PDA

View Full Version : Horseman LX Info

Greg Liscio
26-Nov-2007, 19:07
Can I please get some information on the Horseman LX. Thanks
Greg

Oren Grad
26-Nov-2007, 19:45
There's some basic info here (http://www.horsemanusa.com/pd_vc.html). What specifically do you need to know?

Greg Liscio
26-Nov-2007, 19:52
Where are they sold - can't find them at B&H
They look like a technikardan - how do they compare
How valuable is having the metric indicators as opposed to say, a Canham that has none of these indicators, except on the rail.

Thanks for the help
Greg

Oren Grad
26-Nov-2007, 20:08
I'm not sure that anyone is selling new ones in the US any more. You might call the distributor and ask - contact info here (http://www.dsmww.com/contact.html). If it is available, it won't be cheap - the distributor is showing a list price of more than $5000.

The Technikardan is designed to be reasonably usable as a field camera. It's much lighter and more compact than the Horseman LX. The metal Canham is lighter still, and an entirely different beast compared to either. IMO the fundamental structural differences among those three cameras are much more important factors than the presence or absence of scales in determining which is the best choice for a given use.

Ted Harris
26-Nov-2007, 21:42
Midwest sells them new.

I use a Horseman LS in the srtudio which is almost the same as the LX. As Oren indicated the LX and the Technikarden are fundamentally different cameras.

The LX is about as far as you can get from a field camera, it is one of the solidest and heaviest of the 4x5 rail cameras. Mine weighs 20 lbs. plus when on the 300-720mm expandable rail. I never even think of using it on anything except a studio stand mounted on a Majestic geared head.

Fire away if you have any specific questions. I have been using this in the studio for a very long time.

rob
26-Nov-2007, 21:54
I'm using the LX for 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. The pieces are interchangeable. The 5x7 and 8x10 LX use Cambo rear standard and ground glass. They are heavy, but that doesn't prevent me from going out with them. One thing that I like the LX the most is the ability to shift along the film or lens plane ("Film plane rise 40mm drive parallel to film/ lens plane").

Greg Liscio
26-Nov-2007, 23:03
Thanks Ted.

First question - What is Main Frame Displacement? That apparently separates the LX from the LS.

I like the geared movements. Seems like it would be easier to work with than the Canham, yes?

BTW, I spoke with Keith Canham today regarding his camera. He's a real gentleman with a lot of patience.

Greg

rob
26-Nov-2007, 23:11
First question - What is Main Frame Displacement? That apparently separates the LX from the LS.

You can adjust the position of the film and the lens board along the film and lens planes. This movement is additional to the usual tilt/swing/rise/shift. If you base-tilt, then the frame moves along the plane of the standard. You can also do variable-axis tilt with this feature. This was the feature that made me chose horseman LX over sinar-P.

Ted Harris
27-Nov-2007, 08:11
You can do the main frame displacement on most Horseman rail cameras. I have it on mine and also had it on some older standards.

As for being easier to work with than a Canham, I don't think so. More precise yes, easier, no. I also have a Canham T57 field camera, the wooden version which is very similar to to the all metal DLC. I can set my Canham up and make an exposure in less time than it would take to assemble the Horseman. My Toyo AII is even faster. If you are going to use the Horseman in the field and want to be able to set it up with some speed then you need to carry it assembled and ready to go. Some folks work that way and long ago I used to do so but it is a PITA as far as I am concerned and not worth the effort. You just don't need the precision or extreme movements for landscape work. If your working style dictates that you do need all the bells and whistles in the field then you pay the price in weight. You might also want to look at the Arca and the Toyo VX125, two very lightweight easy to use no comprimise rail cameras designed for use in the field as well as the studio. Both have some, but not all geared movements.

Greg Liscio
27-Nov-2007, 20:26
Thanks Ted.

I was looking at the Toyo VX125 - very nice indeed. So now I am torn between the VX125 and the Linhof Technikardan, my first love.

Actually, I'm looking at the Technikardan 23. I know it will only handle roll film, but I reasoned as follows:
- All my work could very well be on 120, as I plan to have the negatives scanned
- I do NOT process my own film

Your input is always appreciated.
Greg