PDA

View Full Version : Gepe Cable Release Extension?

David Millard
12-Nov-2007, 20:06
Does anyone know a current source for the Gepe 3.25" flexible cable release extension? After several years of use, I've lost both of the two I had. B&H is out of stock, Midwest doesn't have them on its site, and I've tried the less-expensive similar device offered by Badger, but it's too stiff for my purpose.

Thanks -
David

Ted Harris
12-Nov-2007, 20:34
Ask Bob Salomon,

Gepe is the parent company of HP Marketing and HP Marketing is their US Distributor.

David A. Goldfarb
12-Nov-2007, 20:47
Midwest's site doesn't list many small items, so it's worth a call.

I'd expect PhotoGizzmo to have them, but again, you have to call. They don't list most of their inventory on the website.

Scott Kathe
12-Nov-2007, 21:07
David,

I have one of these laying around somewhere. The question is: can I find it? It's probably hanging around with my nice Minolta Autocord TLR lens cap that has gone missing;)

Scott

Scott Kathe
13-Nov-2007, 05:47
David,

I found the cable release extension but not my TLR lens cap. I'm not positive that it is a Gepe but pretty sure and it looks just like the one on the B&H web site. If you are interested let me know.

Scott

Bob Salomon
13-Nov-2007, 07:06
We are the source for the Gepe Cable Release Extension. We sell them to camera stores. They order them from us. At this moment we have over 100 of them in stock so any of our 900 or so dealers could order it for you by 1PM today for it to be shipped today. Why not just call Capitol Camera and have them order it for you? They can even request that we drop ship it directly to you.

David Millard
14-Nov-2007, 00:33
Thanks everyone for your info!

Larry Menzin
14-Nov-2007, 07:19
I bought 3 of them from Midwest about a month ago. They definitely carry these items.

Gene McCluney
14-Nov-2007, 08:39
Just to be complete, Gepe is not the only vendor of these cable release extensions. I have some marketed by Dot.line. They work fine, I keep them on my LF lenses. makes it easier to attach a cable release fast in the field.

Bob Salomon
14-Nov-2007, 09:56
Just to be complete, Gepe is not the only vendor of these cable release extensions. I have some marketed by Dot.line. They work fine, I keep them on my LF lenses. makes it easier to attach a cable release fast in the field.

No they are not the same. Below is the description of the Dot line version from their site:

"Stainless steel woven construction."

The Gepe is not woven stainless steel. It is a PVC covered extension

The Dot Line appears to be from the Far East. The Gepe is German. The Dot Line appears to have a longer nipple that is not a flexible. The Gepe nipple is a total of 0.5" long and bends tightly so it can form a right angle bend that is 0.8" from the nipple end. The Dot Line should form a longer bend. The exposed plated metal screw-in socket for the cable release is 0.5" long. The Dot Line one appears to be much longer. The Gepe Extension is 3.25" long. How long is the Dot Line?

As far as we know the only other company that uses an extension that is from the same source as the Gepe is Linhof on their new cable release quick socket system and on the Technorama lenses. Although the Linhof parts are different lengths then the Gepe Wide Angle Cable Release Extension.

So Dot Line has a cable release extension but they do not have the Gepe Cable Release extension. The similarity is that they are both cable release extensions but they are very different in execution.