PDA

View Full Version : Another Question for "23 Graphic"

sapata
28-Nov-2007, 12:53
Hi...
I'm quite new on large format and very recently I bought a 23 Graphic Roll back which I haven't used it yet.
I was just wondering if anyone already use it and wether is good or not. My other question is (please don't laugh...) wether the whole image will appears on the 6x9 negative or is going to be cropped once the roll film neg is much smaller than the 4x5 sheet film.

Thanks !

Neal Shields
28-Nov-2007, 12:58
It will be cropped. Many old 4x5 cameras have pencil lines on the ground glass to show where the roll film back image will be.

You don't say what camera you are going to use it with but many of the old Graflex cameras had a view finder with a slot to insert masks depending on which roll film back was being used.

You can find more information than you can ever use about this at Graflex.org.

Have fun

Neal

sapata
28-Nov-2007, 14:07
Hi Neal...
Thanks for your reply.

I've got a Toyo, do you think it will be cropped too much ? How do I know before shooting ? The glass on the back of my camera is graded...

Dan Fromm
28-Nov-2007, 14:58
Cropped too much? You'll lose around 20 mm from top and bottom (that's 40 mm total) and around roughly the same from each end.

To see it on the GG, use a grease pencil to mark a 56 mm x 82 mm rectangle on the GG, and be sure to center the rectangle on the GG. When you've focused and composed, what's inside the rectangle will be captured on film, what's outside won't.

sapata
28-Nov-2007, 15:23
Wow ! That's quite a lot !
But maybe I'm asking too much...

Thanks you !

ic-racer
29-Nov-2007, 12:30
Hi...
I'm quite new on large format and very recently I bought a 23 Graphic Roll back which I haven't used it yet.
I was just wondering if anyone already use it and wether is good or not. My other question is (please don't laugh...) wether the whole image will appears on the 6x9 negative or is going to be cropped once the roll film neg is much smaller than the 4x5 sheet film.

Thanks !

Well, you CAN get the camera to put the whole image on the film. It would require changing your lens to one that is 1.5 times shorter in focal length when using the 6x9 back. So by using a 100mm lens you will get about the same image on the 6x9 negative as a 150mm lens puts on the 4x5 film.

sapata
29-Nov-2007, 12:45
Great ! Thanks for the tip...
I'll be looking for the lens now.

Dan Fromm
29-Nov-2007, 13:39
Well, you CAN get the camera to put the whole image on the film. It would require changing your lens to one that is 1.5 times shorter in focal length when using the 6x9 back. So by using a 100mm lens you will get about the same image on the 6x9 negative as a 150mm lens puts on the 4x5 film.This is silly. 4x5 is still larger than 2x3. Unless the 100 mm lens miraculously puts good image on 2x3 and darkness outside, some of the subject, as visible on the GG, will fall outside of the 2x3 frame. nd 2x3, sorry, 6x9's, aspect ratio (roughly 3:2) isn't 4x5's aspect ratio (roughly
24:19).

ic-racer, did you mean to say that with a shorter lens the OP can squeeze more subject into a 2x3 frame?

Sapata, if you're dead set on shooting 2x3, sorry, 6x9, why don't you give up on 4x5 and get a 6x9 camera etc? You can still use your 150 on it.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

sapata
29-Nov-2007, 16:14
Hi Dan...
I just want to have another option with the large format, especialy because is much easiear and cheaper to process 120. Of course the reason I bought the 4x5 is to shoot with that but is nice to be able to experiment... I guess I have to try this myself and see what happens.
Thanks !

Bob Jones
29-Nov-2007, 22:18
A simple way to help visualize what you will get is to take a piece of heavy paper and cut it to the size of your ground glass. Then mark out a 6x9 rectangle on it and cut it out so you have a 6x9 rectangular hole in your card. When you set up a shot, you can simply lay the card up against the GG to see what will fall within the boundaries of the roll film frame, and you don't need to make any marks on the GG.

Darren Kruger
29-Nov-2007, 23:40
Hi Neal...
Thanks for your reply.

I've got a Toyo, do you think it will be cropped too much ? How do I know before shooting ? The glass on the back of my camera is graded...

Do you mean that your ground glass has a grid? The ground glass on both my Toyo 4x5 cameras both have grids and marks for 6x7 and 6x9 formats. See the attached picture (and excuse the lack of my drawing skills.)

For the 23 graphic, use the 6x9 marks. I have a 23 graphic and use it for color neg film on my Toyo. Works fine.

-Darren

sapata
30-Nov-2007, 12:21
That's such great idea Bob ! Thanks a lot !

sapata
30-Nov-2007, 12:23
Do you mean that your ground glass has a grid? The ground glass on both my Toyo 4x5 cameras both have grids and marks for 6x7 and 6x9 formats. See the attached picture (and excuse the lack of my drawing skills.)

For the 23 graphic, use the 6x9 marks. I have a 23 graphic and use it for color neg film on my Toyo. Works fine.

-Darren

Yes there is...thanks also for the advice. You guys have been really helpful !