PDA

View Full Version : Info on old brass lenses? Ole?

Wimpler
26-Nov-2007, 03:54
I have some questions about a few lenses.

First is a R.O.J.A. vorm Emil Busch Rathenow Weitwinkel Aplanat No. 3 Serie C. I know Ole has a lens very similar to this, and the exact same lens is in this brochure: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/busch/p33.html . My lens only has lens elements in front of the diafragm. I just need somebody to confirm taht my lens is missing lens elements :p (Because I'm convinced there should be lens elements behind the aperture as well)

Second lens looks a bit like it but is bigger and only marked Ed. Liesegang, elberfeld, and a serial number. It too has wheel stops (unmarked). It is quite a bit larger then the Busch lens. I assume it is a wide angle lens. Is this really a camera lens made by liesegang, for one of these cameras?

Liesegang, Düsseldorf Atelierkamera 1700-2000 €
Liesegang, Düsseldorf Dilka 170-190 €
Liesegang, Düsseldorf Künstlerkamera 750-850 €
Liesegang, Düsseldorf Landschaftskamera 190-225 €
Liesegang, Düsseldorf Nassplatten Box 1000-1250 €
Liesegang, Düsseldorf Reisekamera 180-200 €

Next is an extra rapid aplanat No. 1 with driafragm f7.7-64. Pretty small lens.

Last is a VULGA Rapide extra supérieur 18x24, diafragm f8-f64 (and a serial number). This one does not have the built in lens shade (the others do).

Thank you for any information.

Ole Tjugen
26-Nov-2007, 04:45
The Busch ROJA WW Aplanat should indeed have glass both in front of and behind the aperture, as it won't be an "aplanat" without it.

The Liesegang I know nothing about, but since it has wheel stops it is most likely to be a camera lens. It doesn't have to be a wide-angle though.

Extra Rapid Aplanat generally means that the makimum aperture is larger than f:7.2; as you see that is not always the case. There were hundreds of makers of these lenses. No.1 often means that it was made to cover 9x12cm. :)

The VULGA I assume might be French?

Wimpler
26-Nov-2007, 10:18
Well now I'm sure I only have half the lens, hehe. Will just the one half be usefull for anything at all?

Gordon Moat
26-Nov-2007, 12:12
Well going by the examples on this page (http://dioptrique.info/base/m/m_busch.htm) Busch made a few early lens types that had two elements and an aperture. Have you tried mocking one into position to see if it can form an image on the ground glass?

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)
Life - Updated

Ole Tjugen
26-Nov-2007, 12:14
It will form some kind of image, but WA Aplanats were never intended to be convertible. So it will be less good than half a "regular" Aplanat, and even worse: If wide open for the whole lens is f:18, half a lens will give about f:36 as largest aperture!

On the other hand - stop down two or three stops, and you're in "pinhole territory" where the glass doesn't make any difference to resolution... :)

Wimpler
26-Nov-2007, 15:52
Gordon, I had seen that page and that was why I was not entirely sure the lens was incomplete.

I've taken a look at the ground glass image and it certainly isn't unsharp, but it isn't particularly usefull. I'll need to do some shots to be sure I guess :D