PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh! Sweet HABS assignments!

Kirk Gittings
17-Nov-2007, 17:28
Check out this historic beauty, full HABS documentation in Phoenix last week. That elevation on the left is the grand entry.

David Karp
17-Nov-2007, 17:32
Oh, the glamour of architectural photography!

Ralph Barker
17-Nov-2007, 17:44
Any paid assignment is good, but one has to wonder about a HABS designation for this building.

Kirk Gittings
17-Nov-2007, 17:53
Any paid assignment is good, but one has to wonder about a HABS designation for this building.

True enough about the pay, this one is being torn down-historic federal property-needs HABS documentation!

But I found this on the way back. Route 66 tourist trap from 1925. Much more fun.

David A. Goldfarb
17-Nov-2007, 18:02
Obviously a CIA interrogation center.

Kirk Gittings
17-Nov-2007, 18:06
Oh, the glamour of architectural photography!

Well sometimes......this was the week before however, for Antoine Predock.

jetcode
17-Nov-2007, 18:49
speaking of architecture - anyonne know of a good book on lighting interiors?

Kirk Gittings
17-Nov-2007, 18:57
Frankly I am not much impressed by what is out there. The problem is that every room is different. If there was such a book I would use it as a text in my class. Unless there is something I haven't seen? Try Norman Mcgrath's, Photographing Buildings Inside and Out or something like that.

Frank Petronio
17-Nov-2007, 19:49
It's kind of like fashion photography Kirk... ;-)

Capocheny
17-Nov-2007, 19:51
Frankly I am not much impressed by what is out there. The problem is that every room is different. If there was such a book I would use it as a text in my class. Unless there is something I haven't seen? Try Norman Mcgrath's, Photographing Buildings Inside and Out or something like that.

Hi Kirk,

I've not read the following book personally but I have read through the others in the series... have you seen this one?

http://www.sinar.ch/site/index__gast-e-1808-50-1929.html

Cheers

David Karp
17-Nov-2007, 20:23
Well sometimes......this was the week before however, for Antoine Predock.

Well, they all can't be as exciting as that Phoenix job. :rolleyes:

Kirk Gittings
17-Nov-2007, 21:36
Very funny David.

Capocheny, No I have not seen that one and I can't tell much from that brief. I can say that the approach with film is very different than digital capture and I can't tell which one this is.

David Karp
17-Nov-2007, 21:45
Could not help myself.

I really like the dusk version of those two photos. Also enjoyed the Route 66 site.

Capocheny
17-Nov-2007, 22:56
Very funny David.

Capocheny, No I have not seen that one and I can't tell much from that brief. I can say that the approach with film is very different than digital capture and I can't tell which one this is.

Hi Kirk,

I seem to recall reading somewhere that they were looking at revamping the series to include more digital information. Whether this has been done or not is another story.

The last edition was predominantly film oriented or, at least, the book on Landscape Photography was.

The only down-side to the series is that they're pretty pricey... but then, what piece of Sinar gear isn't? :)

Cheers

Eric Rose
18-Nov-2007, 13:32
Obviously a CIA interrogation center.

If it were located in Syria I would tend to agree with you.

PViapiano
18-Nov-2007, 22:33
speaking of architecture - anyonne know of a good book on lighting interiors?

Try Lighting for Interiors at Amazon..also a few copies on eBay.

Great photographs and an explanation of each one...same series as Lighting for Still Life and Lighting for Portraits, by Rotovision

There are quite a few natural light photos in this book, just so you know...well worth the money, in fact, every book in the series is fantastic!

Kirk Gittings
18-Nov-2007, 23:20
Dave,

Predock prefers the sunset version. I go back and forth. The twilight was made as a potential cover with room for the masthead and leads etc.

Here are a couple of other new projects. The first two were for HOK, the second two for Goettsch Partners of Chicago.

Greg Lockrey
18-Nov-2007, 23:35
If it were located in Syria I would tend to agree with you.

Yeah, "it's in Syria alright", that's what they would tell the intergetoree anyway.:D

Mark Sampson
19-Nov-2007, 13:27
Kirk, marvelous work.