a centered hole? My understanding is that the Linhof brand boards and the boards made by most other manufactures have the lowered hole as this is what centers the lens on a Technika. But I've seen some aftermarket boards that are centered.

Also anyone have feedback about whether the maple or walnut woods make any difference beyond aethetics? I'm thinking about durability, stability, etc.

Thanks!

Mine is glass, and it came with a fresnel installed too.

Jack Flesher
6-Dec-2007, 07:08
"about 450mm" I'm considering selling my shen hao. Will the chamonix 45 focus a 450mm nikkor M at infinity?

My camera is totally stock, so the extension is whatever the manufacturer says it is. Knowing everybody overanalyzes what you say on a forum, I should never have said "About 450" --- my stupid. However, all that out of the way, one could certainly focus their prized 450 if they use a top-hat board...

Jack Flesher
6-Dec-2007, 08:58
PS: My Polaroid holder is an older metal one, and it fits/works just fine on the Cham!

D. Bryant
6-Dec-2007, 13:02
My camera is totally stock, so the extension is whatever the manufacturer says it is. Knowing everybody overanalyzes what you say on a forum, I should never have said "About 450" --- my stupid. However, all that out of the way, one could certainly focus their prized 450 if they use a top-hat board...

Well for what it is worth I rarely focus the 16.5 inch (~420mm) R.D. Artar at infinity so that alone wouldn't stop me from buying one of these cameras. The only problem I have now is deciding which camera to purchase first, a Shen 5x7 or the Chamonix 4x5. Right now I'm leaning toward the 4x5 but I was quite smitten with the Shen when Don Hutton showed me his Shen 5x7.

Decisions, decisions, too many cameras, to little time. Who said the old days were better? :)

Don Bryant