PDA

View Full Version : Ektar 203mm in Compur shutter

Void
18-Nov-2007, 07:36
Hello

In this ebay auction <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180179980771> there is a Kodak Ektar 203mm lens in Compur shutter. I find it a bit unusual. Were the produced originally with this shutter?
Which one is better: Supermatic or Compur?

venchka
18-Nov-2007, 08:30
I saw that lens last night. It seemed to me that a Synchro-Compur shutter may have the potential to be better than a Supermatic (X).

Link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180179980771

Enquiring minds want to know.

I would also like to know if anyone here has any experience with this eBay seller: nsfw located in Ohio.

David Lindquist
18-Nov-2007, 08:37
I have a 203mm f/7.7 Ektar made in 1959 as was this example on eBay (serial number starts with RT). It is in a Compur shutter. The shutter is also marked "Graphic", as is the one on eBay. I understand that for a period of time Graflex sold their 4 X 5 Graphic view with this lens mounted in this shutter. I expect that Kodak did the lens mounting in the shutters supplied by ( and probably engraved "Graphic" by) Deckel. I think it's unlikely that cells threaded for the Supermatic shutter would fit the Compur. Both shutters have a good reputation. Parts might be easier to get for the Compur.
David

Jim Rhoades
18-Nov-2007, 10:20
On the other hand the Ektar 203 "Mount 370" came stock in a Epsilon shutter and is a direct drop in for a #0 Copal or Compur. I could not tell from the photo. It will say mount 370 right on the rim.

philbed
18-Nov-2007, 11:05
To answer Void's question, it depends where you are living in. I just bought a 203 mm Ektar in a compur shutter. I am french and it is easier for me to CLA a compur shutter in France rather than a supermatic. I had a full range collection of Kodak ektar but it was a pity to send them in US each time they need to be CLA'd. The Ektar in a compur shutter are from the last produced by Kodak. But they are not better than the one mounted on supermatic.

Void
18-Nov-2007, 16:21
Hello

I live in Poland and precise mechanics love Compur here, but I had completely no experience in so USA product as Supermatic.

Is it only a case with 203mm, or other Kodak lenses are also available in Compur?

Andy Eads
18-Nov-2007, 16:54
Void,
I own a 203 in a Compur and one in a Supermatic. S. K. Grimes cleaned the Compur for me and it runs just fine. I cleaned the Supermatic myself and it is just fine. The lens elements on for the Supermatic can be disassembled easily for cleaning. The elements in the Compur cells are swagged and are not easily disassembled. There is a slight amount of haze in my Compur cells and none in the Supermatic cells (I cleaned them). Still, I cannot tell any difference in performance between the lenses. I shot a comparison between the Ektars and my 210 Symmar. Within their respective coverages they are all superb lenses. If I have to lug a lens around any distance, the Ektars win for their light weight in either shutter. If I need coverage, the Symmar wins.
Andy

Void
19-Nov-2007, 01:44
Hello

That's exactly the kind of information I was waiting for. I am now watching the prices of Ektar WF 203mm, because in near future I am planning to buy one. Right now I don't have any LF camera, but my dream is to buy Graphic View II in March.

rob
19-Nov-2007, 10:44
I also noticed that many 203mm ektar lenses that I've seen had haze internal of the cells. The cell doesn't have slots for spanner wrench, how did you disassemble it?

rob

Void,
I own a 203 in a Compur and one in a Supermatic. S. K. Grimes cleaned the Compur for me and it runs just fine. I cleaned the Supermatic myself and it is just fine. The lens elements on for the Supermatic can be disassembled easily for cleaning. The elements in the Compur cells are swagged and are not easily disassembled. There is a slight amount of haze in my Compur cells and none in the Supermatic cells (I cleaned them). Still, I cannot tell any difference in performance between the lenses. I shot a comparison between the Ektars and my 210 Symmar. Within their respective coverages they are all superb lenses. If I have to lug a lens around any distance, the Ektars win for their light weight in either shutter. If I need coverage, the Symmar wins.
Andy

CP Goerz
19-Nov-2007, 23:50
Parts for Supermatics arre really getting scarce, I don't think thats a problem with the Compurs. Most US 203mm were popped into Supermatics meanwhile European ones were popped into all kinds of nice shutters...Synchros and the like.

The cells do come apart and they are easy to clean as its a lens made from four elements with no cement, there should be a washer you can use finger pressure on and that will unscrew(on the inside cell), once that is off you have access to the inside of the front cell. Be sure not to flip the glass over as your lens will be blurry next time you shoot with it.