PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Lens and Lens board

Michael Graves
29-Nov-2007, 17:36
Bought an interesting lens from the Bay and I think I got lucky. It's strange lens on a stranger lens board. The lens is a Leitmeyr Munchen Weitwenkel Anastigmat 120mm. I figured since Weitwenkel means wide angle, I might get lucky and it would cover 4x5. If it did, maybe I could get my 120mm Angulon back from my wife who has it welded to her Speed Graphic. Just for Schlitz and Gin, I put it on my 8x10 to see how big the image circle was. Stopped down, it came within an inch on the corners of covering it! It'll have no problem with 5x7. The angulon gets right to the corners of the 5x7, but if I try to use any movements at all, I pay the price.

I tried to do some googling and came up empty. I'm going to take it out with the 5x7 this weekend and see what I get. The shutter was cleans as a whistle and even 1 sec. purrs like a kitten. If the pictures look good, I'll keep it and quit bugging me lovely wife about the other lens. She's better with it than I am anyway.

The lens came mounted on a 3" brushed chrome lens board with rounded corners. Any idea what takes that kind of lens board? It's very pretty. It's drilled for a Prontor II shutter, since that's what the lens is in, but it's the same sized hole that my 90mm angulon filled. So it's about the same as the #0 Compur. If anybody wants it, they can have it in trade for a print.

Jan Pedersen
29-Nov-2007, 18:59
The Vade Mecum has a little paragraph about the Leitmeyer. This lens was obviously made in 65, 90, 108 and 120mm 6.8 the 108 listed as 5x7 so yes, the 120 should cover well.
Was sold in both Prontor shutters and barrel mount. No mention about the lens design.
Have fun with the lens.

Glenn Thoreson
29-Nov-2007, 19:44
I have a Leitmeyer Weitwinkel Anastigmat 121mm that I was using on a fixed focus 4X5 that I built. It's a sharp little lens. Little is the key word here. I have no doubt it would cover 5X7. I don't know what the difference is between the 120 and the 121. Age, perhaps. Mine is labeled George Leitmeyer.
Michael, that lens board could be for a 4X5 Busch Pressman. Those are hard to come by and go for 40 - 50 bucks sometimes.

Michael Graves
29-Nov-2007, 19:57
I have a Leitmeyer Weitwinkel Anastigmat 121mm that I was using on a fixed focus 4X5 that I built. It's a sharp little lens. Little is the key word here. I have no doubt it would cover 5X7. I don't know what the difference is between the 120 and the 121. Age, perhaps. Mine is labeled George Leitmeyer.
Michael, that lens board could be for a 4X5 Busch Pressman. Those are hard to come by and go for 40 - 50 bucks sometimes.

Then I better revise my offer. I'll trade it for a MOUNTED print.

Oh, what the heck. A deal is a deal. Anybody got a Busch Pressman? Just don't try and send me a Busch Bavarian. Nasty stuff, that.

cowanw
29-Nov-2007, 20:02
My 90 mm Leitmeyer is a double gauss design apparently similar to Wollensak design and not similar to the Angulon.
Regards
Bill

Ole Tjugen
30-Nov-2007, 01:00
Most of the Leitmeyr Weitwinkel Anatigmats seem to be double Gauss, but I'm certain that my 121mm is an Angulon copy.

Coverage should be similar in either case, coming to within an inch of illuminating 8x10" and covering 5x7" very well.