PDA

View Full Version : 4x10 reducing backs?

Gary Tarbert
15-Nov-2007, 20:05
With the shen hao reducing back for their 8x10 ,how do you cut the film? and when you do how do you tell which side is which?
Because as i see it you will only have one notch left once you cut it in half.
Am i misreading this totally ,or can you buy the film precut and notched,Cheers gary

Nick_3536
15-Nov-2007, 20:35
Fotoimpex. I think Ilford.

Do a searching on cutting plenty of threads.

vinny
15-Nov-2007, 22:39
Fortepan 200 is still available. As for 8x10 buy a hand held paper punch and put a notch in yourself.

Gary Tarbert
16-Nov-2007, 03:03
Fotoimpex. I think Ilford.

Do a searching on cutting plenty of threads.Thanks i will do some research.
The only problem is i struggle too cut a straight line even with the lights on.cheers Gary

Jan Pedersen
16-Nov-2007, 07:57
Fortepan 200 is still available. As for 8x10 buy a hand held paper punch and put a notch in yourself.

vinny, Do you know of any Fortepan 200 stock? i did a little research a few weeks ago and found none except in 4x5

Scott Squires
16-Nov-2007, 12:35
The article below will answer most of your questions on 4x10. Also at the bottom of the article are several more articles you can read.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/4x10.html

I use a Rototrim 12" cutter to cut my 8x10 film into 4x10. I set the cutter up with a semi-permanent ruler edge so every cut is perfect. I also cut the film and then load it into the holders so no extra notching is needed. It really is easy and is needed to shoot color film.

Ilford just did a run of odd film sizes and I bought a years supply of FP4. You can try the View Camera store or Badger as there may be some 4x10 still available. I know 7x17 is still available.

prado333
17-Nov-2007, 04:45
where to buy a 4x10 slide board ? bender hasn´t and toho slide i don´t know where i can buy.

C Henry
17-Nov-2007, 08:00
As has been said previously, Ilford cut FP4+ and HP5+ to 4x10 and some places might have some in stock. Bergger cut the BPF200 to 4x10, and Fotoimpex (or retrophotographic in the UK) are able to get adox CHS100 - which is what I use, and all sheets are notched.

For colour, I guess one would have to cut...

jetcode
18-Nov-2007, 08:47
The article below will answer most of your questions on 4x10. Also at the bottom of the article are several more articles you can read.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/4x10.html

I use a Rototrim 12" cutter to cut my 8x10 film into 4x10. I set the cutter up with a semi-permanent ruler edge so every cut is perfect. I also cut the film and then load it into the holders so no extra notching is needed. It really is easy and is needed to shoot color film.

Ilford just did a run of odd film sizes and I bought a years supply of FP4. You can try the View Camera store or Badger as there may be some 4x10 still available. I know 7x17 is still available.

scott,
1) how and when did you buy your years supply of 4x10 FP4?
2) I have been having problems with getting even cuts with a 12" rotatrim. The guide is too short. Since I want to cut 5x7 film as well how do you attach your semi-permanent ruler to the trimmer bed?

thanks, joe

Scott Squires
19-Nov-2007, 14:52
scott,
1) how and when did you buy your years supply of 4x10 FP4?
2) I have been having problems with getting even cuts with a 12" rotatrim. The guide is too short. Since I want to cut 5x7 film as well how do you attach your semi-permanent ruler to the trimmer bed?

thanks, joe

Joe

I bought FP4 and HP5 (10 boxes) from the VCS about 3 months ago. I placed an order about May 07 when Ilford was going to make a special run for the oddball LF and ULF sizes. There may be some 4x10 still available, I know 7x17 is still available.

On my Rotatrim I started in the daylight and wasted several sheets of 8x10 film that was already exposed. I bought a wood yardstick and cut it to about 11". Started cutting 8x10 in half until I had two exact 4x10 sheets and marked it. I mounted the wood ruler guide with glue and it has worked perfectly. The wood ruler gives me a nice edge to push the film against and I have not had any problems with alienment. It is really not semi permanently mounted, it is permanent but I could remove it if needed. I only cut 4x10 so the trimmer is just for cutting 4x10. If you are going to do both 4x10 and 5x7 I am not sure how you can fasten it to easily remove it and change to another dimension? It may make sense to have a seperate cutter for 5x7 as changing may make exact alignment a pain. Not cheap to have two cutters but it would make life easier.