PDA

View Full Version : Wollensak Graphic Raptar f4.5 6 3/8" any good?

Dr Klaus Schmitt
21-Nov-2007, 16:55
I wonder if anyone had experiences using that lens?
I would also like to know which type that is (Tessar?)
and the coverage of it.

Thanks Klaus

Dan Fromm
21-Nov-2007, 18:40
Klaus, it is another tessar type. Same coverage as any other 6 3/8" f/4.5 Tessar, i.e., about 7". I don't have one, do have the 138 which, raptures in sales pitches on eBay nothwithstanding, is a dog. Not even as good as a 135/4.5 Tominon.

Buy it anyway to maintain your standing as a serious collector. Gotta have at least one of everything.

John Kasaian
21-Nov-2007, 18:58
I've got an old uncoated pre-war (I think) 162mm f4.5 velostigmat series II. If it is the earlier version of your Raptar I found mine to be actually quite good with a nice soft look at wide apertures and very sharp when stopped down---if it is indeed the same lens. With tessars things tend to go to the worms around the edges when movements get enthusiastic, but there are exceptions to this (450 Nikkor M for example) ut the Wolly isn't one of them IMHO.
Try it---you might like it!

Shen45
21-Nov-2007, 19:22
Klaus, I have a 162mm Raptar and it is one of my favourite lenses. Stopped down 22 or more it is the equal in all respects to any lens I have and it has old style character imparted by the Tessar design. I have Sironars and Ronars.

Great lens, and if it is in an Alphax shutter a 2 year old child with an axe can easily clean it and give it another 20 years of life. If it is broke though ---------- another story and another axe!!

Dr Klaus Schmitt
22-Nov-2007, 00:38
Klaus, it is another tessar type. Same coverage as any other 6 3/8" f/4.5 Tessar, i.e., about 7". I don't have one, do have the 138 which, raptures in sales pitches on eBay nothwithstanding, is a dog. Not even as good as a 135/4.5 Tominon.

Buy it anyway to maintain your standing as a serious collector. Gotta have at least one of everything.

Thanks Dan,

found your earlier comment on that 138mm you have which actually triggered that question, since I got (also) that 161mm lens and mine isn't THAT bad.

In that case I wanted to use that lens for a test....

btw. just found a site where someone actually published test shots on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/asbalyan/sets/72157600560285378/
not THAT great, but also not that bad...

Thanks to all for the valuable contributions!

Cheers, Klaus

R. Peters
19-Mar-2017, 15:18
This is an old post, but the person on flickr doesn't say if he has the enlarging raptar or "taking" raptar.

There is an enlarging raptar and one in a shutter (or barrel) for use as a taking lens.

And there is, I believe, also a "Graphic Raptar". I'm not sure we're all talking about the same lens.