PDA

View Full Version : it's deja vu all over again!

John Kasaian
24-Nov-2007, 08:45
I picked up a nifty little GVII on ebay and went shopping for some 4x5 film.
This is wierd.
I checked Freestyle's site and they had Arista Pro 125 (thats repackaged Ilford FP-4+) listed as being in stock at their store priced at 25 sheets for $15 IIRC.
I thought the stuff was long, long, gone since the "house brand" has since morphed from the Arista Pro to Arista II (Agfa IIRC) to Arista.edu (Forte) to the current Arista .edu Ultra (Foma)
Maybe it is a mistake on the web page.
Maybe they found a stock of 3 year old film in a back room somewhere.
Or maybe I need a new prescription for my eyeglasses (well I know I need that.)

So I was wondering, is anyone here currently ordering and using Arista Pro from Freestyle? If so, is it still good?

SamReeves
24-Nov-2007, 10:36
They are using Ilford as their supplier again? What about HP5??? :confused:

rwyoung
24-Nov-2007, 11:17
I understood that Ilford was no longer in the private label business. The web site says stock in store only (but that doesn't mean it won't ship out, just takes a little longer). My guess is this is old, cold stock left over from before the then of the Ilford deal.

Arista EDU.Ultra film is Foma. Arista EDU is FortePan (old stock) and Arista II (or something like that name) is from Agfa stock (again, old stock). I may be misremembering the Agfa bit, that might just be the Arista II paper.

Anyway, if they will ship it to you, then get it. That is a good price. But don't expect to see it again anytime soon with the Arista label! :(

Ash
25-Nov-2007, 07:15
FP4+ is 125....

davidb
25-Nov-2007, 11:43
From Freestyle

"With a true speed of ISO 125 you can shoot this film as rated, confident that you got the shot."

John Kasaian
28-Nov-2007, 18:48
WOW! I just checked out the Freestyle site and the 4x5 Arista Pro 125 is GONE!
Just like last week's pay, next month's rent and real rock and roll!

Lenny Eiger
28-Nov-2007, 20:51
From Freestyle

"With a true speed of ISO 125 you can shoot this film as rated, confident that you got the shot."

What a bunch of baloney. Depends on the shadow detail you want, of course. No such thing as true speed. Based on what....

Mick Fagan
30-Nov-2007, 22:18
Rating a film for a specific film and camera situation with the available light, is I think where you may possibly be confused. I personally rate FP4 at 100 or 125 ASA depending on which camera or lens I'm using. One shutter in one lens is about 1/3 of a stop fast at 1/30, but correct two stops either side of that speed.

ISO is a measure of the actual film's speed.

Film speed is found by referencing the Hurter–Driffield curve, or D–logE curve, for the film. This is a plot of optical density vs. log of exposure (lux-s). There are typically five regions in the curve: the base + fog, the toe, the linear region, the shoulder, and the overexposed region. Following the curve to the point where density exceeds the base + fog by 0.1, find the corresponding exposure. Dividing 0.8 by that exposure yields the linear ISO speed rating.

I pulled that last paragraph from wikipedia

Mick.

John Cahill
1-Dec-2007, 11:22
[QUOTE=Mick Fagan;295993]Rating a film for a specific film and camera situation with the available light, is I think where you may possibly be confused. I personally rate FP4 at 100 or 125 ASA depending on which camera or lens I'm using. One shutter in one lens is about 1/3 of a stop fast at 1/30, but correct two stops either side of that speed.

I pulled that last paragraph from wikipedia

Which, of course, means it must be correct!!(vbg).

ISO and ASA, DIN, and others are/were all speed ratings based, as said, upon specific test criteria.

If one is using and ISO rated 125 film, and one's film tests with accurate meter, shutter, etc, etc. tell you to shoot at a meter setting other than the ISO rating, we are using an Exposure Index (EI), not an ISO/ASA/Din/ or whatever.

Mick Fagan
1-Dec-2007, 20:51
John, you have quoted me out of context.

A films speed, using the ISO system, can be worked out surprisingly easily, I have done this.

A personal EV for your system, is another matter entirely.

Mick.

John Cahill
2-Dec-2007, 17:46
John, you have quoted me out of context.

A films speed, using the ISO system, can be worked out surprisingly easily, I have done this.

A personal EV for your system, is another matter entirely.

Mick.

Mea culpa
John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Mick Fagan
2-Dec-2007, 23:09
Not a problem very easy to do.

Mick.