PDA

View Full Version : "New" Packard shutter question

dom
16-Nov-2007, 12:49
Does anyone have experience with this "New" shutter ?

"The New Improved Packard-Ideal Shutter no. 6 For Time And Instantaneous Exposures"

http://www.packardshutter.com/

I'm thinking of making a front mount shutter for a large barrel lens and this seemed like a good option. FYI I need the syncro.

Thanks

Rob Vinnedge
16-Nov-2007, 13:04
I've just ordered one from Reno Farinelli, the son of the original owner of Packard, and am having it rear mounted on an Apo-Ronar by S.K. Grimes. I'll let you know how it works out. In the meantime, give Reno a call (his number is on the Packard website). You will really enjoy talking to him. Adam, from Grimes, is also very helpful and informative.

Gene McCluney
17-Nov-2007, 09:34
This isn't a "new" design. The "New Improved Packard-Ideal Shutter no. 6" is just the name for the Packard shutter design that has Time and Instantaneous modes that has been around for quite a while, and is still being manufactured. All Packard shutters work great, and are practically a lifetime investment. They never break under normal use.

John Berry
19-Nov-2007, 00:02
I bought one new and I'm very happy with it. The one thing I would do different is spring for the one that has the flash sync built in.

Kirk Keyes
19-Nov-2007, 13:36
I bought one new and I'm very happy with it. The one thing I would do different is spring for the one that has the flash sync built in.

You mean the #6 Synchro model?

Doug Howk
20-Nov-2007, 11:55
I have 3 of the #6 (two are new from Reno and the 3rd from the 1930's), and they all work fine (reliable and also cool to use).

John Berry
22-Nov-2007, 00:45
You mean the #6 Synchro model? Yes.