PDA

View Full Version : Rodenstock 480/9 APO Ronar -- Market Value??

Mark Carstens
1-Dec-2007, 14:00
Hey, all,

I'm looking for a quick and dirty estimate of the market value for a Copal #3 chrome-shutter dialed Rodenstock 480/9 APO Ronar. It's a private, local sale and we're trying to work out a reasonable value.

Any quick and dirty feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

THNX!
~Mark

Mark Carstens
1-Dec-2007, 14:52
Also, I'm aware that there are two versions of this lens -- multi-coated and single. When (by serial number series, if you know) did Rodenstock begin multi-coating these lenses?

THNX!
~Mark

Bob Salomon
1-Dec-2007, 14:53
Also, I'm aware that there are two versions of this lens -- multi-coated and single. When (by serial number series, if you know) did Rodenstock begin coating these lenses?

THNX!
~Mark

Both are coated. Single coated is coated.

Bob Salomon
1-Dec-2007, 14:54
Hey, all,

I'm looking for a quick and dirty estimate of the market value for a Copal #3 chrome-shutter dialed Rodenstock 480/9 APO Ronar. It's a private, local sale and we're trying to work out a reasonable value.

Any quick and dirty feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

THNX!
~Mark

I can tell you how old it is from the serial number if that will help you.

Sheldon N
1-Dec-2007, 14:57
I'd say $400-500. Much more than that and you're in the same price territory as the Nikkor 450mm or the Fuji 450mm, which are newer, multicoated lenses and are also lighter.

Mark Carstens
1-Dec-2007, 15:19
Thanks, Bob, Sheldon, I appreciate the feedback.

The serial number is forthcoming. I'm going to inspect the lens this afternoon or tomorrow morning, depending on when I meet up with this guy. Unfortunately, the only pics he has at home (the lens is at his studio) show the lens with both caps on. :confused:

Frankly, if it's not the multi-coated version, I won't buy it.

~Mark

rob
1-Dec-2007, 18:46
Mine is multicoated, sn: 10 68x xxx

Also, I'm aware that there are two versions of this lens -- multi-coated and single. When (by serial number series, if you know) did Rodenstock begin multi-coating these lenses?

THNX!
~Mark

Mark Carstens
1-Dec-2007, 18:47
I had a chance to look at the lens up close and personal. It looked single-coated to me ... serial # 9,478,xxx.

From the chart I found, it was part of the 1974 production run. If anyone can provide confirmation as to whether or not it is, in fact, single-coated, I'd appreciate it. From my experience, it didn't have the reflection of a multi-coated lens.

~Mark

Gene McCluney
1-Dec-2007, 20:38
Are you really concerned about the minor contrast and flare difference you might get between a single-coated and multi-coated process lens? The difference would be minor, unless you intend to never shield your lens from stray light.

Mark Carstens
1-Dec-2007, 21:07
Are you really concerned about the minor contrast and flare difference you might get between a single-coated and multi-coated process lens? The difference would be minor, unless you intend to never shield your lens from stray light.

Your point is well-taken, Gene. The reality is that I pretty much always use a lens hood, and I also own and enjoy using other single-coated lenses. The trouble is, in scouring the internet, there was more information to glean about the MC version.

In short, whatever bias I have acquired about the single-coated version really isn't my own. :o

~Mark

Bob Salomon
2-Dec-2007, 06:40
I had a chance to look at the lens up close and personal. It looked single-coated to me ... serial # 9,478,xxx.

From the chart I found, it was part of the 1974 production run. If anyone can provide confirmation as to whether or not it is, in fact, single-coated, I'd appreciate it. From my experience, it didn't have the reflection of a multi-coated lens.

~Mark

Not exactly.

9,3xx,xxx is 1976.
9,5xx,xxx is 1977.

So it is a bit later then what the chart that you found indicates.

Mark Carstens
2-Dec-2007, 07:14
Thanks, Bob!

I finally found a thread that also shed some light on how Rodenstock marked the lenses as multi-coated -- there was either a blue band or the letters "MC" on the barrel. Does that match your experience?

The lens I looked at had neither of those. So, given that it's single=coated, was Sheldon's value estimate pretty much dead-on?

~Mark

Bob Salomon
2-Dec-2007, 07:34

~Mark

Thanks, Bob!

I finally found a thread that also shed some light on how Rodenstock marked the lenses as multi-coated -- there was either a blue band or the letters "MC" on the barrel. Does that match your experience?

The lens I looked at had neither of those. So, given that it's single=coated, was Sheldon's value estimate pretty much dead-on?

~Mark

All multi coated Rodenstock lenses are marked MC on the barrel. All late model Rodenstock lenses are marked with a colored band. The color is unique to a specific series. Grandagons are green, digital are purple, etc.

Mark Carstens
2-Dec-2007, 07:39
Thanks for the clarification, Bob.

~Mark