PDA

View Full Version : E&H.T. Anthony & Co. Lens

ic-racer
24-Nov-2007, 13:43
Just got a cool lens from my brother (he goes to a lot of flea markets, etc). He is always on the lookout for cool stuff and he got this for a few dollars.

I am just starting to research this lens but I thought I would post it here for your entertainment and thoughts.

This is a brass single element lens. It is inscribed as follows:

first line: E&H.T.ANTHONY & CO.
second line: SINGLE 2 .ACHROMATIC

the "2" is in a different font, like it was stamped on separatly. There is a spurious 'period' before the "A" in ACHROMATIC

Is the "2" diopters? Though I think I recall "1" diopter being one meter (1000mm) so 2 would be 500mm. Could be 2 'decimeters' but I get a focal length of 2.6 decimeters (260 mm).

The front has a stop wheel that is unmarked as far as I can tell at this point.

The lens assembly screws into the mounting flange.

The front stop piece unscrews and the rear element unscrews, so it unscrews into 4 pieces.

From my simple 'optical bench test' (ie holding it up to the window) it has a big image circle (or well, 'circle of light', I have yet to see if any useful image is out there at the edges).

Just from a few minutes on the internet I came up with E&HG Anthony as a printer? of Civil war photographs. Also, I found an ad in 1864 'Harper's Weekly' for the company:

Harper's Ad 1864:

E. & H, T. ANTHONY & CO., Manufacturers of Photographic Materials,
WHOLESALE AND RETAIL 501 BROADWAY N. Y. In addition to our main business of PHOTOGRAPHIC MATERIALS, we are Headquarters for the following, viz: STEREOICOPES & STEREOSCOPIC VIEWS, Of these we have an immense assortment, including War Scenes

(wow, isn't it great someone scanned this old magazine with character recognition software!)

Ole Tjugen
24-Nov-2007, 15:44
Most lenses of that age were marked with the number in the series, not the focal length. About 260mm sounds about right for a #2, of just about any type. #2 often means that it was made to cover 5x7" - but there were more exceptions to that rule than lenses that acually follow something approaching the rule.

If it's achromatic, it's two cemented lens elements.

That looks like a fine little old landscape lens!

ic-racer
24-Nov-2007, 17:27
Most lenses of that age were marked with the number in the series, not the focal length. About 260mm sounds about right for a #2, of just about any type. #2 often means that it was made to cover 5x7" - but there were more exceptions to that rule than lenses that acually follow something approaching the rule.

If it's achromatic, it's two cemented lens elements.

That looks like a fine little old landscape lens!
This is great! thanks for the info. Now that I have a closer look at the lens, I can see three reflections. A much larger reflection from the rear face (least curved of all) a bright small reflection from the front face and a fainter small reflection which must be coming from the lens/lens interface. I can't see the lens edge and the glue is perfectly clear, so there was no other way to know that this is a doublet.

Glenn Thoreson
24-Nov-2007, 19:54
Achromatic meniscus landscape lens. I have a really old Conley lens that has unmarked wheel stops. How is a fellow supposed to know where where to set it?
You should try your lens. Some of thes old lenses are quite surprising. Nice find.

ic-racer
24-Nov-2007, 22:32
Achromatic meniscus landscape lens. I have a really old Conley lens that has unmarked wheel stops. How is a fellow supposed to know where where to set it?
You should try your lens. Some of thes old lenses are quite surprising. Nice find.

Just got done with the initial clean up. The lens has no fungus or element separation. It does have some "cleaning marks" from all the years, but this would be e-bay 'Like New' glass. I held it in front of the 8x10 Century's lensboard to project an image on the ground glass and WOW, I was expecting a fuzzy image. It is sharp!

As suggested the image circle looks good for 5x7 so I am expecting some beautiful vignetted 8x10 images.

You guys know a lot more about brass lenses than I (this is my first) so I had to check up in my 1911 "Encyclopedia of Photography". As you all pointed out, the design with the aperture unit shielding the front element is a 'landscape' design, as is the achromat design. Cool, the "Enclycopedia" also had a formula for blacking the brass (the parts that are supposed to be black, that is), though I think I will just use flat black enamel, as it is easily removed with thinner, should I ever change my mind.

It also told me that the 'achromatic' lens was synonomous with an 'actinic' lens. That is, one that accuratly focuses the 'actinic' or 'chemically active' light rays. These would be in the BLUE range, because at the time, one theory was that the RED rays were not chemically active toward the emulsion.

Most of the reports of Anthony I have found on the internet associate this company with STEREO images. This type of lens would not be used in a stereo camera, or would it? Any one know?

jnantz
25-Nov-2007, 05:48

hi glenn

you could measure the hole diameters in the wheel, divide into the focal length
to find the realitive fstop and go from there ...

have fun :)

Peter K
25-Nov-2007, 09:43
E. & H, T. ANTHONY & CO., Manufacturers of Photographic Materials,
WHOLESALE AND RETAIL 501 BROADWAY N. Y. In addition to our main business of PHOTOGRAPHIC MATERIALS, we are Headquarters for the following, viz: STEREOICOPES & STEREOSCOPIC VIEWS, Of these we have an immense assortment, including War Scenes

There is a link to the history of Anthony & Co NYC, later Ansco Binghampton http://www.fiberq.com/cam/anth.htm
and to your lens http://www.fiberq.com/cam/anthony/vincent.htm

Peter K

ic-racer
26-Nov-2007, 11:45
There is a link to the history of Anthony & Co NYC, later Ansco Binghampton http://www.fiberq.com/cam/anth.htm
and to your lens http://www.fiberq.com/cam/anthony/vincent.htm

Peter K

I should have checked there, thanks for the links!

I guess based on the inscription of the company name on the lens it should be from 1862-1901

Uli Mayer
27-Nov-2007, 07:04
My Anthony Illustrated Catalogue, January 1891, lists such a cone barrel lens under "Anthony's Single Combination Lenses" and says:

(full quote)
For ordinary landscape work these lenses give very brillant effects, fully covering the plates specified. They are the best lenses in the market at the price. All have rotating diaphragms, so that the time of exposure may varied to suit the subject.

No. 0, for 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 plates ...... $ 3.50
No. 1, " 4 x 5 plates .................. $ 3.75
No. 2 " 5 x 8 plates .................. $ 4.50
No. 3 " 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 plates ....... $ 7.00
No. 4 " 8 x 10 plates .............. $ 7.00

(no details given about the lens design)

So your lens' coverage is as Ole said.

ic-racer
27-Nov-2007, 16:27
Thanks for the info on the coverage.

I calculated my f-stops on the f-stop wheel and they fall on the correct logarthmic displacement exactly between the commonly numbered stops, ie 16 [19] 22 [25] 32 [40] 45 [50] 64.

I'm still not shure how I am going to 'shutter' this lens. I may need to rig some neutral density wratten filter into the front assembly so I can get the exposures longer than a couple of seconds. I will probably be shooting this lens at f40. That will give me about 1/8th sec exposure in sunlight (EI 50 film). So I may need a 1.5 ND filter (5 stops).

I noticed the lenses shown on the http://www.fiberq.com site all have the front 'nose' of the lens polished. I polished mine also, but it was very difficult to polish, and now I am convinced that the front nose had been chemically 'blackened' originally.

ic-racer
27-Nov-2007, 16:40
Well, the 'inflation calculator' indicates that $4.50 lens would cost about $97.38 in today's dollars. Hmmm...There are not many new camera lenses you could by today for $97.38, and certainly NO large format lenses.

ic-racer
27-Nov-2007, 23:42
I re-measured my f-stop holes with a dial caliper (rather than just a ruler as before) and got numbers that even more closely follow the correct mathematical sequence:

16 [19.2] 22 [26.8] 32 [39] 45 [55] 64

Peter K
28-Nov-2007, 02:48
It looks like the Dallmeyer / Stoltze row 12,5 - 18 - 25 - 36 - 50, corrected for the transmission of the lens.

Peter K

ic-racer
5-Mar-2008, 19:50
This lens project has been on the back-burner for a while. I finally got around to polishing the brass and cleaning the lens.

I am not an expert on these lenses, but my impression was that the whole 'nose' was coated with the 'lamp-black' because it was extremely hard to polish. Therefore, I went ahead and painted the whole nose with Testors Flat Black in an airbrush.

Now I need to work on the lensboard. I have been using model aircraft plywood which has worked out well so far.

So, the plan for this lens is to just use it on the Century 8x10. Since I have the 8x10 enlarger now, I can just enlarge the central portion if I want (rather than makinig a 5x7 reducing back). Or I can see how it looks with the vignetted corners on the full 8x10 frame.

Glenn Thoreson
5-Mar-2008, 21:13
Wow! It looks just like new. My guess is you're going to like what that old lens will do for you. Please show us what you get. Enjoy!

Peter K
6-Mar-2008, 01:39
To get this warm golden hue of old brass and also to protect the lens you should paint the lens with a thin layer of Zapon varnish, nitrocellulose solved in amylacetat. This was the laquer used in the days your lens was made. But be patient, it needs some time to get this special hue after laquering.

ic-racer
6-Mar-2008, 08:29
To get this warm golden hue of old brass and also to protect the lens you should paint the lens with a thin layer of Zapon varnish, nitrocellulose solved in amylacetat. This was the laquer used in the days your lens was made. But be patient, it needs some time to get this special hue after laquering.

That is a good idea. When I re-did my Century view, I laquered all the brass pieces with nicrocellulose laquer. For the brass lenses, I was not sure if they were laquered.

Jim Galli
6-Mar-2008, 08:42
Later in the next century when anastigmats were common the achromatic meniscus found favor with portrait photogs that were looking for a softer lens. Yours is restricted to probably f13 - f16 wide open which is the threshold for a sharp enough image to be passable in the 1860's. Just for fun you could remove the entire aperture mech so that you just have the empty barrel as a shade and the lens with no other restrictions. Have a look on the GG than at f5 or 6 and you'll see a very soft image. Actually there will be a sharp image but with tons of glow from the non corrections that softens it.

ic-racer
7-Mar-2008, 08:24
Later in the next century when anastigmats were common the achromatic meniscus found favor with portrait photogs that were looking for a softer lens. Yours is restricted to probably f13 - f16 wide open which is the threshold for a sharp enough image to be passable in the 1860's. Just for fun you could remove the entire aperture mech so that you just have the empty barrel as a shade and the lens with no other restrictions. Have a look on the GG than at f5 or 6 and you'll see a very soft image. Actually there will be a sharp image but with tons of glow from the non corrections that softens it.

That sounds like the look I would like to get. I will try it!

ic-racer
6-Oct-2009, 12:28
Finally I'm going to get a chance to try this lens.

Lynn Jones
13-Oct-2009, 15:22
The two companies merged at about Civil War time, in the 1890's it was renamed Anthony & Scoville, after that it was simplified to Ansco.

The company bought (for a substantial sum) the rights to the Rev. Hannibal Goodwin's invention of "film" which was "stolen" through an arrangement with Eastman and employees of the US patent office. After that, Ansco sued Eastman successfully in around 1903 or so.

Ansco was the most important maker of film, paper, chemicals and certain cameras primarily for the professional. Because controlling interest of Ansco was held by Agfa, the US Government during WWII took it over under the "Alien Properties Control Act". The Feds fouled it up so badly that it crashed in the 1960's leaving behind only another division doing chemicals, commercial detergents, and plastics under the name of General Aniline and Film. It was very sad since much of the development of color films came from there.

Lynn

ic-racer
5-Sep-2012, 19:01
Finally a photograph taken with the above combination of Anthony lens and Century 8x10 camera.