PDA

View Full Version : Forum idiot here, 4x5 viewfinder question

Momentz
12-Nov-2007, 21:55
HI
so to setup a shot with the shen hao 4x5, you need to remove the back and look thru to line up your shot then put the back plate back on and then take the picture? or is there a view finder to look thru?
Or can someone please explain
Cheers

Vaughn
12-Nov-2007, 22:04
There should be a piece of glass, ground to a matte surface on one side, on the back of the camera. Open the lens and the image will be thrown onto this ground glass (upside down and backwards!) Changing the distance between the ground glass and the lens will adjust the focus.

When you see what you want (the exact image you see on the ground glass (GG) is what will be exposed onto the film), put in the film holder...But practice without worrying about film for a while -- just compose and focus on all types of scenes, landscapes, close ups, et al.

Get a book, or someone to show you the ropes! Have fun!

Vaughn

Ron Marshall
13-Nov-2007, 06:02
HI
so to setup a shot with the shen hao 4x5, you need to remove the back and look thru to line up your shot then put the back plate back on and then take the picture? or is there a view finder to look thru?
Or can someone please explain
Cheers

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/how-to-operate.html

seawolf66
13-Nov-2007, 07:16
Get the following Book and save yourself a lot of foolish question at the start, [Using the View camera by steve simmons, not that expensive at all: go to abebooks.com: Hope this helps you out:

cblurton
18-Nov-2007, 17:40
Dear Momentz:

Thank you for making me laugh. Your subject line, Forum idiot here, expresses exactly how I (and many others) feel when posting beginner's questions here.

Peter Collins
18-Nov-2007, 18:00
There's more of us Forum Idiots than generally known. Chronic census undercount problem. Welcome!

Peter

Preston
21-Nov-2007, 13:16
Add one more to the 'idiot' list. :-)

Momentz, it almost sounds like there is a film holder installed. I can't think of anything else that would cause what you describe.

I've heard good things about Simmons book-go for it!

-PB

Colin Corneau
21-Nov-2007, 16:26
I am just starting out myself - remember, no question is stupid if you don't know the answer to it.

I also have a Shen Hao I picked up on a recent trip to China. Considering I hardly know how to unfold it, let alone master the movements necessary to make the most of image-making, I'm not one to tease anyone!

Marko
21-Nov-2007, 16:39
There's more of us Forum Idiots than generally known. Chronic census undercount problem. Welcome!

Quite so. Heck, lots of them do not even know they are!

But, if you know enough to ask a question, you're not stupid, far from it.

First, you need to know that you need to ask, then you need to know what to ask and finally you need to know how to ask, because those we ask don't always know enough to understand the question.

:D

Alan Davenport
22-Nov-2007, 00:25
Don't call me a forum idiot. I don't need no steenkin' forum...