PDA

View Full Version : Linhof rangefinder problem

kelzo
16-Nov-2007, 10:45
I just bought a Linhof Super Tech V 4x5 off eBay and the rangefinder doesn't work. I've contacted the seller (100% pos feedback) and he tells me the photographer friend of his who used it (recently passed away) never used the rangefinder. He used the viewfinder and ground glass. I think I paid a little more than the set up was worth because I was enamored with the original box and passport which came along with the camera. There is also a Schneider Kreusnach (sp?) 150mm lens, the viewfinder I mentioned, a detachable sports-finder (which I would never use), and a homemade (nicely done) dark cloth. The viewfinder looks like it has a little dust inside, but I think that can be easily cleaned and it is otherwise very clear. The bellows looks good, but is showing the slightest signs of Linhof age at some of the corners. The cam for the lens is where it should be. There is also a hand grip which is in very good shape. The only thing that isn't working is the rangefinder. On the inside of the box which the bellows etc sits in, there seems to be a piece or two for the rangefinder that are loose and not really connected to anything.

Also, we can't figure out how that lever for the rise works. I don't want to break it by playing around with it. How does that work?

So, any ideas as to what may be wrong with the viewfinder, and would it be worth trying to fix? I paid $2,000 for the set up and the seller has told me that unless it is cost-prohibitive, he will pay for the repairs. Otherwise, I would have to return it for a refund. It's a shame. I would like to keep the spirit of the now gone owner of this thing alive by using it myself, but the hassle of fixing the rangefinder may outweigh my desire to do that.

Thanks for any thoughts/help,
Kelly

David A. Goldfarb
16-Nov-2007, 11:20
Do you have a cam for the lens? It should have a serial number on top that matches the lens and no serial number on the bottom. Are the infinity stops set correctly for the lens? If you look at the page on the Technika at cameraquest.com, you can see where the cam is and what it looks like. When the standard is pulled forward onto the focusing rail, the cam, which looks like a blade, engages a wheel on the bottom of the focusing rail.

Even if you do have a proper cam and infinity stops for your lens, it would be wise to send the camera to Marflex or your local Linhof service shop for a CLA, because the rangefinder may require internal calibration, and the camera may need other service.

The tip of the rise lever pulls out and turns. One way makes the standard go up, and the other way makes the standard go down. Don't force it when you reach the bottom, or you'll break off the bottom teeth. If the bottom teeth are already broken, try lifting it a bit as you ratchet up, so the gear catches.

kelzo
16-Nov-2007, 12:03
Thank you David. Yes, the cam is in place and that mechanism seems to be working properly. It just doesn't seem to engage the rangefinder. Nothing changes at all when viewing through the rangefinder. The little image in the yellow circle does nothing no matter how far you focus in or out. I think I read something last night (was nearly asleep from days of lacking it) about the cost of repairing a rangefinder for this camera being somewhere in the neighborhood of $400 through Marflex. Sound about right to anybody? I can look up their contact info on this site and call them on Mon, but I don't know if the seller of the camera will be willing to pay $400 + shipping charges for the repair.

Bob Salomon
16-Nov-2007, 12:19
Thank you David. Yes, the cam is in place and that mechanism seems to be working properly. It just doesn't seem to engage the rangefinder. Nothing changes at all when viewing through the rangefinder. The little image in the yellow circle does nothing no matter how far you focus in or out. I think I read something last night (was nearly asleep from days of lacking it) about the cost of repairing a rangefinder for this camera being somewhere in the neighborhood of $400 through Marflex. Sound about right to anybody? I can look up their contact info on this site and call them on Mon, but I don't know if the seller of the camera will be willing to pay $400 + shipping charges for the repair.

Marflex is 252 652 4401. Or marflex@aol.com. A phone call is fastest but they are away until Monday.

Without seeing your camera the cost of repair can not always be accurately given. Some rangefinder repairs are simple adjustments or resetting of the infinity stops. Some require re-adjusting internal parts. And some, like yours, may need more time and parts if things are missing. On the other hand is something is simply disconnected the charge may not be as high.

Unfortunately when someone has been doing DIY repairs or mods as it sounds like your camera has had the next owner may cost more.

David A. Goldfarb
16-Nov-2007, 12:49
The rangefinder covers a fairly wide range, so the first time you look at it, you might be out of range and think nothing is happening.

Focus the camera at infinity (check the groundglass to be sure) and aim the rangefinder patch at something in the distance, then slowly focus closer and see if you see the second image move.

Brian Ellis
16-Nov-2007, 13:10
You operate the front rise lever by pulling the tip of the lever out. You'll see that it has four sides. Rotate the tip until the side that has a green dot on it is facing straight up. With the dot side facing up you should be able to ratchet the lever up and down, which will raise the front standard. To lower the front standard after raising it rotate the tip until the side with the green dot faces straight down. You should then be able to ratchet the lever up and down which will lower the front standard. Technikas have no front fall so the only time you'll be lowering the front standard is after you've raised it.

kelzo
17-Nov-2007, 13:20
Well thanks guys. David, unfortunately the rangefinder does nothing when I do what you've suggested. Nice try though. It seems to be disconnected, though I don't know why it would be even if the previous owner didn't like to use it. Strange. The camera does seem to be in good condition--needs a little cleaning, but there isn't a whole lot of wear showing. The leatherette is in good shape, the ground glass/fresnel is bright to view through, the lever is totally intact, including the teeth, the lens looks good and the shutter speeds sound accurate to my ear, and although I haven't checked the bellows for leaks, it looks pretty good. I just don't know if it will be worth it to wait for the thing to come back from Marflex if the price from them is right for the guy who sold it to me.

Does this sound like something you guys would try to work with or would you just send it back and get the next good looking one that comes down the pike (eBay)?

David A. Goldfarb
17-Nov-2007, 13:41
You might be able to get one that works out of the box, but in reality, it is usually good to send it for a CLA anyway. Martin will get it working 100%, and you will likely discover that things you thought were working fine weren't all there. I'd keep it and have it serviced, and if you're sending it in, you might think about having other lenses you might want cammed.

kelzo
17-Nov-2007, 14:03
Thanks David. That's reassuring to know. I have been watching these for a while on eBay and I see it's tough to find one with all its bits and pieces working, so I was expecting a small thing here or there but not a totally non-functioning rangefinder. I'll see what Marflex and the seller have to say and see if there's a dollar amount we can agree on to have this thing fixed/replaced. I've been looking forward to using better movements and a crisper lens than what I have with my Graflexes though. Guess I'll be using them for a bit longer....
Thanks again.

David A. Goldfarb
17-Nov-2007, 14:19
If a previous owner didn't tamper with the rangefinder, it could be something simple, like the spring that keeps the cam in contact with the feeler wheel, which isn't expensive in itself. Turnaround time at Marflex is a bit unpredictable, since it may be necessary to order parts from Germany, but when it comes back, you can be sure that everything works properly and is accurately calibrated.

Bob Salomon
17-Nov-2007, 14:33
If a previous owner didn't tamper with the rangefinder, it could be something simple, like the spring that keeps the cam in contact with the feeler wheel, which isn't expensive in itself. Turnaround time at Marflex is a bit unpredictable, since it may be necessary to order parts from Germany, but when it comes back, you can be sure that everything works properly and is accurately calibrated.

What this camera sounds like is that someone removed the rangefinder, or tried to, and then attempted to put it back together without knowing how to assemble it.

Bob Salomon
17-Nov-2007, 14:34

What this camera sounds like is that someone removed the rangefinder, or tried to, and then attempted to put it back together without knowing how to assemble it. Or tried to remove the rangefinder and just gave up leaving it in this condition.

kelzo
17-Nov-2007, 15:43
My guess, just by looking at the condition of the camera and the fact that the owner was still hanging on to the original box, passport, and little insignia/rope that was attached to the camera when it arrived new, is that he somehow lost the spring. A Linhof owner/user I know said he suspected it might just be that a spring was missing just inside the box of the camera where the lever for the cam comes in contact with the mechanism for the rangefinder. Am I making any sense? Anyhow, it seems like I should hang onto this one and send it to Marflex or at least get some kind of price range for fixing this rangefinder. Thanks so much. I was having trouble deciding whether this was a fatal flaw for how I want to use this camera or not.

kelzo
17-Nov-2007, 15:47
Update---My husband and I had to work on this together (rare these days)--one with his eye looking through the viewfinder and the other moving the rangefinder lever which is located inside the box of the camera. Move that little lever and the rangefinder dot moves into and out of focus. There is no spring there attaching it to the cam's lever. Does it sound like the mystery is solved??

kelzo
17-Nov-2007, 15:48
Sorry, meant rangefinder and not viewfinder.