PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a warm toned paper.....

Michael Graves
13-Nov-2007, 04:26
that has good blacks and white (not creamy) whites. I tried Ilford MG Warmtone. Nice, but not what I'm looking for. Tried Kentmere and the paper was fogged coming out of the box. Any suggestions? I'm using Oriental Seagull and loving it....but have some images that I think would be better served by warmer midtones. I would like a warmer Seagull.

Toyon
13-Nov-2007, 07:10
That's a tough call. I've been looking for a warmtone replacement for Agfa. Ilford WT is pretty close. Oriental makes a warmtone paper. Normally it is only available in semi-matte, but it is now available at Freestyle in a "smooth gloss". I had severe edge fogging with Kentmere Kentona (and received and unsatisfactory explanation from Kentmere). However, I found it was a really beautiful paper after removing the edge fogging with Farmer's reducer. I also tried Efke/Fotokemika, it is warmtone, but I was unable to get anything but muddy tones. Let us know what you find.

Merg Ross
13-Nov-2007, 08:14
The choice of developer can influence how Ilford MG Warmtone responds. Perhaps adding BTZ to your developer will make the whites more to your liking. I have found that a Phenidone based developer with an appropriate amount of BTZ works well with the Ilford Warmtone paper.

Eric Woodbury
13-Nov-2007, 08:35
I was just looking for the same thing, except I'm coming from Bergger. I called people yesterday and it sounds like warm emulsion and white paper is only Oriental and Bergger. I'm glad to here that Oriental is available, because Bergger is twitchy. We may see it again in January. I think you need to use some Brown Toner or Polysulfide Toner. Don't really know...don't like toners.

Darren Kruger
13-Nov-2007, 11:34
that has good blacks and white (not creamy) whites. I tried Ilford MG Warmtone. Nice, but not what I'm looking for. Tried Kentmere and the paper was fogged coming out of the box. Any suggestions? I'm using Oriental Seagull and loving it....but have some images that I think would be better served by warmer midtones. I would like a warmer Seagull.

What paper developer do you use? Have you tried a wamer developer with the Oriental?

-Darren

John O'Connell
13-Nov-2007, 11:55
I use the Bergger VC warmtone right now, and I'm happy with it. It's on a white base, but otherwise it's not as warm as the Ilford stuff in my experience.

It might help us if you disclose your developer and toner.

Michael Graves
13-Nov-2007, 17:53
My developer is Photo Formulary 130, and I tone with selenium. I tried Freestyle's warm tone developer and it was nasty with Oriental. What amazes me is that I didn't notice Oriental had a warm toned paper. Blindness will do that to you. I'm ordering a box as we speak.

neil poulsen
13-Nov-2007, 21:51
Consider selenium toning the Ilford warmtone.

PViapiano
14-Nov-2007, 02:18
Also, try Ethol LPD with the Ilford warmtone.

As a newbie printer, I've enjoyed this combination, esp since LPD's tone varies with different dilutions...and the working solution lasts forever!

Chuck Pere
14-Nov-2007, 04:37
I also saw that Freestyle is calling Oriental Warmtone glossy. The type I have is not and it never came with any other surface. Let us know if the surface is really glossy. It's a nice paper but I don't think the whites any different from Ilford Warmtone. If you want warm blacks and non-creamy whites stockup on old Forte Warmtone or Fortezo in graded. But it does seem like the last batch of Ilford Warmtone I used had brighter whites. Maybe it was just the fresh paper.

katie cooke
14-Nov-2007, 04:52
I think Chuck's right: the Ilford FBWT whites seem significantly whiter than the early batches. (I use either the ilford WT developer, or the fotospeed one.) Dark prints tone beautifully in viradon, and it's very well-behaved with selenium too.

Michael Graves
14-Nov-2007, 05:48
I think Chuck's right: the Ilford FBWT whites seem significantly whiter than the early batches. (I use either the ilford WT developer, or the fotospeed one.) Dark prints tone beautifully in viradon, and it's very well-behaved with selenium too.

Posted an order with Freestyle for some oriental. Wish I'd read this first. I would have ordered some more Ilford to see if it's changed. Oh, well. Next order. Thanks everyone for all the pointers. BTW: If any of you use 120 film, while I was on their site, I noticed they had short-dated Forte 400 in 120 for $1.59 a roll. Stocked up on some of that for my Mamiya 7 also. I love that film.