PDA

View Full Version : need help badly

joevol
30-Nov-2007, 06:05
hey all, i've been thinking about getting a large format camera. a friend of mine has one and the pics he took were pretty awsome. he moved away, so i can't get his advise. i was wondering what i would need to get started? i know, you need a lense, bellows and film back and tripod. what else is needed? this questions is very general, but i'm needing some direction.

Juergen Sattler
30-Nov-2007, 06:25
You should buy a good book on LF photography, like: Using the View Camera by Steve Simmons. It will help you to better understand what you'll need and how to set-up and use the camera. In general what you'd need is:

- a camera
- a lens
- a lens board to mount the lens
- a dark cloth
- a loupe
- a sturdy tripod with head
- film holders
- film
- a changing bag or a darkroom to load and un-load the film
- trays and chemicals if you want to develop your own film
- a bag to fit your gear into

That should get you started. A notepad is very helpful as well - write down the settings of the camera and any notes you want to add for a picture. This will speed up the learning process.

Again, get a good book and start reading - it's cheaper than trial and error and wasting of film.

jnantz
30-Nov-2007, 06:28
don't forget the light meter!

joevol
30-Nov-2007, 06:48
thanks.

Robert Ley
30-Nov-2007, 06:57
Don't forget about our own fine LF home page. Just click on LF Home Page at the top header on this page. Lots of good info.
Welcome and good light!
Robert

Juergen Sattler
30-Nov-2007, 07:47
don't forget the light meter!

Oops! Yes, that would help! If you own a SLR type camera you can use the built-in light meter as well - in case you want to wait with the investment in a good light meter. You can even use a Digital camera that has a histogram view and use that histogram to determine the correct exposure - works really well.

Preston
30-Nov-2007, 20:56
A cable release to activate the shutter is very helpful, too.

Although not specifically equipment...patience.

-PB

Bill_1856
30-Nov-2007, 21:10
Using a large format is the fun part, and is only about 10% of the time consumed in your adventure. Don't forget the work, expense, and time involved in developing, and enlarging the negatives. Not to mention that you'll have to buy all that equipment, too.

David Karp
30-Nov-2007, 22:42
Check this out, along with lots of other good information on the main site (lfphoto.info):

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/matos-begin.html

John Kasaian
1-Dec-2007, 00:20
First, get a copy of Steve Simmons "Using The View Camera"

If your local community college or adult school has a class, that would be an excellent way to get your feet wet--with the schools equipment!

If thats not possible, get a kit thats already put together---something built around an inexpensive, simple and rugged camera like a Calumet 400 series or Graphic View. Jim at Midwest Photo can put one together for you or check the 'for sale' section here.

Then go make photographs.

Don't stress over equipment.

David Vickery
1-Dec-2007, 01:40
Well, you could do all of this without the lens.

Duane Polcou
1-Dec-2007, 02:10
Then go make photographs.
Don't stress over equipment.

Single best advice. There are people who agonize forever over camera brands, lens coatings, film testing, paper curves, on and on. Then two years of their lives have slid by and they've almost nothing to show but some databases and a stack of film they "tested".

John Sexton once said at every workshop there is always one person who has far more photographic knowledge than himself, but they have the weakest portfolio.

Meaning, buy what you need to buy to get started, learn the basics, and let practice take care of the rest.

Gary Tarbert
1-Dec-2007, 02:43
Single best advice. There are people who agonize forever over camera brands, lens coatings, film testing, paper curves, on and on. Then two years of their lives have slid by and they've almost nothing to show but some databases and a stack of film they "tested".

John Sexton once said at every workshop there is always one person who has far more photographic knowledge than himself, but they have the weakest portfolio.

Meaning, buy what you need to buy to get started, learn the basics, and let practice take care of the rest.And so say all of us .Find someone who tried LF realised it wasn't for them, And purchase their whole kit , thats what i did got the lot for less than 1,500 us ,this included 5x4 camera 3xlenses 3x film holders & lots of other bits & pieces .
L.F is the ultimate but requires dedication & practice ,as other posters have said just make pictures and forget about techno B.S and your halfway there.
Just as a sidenote i was giving a talk one evening on macro photography,someone in the audience picked me up on a minor mathematical error.
After the talk i had the opportunity to talk to the the person, i just said to him "man you really know your stuff i would love to see your work" his reply was "Hey look it's not in the same league as yours but i just knew you were wrong " Cheers Gary

Geary Lyons
1-Dec-2007, 08:37
hey all, i've been thinking about getting a large format camera. a friend of mine has one and the pics he took were pretty awsome. he moved away, so i can't get his advise. i was wondering what i would need to get started? i know, you need a lense, bellows and film back and tripod. what else is needed? this questions is very general, but i'm needing some direction.

Where are you located? Someone may be willing do offer you a "Show and Tell".
Geary

John Bowen
1-Dec-2007, 12:12
In addition to Steve Simmons' book, I would also recommend you obtain Bruce Barlow's book on CD "Finely Focused." www.circleofthesunproductions.com Bruce teaches large format workshops and includes with the CD the necessary equipment to determine your individual film speed and proper development time for the materials you use. The book has lots of "how to" for the newbe and lots of exercises to challenge the experienced photographer.

Ted Harris
1-Dec-2007, 13:11
joevol,

You also do not need all the darkroom space and equipment. You can send your film to a professional lab for processing and you can use a digital workflow (Epson 4990 scanner and the computer you already own and a photo printer) for your final prints.