PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a 12" Kodak Commercial Ektar to an Ebony

butterfly
21-Nov-2007, 02:45
Hello everyone,

I bought a Kodak Commercial Ektar 12" F6.3 with an ACME #4 shutter, and it's arrived today (here on my desk at work), so do not have my Ebony 45SU here. So, I am now thinking it is going to be a problem. Over to the experts for opinions!

It's a BIG lens, and wonder if it will go safely on the standard Ebony lens board (someone can cut one to size for me and get the right size hole in it!). The diameter of the lens is almost the size of the lensboard. I'm concerned that it may be too heavy to mount on the Ebony and could put undue strain on it ? Anyone else used this lens on a wooden field camera like the Ebony? Is it a bad idea?! Am I worrying about nothing?

Lastly, the seller said the lens was fixed at x synch only, which is ok, so how do I connect a modern synch lead to those little two prongs on the lens. I have no idea here!

Hmmm, not so sure now it was a good idea. Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards

Steve

Steve Hamley
21-Nov-2007, 05:26
Steve,

Yes, it will fit. The Ilex #4 is the largest sgutter that will fit on a Technika-style board without "contortions". I have one on a Technika-clone board, fitted by Adam at S.K. Grimes. Usually use it on 8x10 though.

Steve

rknewcomb
21-Nov-2007, 06:19
<Lastly, the seller said the lens was fixed at x synch only, which is ok, so how do I connect a modern synch lead to those little two prongs on the lens. I have no idea here!>

You can buy a conversion cord that goes from the Bi-pole flash outlet to a modern PC connection. They are often found in relation to Graflex equipment on the auction site. Someone still makes them new and they sell new for about $30.

Robert

butterfly
21-Nov-2007, 06:50
Ah, excellent. Put my mind at rest!

BIG thanks for the response. I'll look up those Graflex leads.

Steve

Scott Davis
21-Nov-2007, 07:15
Paramount is the company that makes the sync cords - I'd order one new from B&H or Calumet, rather than buying a used one on ebay. I too have a 12" Commercial Ektar mounted to a technika sized board, and it just fits, no cutting of the flange. However, depending on the size and style of your flange, you will have to attach the flange to the lensboard via screws and washers, instead of having it hold the lens on with friction alone. Not a big deal, but it will mean getting a little creative with the attachment, unless you send it to a machine shop to have the work done.