PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question for shen hao with 617 backs

Momentz
12-Nov-2007, 15:03
HI
i feel so dumb for asking this, but for making vertical photos with this camera, is it just a matter of adjusting the tripod over or can you rotate the back 617 plate.:o
Cheers

David A. Goldfarb
12-Nov-2007, 15:43
I have a DaYi 6x17 back and don't own a Shen-Hao, but I've seen a couple of them in person.

If your camera has a reversible or rotating back (the Shen-Hao back is reversible), you can turn the back, just as you would for 4x5", presuming the tripod doesn't present a physical obstruction, and that you have a way of keeping the camera bed or rail out of the image (e.g., by dropping the bed, applying front and rear rise, or moving the back forward if physically possible with the 6x17 back).

Otherwise, you need a strong tripod head to turn the camera vertical, and you might need a counterweight or sandbag to balance the tripod with the camera in that position.

If I'm carrying my large tripod, I tend to turn the camera vertical.

Marko
12-Nov-2007, 16:35
On the Shen-Hao, you don't drop the bed, you move the entire back standard forward. I don't have a 6x17 back, so I can't tell if it will run into the bed or not in the vertical position, though. And the back does rotate, so you don't need to turn the entire camera vertical.

Nick_3536
12-Nov-2007, 20:35
Which back?

With the 5x7 or bigger cameras it's just a rollfilm back like any smaller one. The FCL Line you can't move the back standard forward.