PDA

View Full Version : NIKKOR APO ED F5.6 120MM & OMEGA VIEW -F 4X5

miles
12-Nov-2000, 01:42
I BOUGHT A OMEGA VIEW 4X5F MANY MONTHS AGO TO GET STARTED IN LF WITH A FRIEND OF MINE. I JUST ORDERED THE NIKKOR APO 120MM F5.6 LENS FOR THE CAMERA. PLEASE COMM ENT , CHEERS , JEERS, OPINIONS.... WHERE CAN I FIND THE TECH DATA ON THIS LENS, IMAGE CIRCLE LINES PER MM THAT I CA N EXPECT, ANY AND ALL INFO RELATED. THIS IS MY FIRST POST , GRACIAS!

Erik Ryberg
12-Nov-2000, 02:14
Miles,

Please stop yelling. Your lens has a 250 mm image circle and offers many more lines per mm than you will use. It will give you excellent movements and offers a large aperture for bright viewing, and I am sure you will be very happy with the images it is capable of.

The Omega View offers good movements and stability and is a top notch camera.

Michael S. Briggs
12-Nov-2000, 04:15
The 120 mm f5.6 Nikkor AM-ED is an excellent lens, optimized for closeups. "AM" stands for Apo-Macro and "ED" for Extra-low Disperson glass. The coverage is 55 degrees at f22, which is 250 mm diameter at 1:1, i.e., when the image is lifesize. When focusing on a distant object, the image quality might be less since the lens is symmetrical and intended for closeups. I say "might" because frequently symmetrical lenses are quite good with distanct objects.

When used at 1:1 the lens will be 240 mm from the film, while when focused at infinity the lens will be 120 mm from the film. Because of this the projected image circle at 1:1 is twice the diameter of the image circle for an object at infinity. This means that the image circle for a distant object will be only 125 mm, which doesn't cover a 4x5 inch negative. You might judge the image circle to be slightly different because defining the edge of the quality image is subjective, but the lens is very unlikely to reach the corners of a 4x5 negative when focused on a distant object.

It is hard to get information on Nikon's LF lenses. They don't seem to be interested in promoting them. Some years ago Nikon advertised the lenses and had brochures, but not currently. One photographer has posted information obtained from a Nikon brochure: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~cbird/nikkor/niklf.html

AFAIK, Nikon has never published MTF curves. The Japanese manufacturers don't seem to be as interested in this as the German ones. It isn't anything to worry about, the lens will have plenty of resolving power.

The 120 mm focal length is a somewhat unusual choice for the first lens with a 4x5 setup, which is not the same as saying that it is a bad choice. It is somewhat wide, roughly like 35 mm for a 35 mm camera. If you want to cover the 4x5 negative with a 120 mm lens, you will need a wide-coverage design, like the Nikkor-SW, Schneider Super Angulon or Rodenstock Grandagon. Another choice would be the 110 mm Super-Symmar XL.

P.S. Please don't use all caps.

Patrick Raymore
16-Nov-2000, 16:15
I may be wrong, but I firmly believe that optical engineering know what they are doing when they design a special purpose lens. The Nikkor 120mm f5.6 AM is a special purpose lens and was designed for 1:1, or there about. That is were it shines. If you do a lot of 1:1 then this is the lens for you. Thanks to the small working apertures we all use (at least most of use) these special purpose lenses can be used to get "acceptable" photos at infinitely if the lens covers adequately. If, however, you are going to use this lens mostly at infinity then there are far better choices. The Schneider 120mm f5.6 HM super symmar is second to none in both resolution and contrast. Although I have the super symmar I personally prefer to use a little 125mm F5.6 Fujinon W (not the CMW) that is approximately half the weight, size but a tad less coverage than of the HM symmar. The poor man's 120 is the 120mm f5.6 apo symmar. It does not have much coverage so your movements will be limited but it is small and very sharp. If you are fexible enough to stray a little form you choice of focal length then the rodenstock's sironar S 135 mm f5.6 is an excellent choice and if your shroud has no pockets then the super symmar 110mm XL is a wonderful lens. What ever you decide get out there and take some photos.