PDA

View Full Version : Jobo CPA-2 and Agfa lith ortho film development

Dave Photoman
21-Nov-2007, 09:05
I am just getting into LF photography and bought a jobo cpa2 with the lift. I also got some inexpensive (though about 5 or more years old) Agfa ortho F0-71p rapidoline (possibly lith) 8x10 film. I do not know if it is continuous tone (though the sparse instructions suggests that it is not). My question is what developer should I use to develop this film if I want to achieve a more continuous tone look for portraits and the like (rodinal, D76, etc.)? Also what dilution and time should I use and how many ML per 8x10 sheet of film should I use in the expert drum (I am using a 3005 expert drum with the cpa2). I realize that this is a starting point and that I will have to do some experimenting to get results, but I do appreciate some starting help.

Thanks

Dave

Peter K
23-Nov-2007, 08:37
Hi Dave,

the Agfa ortho F0-71p is an orthochromatic, green-sensitive, Lith-film on a thin polyester base. It was used in the field of graphic arts. With the thin base you will have trouble with the flatness in normal sheetfilm-holders specially at 8x10". Lith-films have small cubic silverhalogen crystals and there is no possibilty to get real half-tones. Also this film is orthochromatic, so portraiture-work needs retouching to erase all blemishes etc. :mad:

Peter K

Dave Photoman
23-Nov-2007, 16:06
But how about the development of this type of film to maximize the tonal range. Rodinal, pyrocat-hd, etc. And what's a good starting dilution?

Peter K
23-Nov-2007, 16:49
Try for example rodinal with time and dilution for a low-speed film. The speed of a lith-film is nearly the same as multigrade paper.

Peter K