PDA

View Full Version : Master Technika IV 5x4

kev curry
24-Nov-2007, 11:52
Dear Forum

A very dear friend of mine would like to buy me an "enduring photographic gift" to further my love of mainly landscape photography. So I thought It cant get any more enduring than a good used Master Technika can it! I have never seen let alone used such a camera and know next to nothing about them except their reputation for precision and build quality, but the thought of working with a camera that will likely last a life time is very appealing indeed. I know there are many opinions about cameras but what do think about this..... a very fine and enduring friendship embodied in a very fine and enduring view camera.

Any thoughts shared would be most welcome.
Best kev

Ps: If I was hiking a long way I would use my 5x4 Tachi.

Also would it be an easy matter to remove the anatomical hand grip from a Master VI not a Master IV as the heading suggests without being left with something unsightly once removed?

Bob Salomon
24-Nov-2007, 12:12
Well you can't buy a Master Technika IV. The IV was an earlier model discontinued in the 1950s and replaced by the V which was discontinued in the 70s and that was replaced by the MAster Technika. There are three Master Technika models. The Master Technika Classic; the Master Technika 2000 and the recently released Master Technika 3000. But there never was a Master Technika IV or a Master Technika V.

kev curry
24-Nov-2007, 13:38
This is a pick of the Master...? Bob. What do you think?

kev curry
24-Nov-2007, 13:42
heres another...

Bill_1856
24-Nov-2007, 13:50
http://www.kqed.org/arts/people/spark/profile.jsp?id=7081

KJB
24-Nov-2007, 14:13
Hello Kev,

Think we're both looking at the same camera. :D

Peter K
24-Nov-2007, 14:15
Hi Kev,

it's the same with Intel's microprocessors, after the 486 they named the 586 Pentium. Linhof named the Technika VI "Master Technika". This is the camera on your pictures.

There is an instruction for older Technika's http://www.largeformatphotography.info/linhof/technika.html

The Master is much more versatile, specially with wide-angle lenses.

Peter K

kev curry
24-Nov-2007, 14:32
Thanks Bill that was a most inspiring and moving piece of film. Thank Peter for confirming the model.
Ahhh...........rumbled by the KJB:D

KJB
24-Nov-2007, 14:41
;-)

David A. Goldfarb
24-Nov-2007, 14:54
Excellent film. Thanks for the link, Bill.

kev curry
24-Nov-2007, 14:55
Would you shell out hard cash for a camera from a seller with ZERO feedback?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110196327408&fromMakeTrack=true

KJB
24-Nov-2007, 14:57
Nope.

:D

Bob Salomon
24-Nov-2007, 15:04
This is a pick of the Master...? Bob. What do you think?

That is the Master not a IV or V. Now get the serial number and we can tell you when it was made. A Master Technika Classic can be 30 years old.

kev curry
24-Nov-2007, 15:26
Just requested the serial number from the seller Bob.
Many thanks
kev

Peter K
24-Nov-2007, 15:28
Also would it be an easy matter to remove the anatomical hand grip from a Master VI not a Master IV as the heading suggests without being left with something unsightly once removed?
You can do it with your fingertip and back is as easy. But when you use the Technika as a handheld-camera the grip is very useful. There is also a grip for the right side aviable. :D

Peter K

Martin Miksch
24-Nov-2007, 15:32
Sorry to disturb, but I dont see the missing link between landscape and Technika.^^
Regards
Martin

kev curry
24-Nov-2007, 15:32
Here it is Bob:Camera S/N: 6485243

Bob Salomon
24-Nov-2007, 16:26
Here it is Bob:Camera S/N: 6485243

kev curry
24-Nov-2007, 17:01
Excellent Bob thanks.....

mharvey65
25-Nov-2007, 01:59
Would you shell out hard cash for a camera from a seller with ZERO feedback?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110196327408&fromMakeTrack=true

Hi Kev,

I would be very suspicious of spending money on eBay with a ZERO feedback seller unless:

1. The account was set up specifically to sell items under one 'banner'
2. The seller had a number of related items which showed he was a professional in the field
3. The seller was informed and knowledgeable in his reply's to questions
4. The pricing was consistent with a knowledge of the current used market for the items
5. The seller has a returns policy and a verified address
6. The seller is me
:)

Kindest,

Michael

kev curry
25-Nov-2007, 04:01
What a surprise Michael! I must say thats inspires some buyer confidence.
Your Master looks very fine indeed! Now.........away to do some thinking on this!
Very best of luck with your auction. I'm sure a fair few more folks will be watching!
Crikey.......maybe I've inadvertently stirred up a buzzing hive of competing interests:rolleyes:

Best regards
kev

kev curry
25-Nov-2007, 04:19
Sorry to disturb, but I dont see the missing link between landscape and Technika.^^
Regards
Martin

Hi Martin it would be interesting to know your thinking on this?
Regards
kev

Martin Miksch
26-Nov-2007, 07:06
IMO the Technicas except the newest Technica 3000 or so cannot use wide lenses, its a matter of construction. The bed cannot rotate down enough to bring it out of the image, this is an issue with all "Press cameras", I dont know your experience with LF, but this type of camera has a "fixed rear frame", so focussing is done only with front, distance between lens and film has to be the same as the focal lenght of the lens to focus a LF baby at infinity and with a wide lens you just have some cm distance, hope you understand.
Regards
Martin

David A. Goldfarb
26-Nov-2007, 07:54
I've shot verticals with my Tech V and the bed dropped two clicks using a 55mm and 65mm lenses and the Wideangle Focusing Device, and one click with 75mm and 90mm lenses in recessed lensboards on the main focusing rail, and the bed does not get into the frame. If one had one of the newest ultrawide lenses with enough coverage to get the bed into the frame with the right combination of movements, even with an older Tech IV or V it would still be possible to turn the camera sideways with a strong tripod head for verticals and avoid having the bed in the frame. This even works for verticals with a 75mm lens and a 6x17cm back on a 4x5 Technika.