PDA

View Full Version : how to put cambo back on

verbier123
14-Nov-2007, 13:31
I just got a new (to me) cambo monorail and was playing around with it and pulled the ground glass back off to attach a film holder. Can't seem to figure out how to put it back on, I must have done something wrong. Just wondering if there is anyone out there that can tell me how to put it back on and what is the correct way to un-attach the back so that you can use the film holder and not make a mess of things.

Thanks,
Brian

http://www.beetech.com/cambo/DSC_0013.jpg

http://www.beetech.com/cambo/DSC_0009.jpg

Tracy Storer
14-Nov-2007, 13:50
This used to happen all the time in the Calumet shop where I used to work, people who don't know better pull WAY TOO FAR on the ground glass back as if to, not insert a film holder, but maybe park a large truck. :)
When this is done, the springs pop past the bulge on the chrome arm that is supposed to keep the ground glass sprung in the proper orientation.

TO FIX: Carefully loosen the screw in the chrome arm. While carefully prying the spring up, get the bulge on the chrome arm under the spring, and re-tighten the chrome-arm screw.

PROPER USE:
* to insert film holder, only pull back JUST far enough on the gg frame to start the holder.
* to remove the ground glass frame for using graflok/international type accessories, push DOWN on the chrome arms, and slide frame out of camera. (note the hooked ends on the chrome arm)

Have fun with your new camera.

BrianShaw
14-Nov-2007, 13:56
Yikes... how did you remove the back????

The arms (long silver-colored parts) should be alongside the black back, not sticking out the other direction. The small tab coming out of the arm at right angle should be under the spring. Somehow your arms were removed and improperly re-installed. You'll need to install them properly before proceeding.

Once the arms are back in place you can reinstall the back onto the camera.

This is done by positioning the back onto the camera. Notice in the camera there is a slot with pins. The hook in the arm goes around the pin. This way the spring pressure will hold the back onto the camera.

To use a regular film holder, you pull the back away from the camera and slide the film holder under. It will "click" in place as the light seal on the holder fits into the light seal slot on the camera.

The only time you generally need to remove the back is to use a roll film holder or Graphmatic back. Regular film holders, Polaroid holders, CALUMET roll film holders all fit UNDER the ground glass.

I hope this is a clear enough description.

Brian (another Brian).

BrianShaw
14-Nov-2007, 13:59
This used to happen all the time ...

Wow, I had no idea it was possible to pull the back that far!

verbier123
14-Nov-2007, 14:06
Thanks Tracy.

Brian

verbier123
14-Nov-2007, 14:08
Thanks Brian

Brian