PDA

View Full Version : Work-Around for Missing Mounting Ring

coroner12
26-Nov-2007, 10:29
I'm looking at a lens with a great price but it seems the low price is because the lens is missing its mounting ring. What are some successful solutions to this problem. This issue seems to come up somewhat regularly.
Paul

Ole Tjugen
26-Nov-2007, 10:33
Universal iris mount?

That was the end to all my mounting ring problems. :)

coroner12
26-Nov-2007, 10:53
Who knew! Thanks Ole.
Paul

Ole Tjugen
26-Nov-2007, 11:21
Just to make it perfectly clear, this is what I'm talking about. On the picture it's holding a 10x12" Lancaster Rectilinear perfectly steady, despite all the weight of the lens being out in front of the mount.

They come in lots of different sizes, including one small enough to mount on a lens board for an Anniversary Speed Graphic - which is what I use on mine. Others like this large one may be difficult to mount on some lens boards, this one will just barely fit on a Sinar board!

Glenn Thoreson
26-Nov-2007, 12:34
I often drill a "precision" hole in the lens board, just tight enough that I can screw it into the board itself. It works fine.

Jon Shiu
26-Nov-2007, 13:51
Midwest has them for the copal shutters: mpex.com

Jon

RichardRitter
26-Nov-2007, 14:49
New mounting flanges can be made.

John Powers
26-Nov-2007, 15:03
Midwest has them for the copal shutters: mpex.com

Jon

MPEX has other sizes as well. I picked up one for a 250 wide field Ektar this weekend.

John

Curt Palm
26-Nov-2007, 15:10
http://www.skgrimes.com

check under products at the top of the web page. they stock many flanges and rings and can custom make ones also.

coroner12
26-Nov-2007, 15:17
Thanks to all for your suggestions. Apparently, this is not as big a problem as I thought.
Paul

Gene McCluney
26-Nov-2007, 15:20
Thanks to all for your suggestions. Apparently, this is not as big a problem as I thought.
Paul

Right, all it takes is a few phone calls to suggested vendors, and some money.

Dave_B
26-Nov-2007, 15:40
I have heard folks claim to use hose clamps on the back to hold the lens in place.
Dave B.

John Kasaian
26-Nov-2007, 15:42
Equinox Photo has quite an assortment of flanges, but you'll have to send the lens to them (in Oregon) for fitting. Thier prices are very good though. Another option, if your camera's front standard's light trap will permit, is a toilet to tank gasket---a massive, tight fitting rubber seal you can put on the lens rear of the lensboard to hold it tightly in place, providing there is enough mass in front of the lensboard to keep things in place (about a buck at any good hardware store.)

Bob Salomon
26-Nov-2007, 16:25
First: What lens is it?
Next: Is it in a shutter?
Last: If so what shutter?

Then you have a real chance to find out about a flange.

coroner12
26-Nov-2007, 18:58
Hi Bob,
The lens is a Wollensak 162 4.5 in a Rapax shutter. While I was looking for a solution concerning this lens, I've appreciated all suggestions about mounting flanges in general. It opens up more purchasing possibilities.
Paul

Oren Grad
26-Nov-2007, 19:37
While I was looking for a solution concerning this lens, I've appreciated all suggestions about mounting flanges in general. It opens up more purchasing possibilities.

It does. Just bear in mind that a custom-made flange can be $50 or more. That doesn't matter for an unusual or expensive lens, but it may not be worth it for a very inexpensive lens that doesn't offer any special optical virtues.

Michael Graves
26-Nov-2007, 20:09
What size flange do you need?

John Kasaian
26-Nov-2007, 21:25
Hi Bob,
The lens is a Wollensak 162 4.5 in a Rapax shutter. While I was looking for a solution concerning this lens, I've appreciated all suggestions about mounting flanges in general. It opens up more purchasing possibilities.
Paul

It should be a piece of cake! Thats a very ubitquitous shutter/lens---a flange or retaining ring shouldn't be a issue requireing a machinist. Check Midwest or Equiox or that on line auction. Heck, maybe Jim Galli has an unused one knocking around somewhere. I have two (but then I've got two 162 wolly velos!) A splendid lens btw!

Ole Tjugen
27-Nov-2007, 00:46
It does. Just bear in mind that a custom-made flange can be $50 or more. That doesn't matter for an unusual or expensive lens, but it may not be worth it for a very inexpensive lens that doesn't offer any special optical virtues.

Since I happen to have lots of unusual lenses, both expensive and inexpensive, (nearly) all with different threads, the iris mount is my best solution. The price of these has skyrocketed over the past few years, but they are still there to be found at an acceptable price. The last one I got cost me 56 Euros - two months ago.

Jim Galli
27-Nov-2007, 08:05
It should be a piece of cake! Thats a very ubitquitous shutter/lens---a flange or retaining ring shouldn't be a issue requireing a machinist. Check Midwest or Equiox or that on line auction. Heck, maybe Jim Galli has an unused one knocking around somewhere. I have two (but then I've got two 162 wolly velos!) A splendid lens btw!

That Rapax #1 isn't as ubiquitous as you think. It's the #0 that there's zillions of. My 162 Optar in Rapax #1 is hot glued to the "C" lensboard of my minty Speed Graphic because I need a jambnut or flange for it too. Hot glue is an ok temp for a light lens. Later on when you do find the nut, the glue 'peels' off leaving no mess. Now don't go hot glueing your #8 Heliar and come crying to me when it falls off the camera and cripples you. :p

sparq
27-Nov-2007, 11:00
Since I happen to have lots of unusual lenses, both expensive and inexpensive, (nearly) all with different threads, the iris mount is my best solution. The price of these has skyrocketed over the past few years, but they are still there to be found at an acceptable price. The last one I got cost me 56 Euros - two months ago.

I saw one on Ebay that went for $400 last week.

Ole Tjugen
27-Nov-2007, 14:19
One of mine cost me $300, but that had a 5x7" camera attached to it! :)

Michael Graves
27-Nov-2007, 14:55
One of mine cost me $300, but that had a 5x7" camera attached to it! :)

Was it hard to pry that useless old camera off of the retaining ring?

Ole Tjugen
27-Nov-2007, 15:15
Was it hard to pry that useless old camera off of the retaining ring?

It was - it was so hard, in fact, that it only took two months before I got another iris and put the first one back on its camera!

So now the fine old German 13x18cm "Reisekamera" is complete with iris mount and five plate holders (and film inserts in all but one of them). It's my "standard test bed" for old lenses of unknown coverage and/or uncertain origin...

Let's see: I've got one on the Reisekamera, one on the 24x30cm Reisekamera, one on the 8x10" Gandolfi, one on the Speed Graphic, and one (the latest) not yet mounted on the 30x40cm Russian monster. That's five in total. Still cheaper than 20 special order mounting rings and flanges...