PDA

View Full Version : GG question: New Linhof vs Satin Snow

Arne Norris
8-Nov-2007, 16:50
I need to replace the ground glass on a Master Technika that came with an old version, warped Linhof super screen.

I will be sending the camera in to Marflex soon for CLA and a new bellows and want to install a gg at the same time.

I would love to get a Maxwell, but the screens are expensive, so I'm wondering about a plain gg. Can anyone give me feedback about the viewing quality differences between the current Linhof gg and a Satin Snow? I know Dave's screens have great feedback, but know about the waiting list for his product and the Linhof is in stock...Is the SS better? If ao it would be worth the wait.

My other question is about add-on fresnel lenses compatible with the MT back. I'm sure the current Linhof fresnel is nice, but costly. Are there any other high quality fresnels available that work with the MT that are of lower cost?

I've heard great things about the Maxwell screen from previous posts I initiated, and Bill Maxwell certainly knows what he's doing. By the time I buy a gg and then add on a decent fresnel, would I be better off just forking out for the Maxwell to begin with?

I'll be using the camera for existing light interiors and portraits and using lenses ranging from 90-210, as well as a tele 250 or 270.

Thanks for indulging me!

Walter Calahan
8-Nov-2007, 17:11
I've got some excellent GG from this fellow:

http://stores.ebay.com/Brilliant-Ground-Glass_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

Peter K
8-Nov-2007, 17:16
Hi Arne,
in my opinion focussing with a normal groundglass is the best. Specially with a focussing-aid like a loupe there is no pattern from the fresnell-screen. For macro work I've a gg with a clear spot in the center. And a spare gg for each camera.

Peter K

roteague
8-Nov-2007, 17:39
Get both.

buze
8-Nov-2007, 17:51
Well the satin snow GG is very bright. in fact it's so bright as to being invisible, like the 8x10 I ordered on the 06 may 2007...

;D

I suggest Walter's eBay link, I bought a 8x10 from them and I received it less than a week later. Not entirely sure if it's 'brighter' than anything else, but it shure beats staring at a 8x10 hole at the back of the camera :D :D

matthew blais
8-Nov-2007, 18:02
I just replaced my GG with two sheets of glass, a small tub of valve grind compound. Took about 20 minutes and I now have two. Held up to window next to Satin Snow it seems brighter...when placed on a table the satin snow seems more translucent.

Probably the difference in type of glass. Mine said "high quality" but who knows...
Grinding is easy..a little compound and some water...some elbow grease.

Works fine and cost me less than $10 for two..

The Satin snow I had was fine, but not bright enough for 8x10 in my opinion, nor I'm sure will these new ones be. At least for me..The SS I bought for my old Korona 4x5 was much nicer than the old etched glass I bought on the bay.

I would think the linhof glass would be superior as is their way.

AVCHD
8-Nov-2007, 18:09
The people who produces Satin Snow doesn't know large format cameras. I saw my friend who ordered two satin snow glasses for his Sinar and Linhof. Neither one can fit in the cameras. He needed to go to glass store to amend the sizes. One of it was finally broken because it is fragile. If you love this trouble, you go with Satin Snow!!

resummerfield
8-Nov-2007, 18:19
......I've heard great things about the Maxwell screen from previous posts I initiated, and Bill Maxwell certainly knows what he's doing. By the time I buy a gg and then add on a decent fresnel, would I be better off just forking out for the Maxwell to begin with?......That was my thinking when I bought the Maxwell for my 5x7 Technika. Since you are going to send the camera to Marflex, I would have them install the Maxwell and be done with it.

roteague
8-Nov-2007, 18:27
The people who produces Satin Snow doesn't know large format cameras. I saw my friend who ordered two satin snow glasses for his Sinar and Linhof. Neither one can fit in the cameras. He needed to go to glass store to amend the sizes. One of it was finally broken because it is fragile. If you love this trouble, you go with Satin Snow!!

The fellow who produces Satin Snow glasses is very knowledgeable about large format - he's been shooting LF for decades. I've got one of his glasses, and have been very happy with it. You may not like the glass, but don't jump to conclusions about his knowledge of large format. BTW, he is a member of this forum.

Dave Parker
8-Nov-2007, 18:32

Okay,

Anybody that does not provide screen size when they order a screen, will get what they order, a 5x7 or a 4x5 in, I cannot cut it to specifications that are not provided to me.

To tell me I don't know large format cameras is so far from the truth, I currently have data on over 100 different sizes of 4x5, 57 sizes of 5x7 and 39 different sizes of 8x10, but I can't cut them if you don't tell me the size.

If you want a good quality screen quick order from the guy on ebay, his screens are good, I know, I bought one..but after the year I have had, I have very little interest is producing screens any longer, I currently have a broken back, I am filling orders as quick as I possibly can, in addition to having a flu, in which I just got out of the hospital after a 10 day stay.

Good bye, I will fill all of the current orders I have on file, which number over 250 currently, and then re-evaluate my position in this business.

As far as the gentleman that asked about SS vs. Linhof, Linhof has the name, and if your going to send it to have it CLA'd, I would suggest having them install a new screen and calibrate it while you have it in to them.

One other thing I will add, since I have been doing this, going on 4 years now, if there has been a mis-cut or wrong size, or somebody says, they never received, I have replaced the screen with no questions asked, I am sure, there have been some in the over 80 countries that I have now shipped to, that have in fact received their screens and told me they didn't, but I never questioned anyone in the last 4 years, I have just taken them on faith and replaced them, I know there is a member that I will hear from, but also offered to replace his, that I apparently got wrong, but he didn't want to send the wrong one back, since then, I don't ever request it be sent back..

But to say I don't know Large Format is wrong, I started shooting Large Format when I was in High School Over 25 years ago, I have not however owned every large format camera out there, and I can tell you, they are NOT all the same for sizes of screen, which is why it is plastered all over our website, to tell me either size, or what camera it is for!

Dave Parker
Satin Snow Ground Glass

Kevin Crisp
8-Nov-2007, 18:48
AVCHD: What a dumb, thoughtless post. He makes them whatever size you order. Yes, glass is fragile.

Marko
8-Nov-2007, 19:13
Dave, no reason to get upset by an ignorant rant.

Like Kevin said, being surprised by the fragility of glass is as dumb as dumb gets.

This one sounds very much like one of those who append "Lihnof, Sinar, Toyo" to everything they sell on eBay... :rolleyes:

buze
8-Nov-2007, 19:39
Well, he 1) is not english native so his explanation is probably rough 2) if you wait 6 months for a piece of glass and it doesn't fit (for whatever reason), it can be understood that one will try to trim it to size and possibly break it, generating 6 months worth of frustrated cursing. I have no problems imagining that.

No offense meant, but I really really want to support the 'little guy', in fact I'll go to lots of trouble to support a small business if I can afford it.

However, in the same set of circumstance, if you had an eBay seller for example that came out with the list of ailments our poor Dave ended up with, wouldn't that raise an eyebrow, 6 months after you paid ?
In my case I /needed/ a ground glass for my very first 8x10 camera. Imagine if I was still waiting on Dave ? That eBay guy saved the day, for me. Still, I was still hoping of getting the SS one, eventualy, just in case...

Furthermore, I don't want my $40 order to cause ill health on anyone, so if it can't be delivered, I'd like to cancel my order, and either get a refund, or possibly have it donated to some worthy charity we can agree on.

Dave Parker
8-Nov-2007, 19:48
Buze and anyone else that wants a refund, please send me a note and as I get funds, I will refund your purchase, I have no problem with that, I have done the best I can, unfortunately, I was just about one of the first to start offering custom hand ground screens, and now there are others, but we have been way overrun with orders since just about day one, we take several retail orders per week, in addition to the distributors and manufactures that order anywhere between 25 to 100 pieces at a time. I have virtually put my photography business on hold and have not put an ad out there for that business for over 2 years now, in fact, I don't advertise the ground glass anylonger.

But again, anyone that wants a refund, we will cheerfully do that as I get funds in to fullfill the refunds.

Dave

Brian K
8-Nov-2007, 20:20
I need to replace the ground glass on a Master Technika that came with an old version, warped Linhof super screen.

I will be sending the camera in to Marflex soon for CLA and a new bellows and want to install a gg at the same time.

I would love to get a Maxwell, but the screens are expensive, so I'm wondering about a plain gg. Can anyone give me feedback about the viewing quality differences between the current Linhof gg and a Satin Snow? I know Dave's screens have great feedback, but know about the waiting list for his product and the Linhof is in stock...Is the SS better? If ao it would be worth the wait.

My other question is about add-on fresnel lenses compatible with the MT back. I'm sure the current Linhof fresnel is nice, but costly. Are there any other high quality fresnels available that work with the MT that are of lower cost?

I've heard great things about the Maxwell screen from previous posts I initiated, and Bill Maxwell certainly knows what he's doing. By the time I buy a gg and then add on a decent fresnel, would I be better off just forking out for the Maxwell to begin with?

I'll be using the camera for existing light interiors and portraits and using lenses ranging from 90-210, as well as a tele 250 or 270.

Thanks for indulging me!

Linhof is very particular about the accurate placement of the GG. From what I have been told they carefully measure and shim the GG in exactly the right spot. Personally if I were takin the time to send them the camera for a CLA, I'd have them replace the GG with a Linhof GG.

I have the standard GG and the linhof fresnel, which is removeable and mounts on the out side of the GG, and find it an excellent combination with lenses in the same range you use.

David A. Goldfarb
8-Nov-2007, 20:57
The groundglass on a Master Tech or a Tech V is "zeroed" so that cammed lenses don't need to be calibrated to a single body and so that the rangefinder agrees with the groundglass, and of course so that it is parallel to the lens plane in the neutral position. There four adjustment screws in the back, if I remember correctly, so that shims aren't required.

That said, they can align any conventional glass (i.e., one that doesn't have a fresnel on the lens side of the glass) properly, because the matte surface rests against the screws.

Bill_1856
8-Nov-2007, 22:00
Get the Maxwell, and have Marflex install it properly. A Master Technika is a once-in-a-lifetime investment, and you might as well do it right. (I shudder to think what they're going to charge you for the new bellows!)

Dave Parker
8-Nov-2007, 22:07
As I said earlier in this thread, if your going to spend the money to have a CLA as well as New Bellows, I would recommend, going a head and get the Maxwell or at the least, get a new linhof screen installed at the same time, in the scope of things, it is really not going to be that much more expensive..

To everybody else, I have to apologize, I got a bit frustrated with a couple of posts that were posted in this thread, and let my frustration come out.

Dave

Bob Salomon
9-Nov-2007, 03:14
[QUOTE=David A. Goldfarb;289896] There four adjustment screws in the back, if I remember correctly, so that shims aren't required.

Not quite. Those four screws adjust the placement of the shims. One on each screw.

KenM
9-Nov-2007, 05:57
Get the Maxwell, and have Marflex install it properly. A Master Technika is a once-in-a-lifetime investment, and you might as well do it right. (I shudder to think what they're going to charge you for the new bellows!)

I agree about the Maxwell screen - I have one for my Master Technika, and it works very, very well. Regarding bellows, why not buy one from http://www.camerabellows.com/ - good price, fast shipping, and very high quality. I have one for my Linhof as well - in fact, I did exactly what you're proposing - new bellows, new GG, and had Blaze Photographic install it (Linhof repair center in Canada).

It was well worth the expense.

Zach In Israel
9-Nov-2007, 07:19
As I said earlier in this thread, if your going to spend the money to have a CLA as well as New Bellows, I would recommend, going a head and get the Maxwell or at the least, get a new linhof screen installed at the same time, in the scope of things, it is really not going to be that much more expensive..

To everybody else, I have to apologize, I got a bit frustrated with a couple of posts that were posted in this thread, and let my frustration come out.

Dave

Dave, from what I have heard here (and other places) your products are quite good, and worth having. I hope you stay in the biz as the world needs honest small merchants! I haven't ordered any of your product (yet) due to being a bit broke. Someday maybe.

Don't let the bozos get you down.

AVCHD
9-Nov-2007, 17:52
At least, Satin Snow people doesn't know the screen sizes of Sinar 8x10P and Linhof Kardan Master GTL 8x10. Sometimes, people works on somethings for MORE THAN 10 YEARS doesn't know what he does, like the satin snow people.

Looking at the two satin snow glasses that my freind ordered, I smiled with fun. One is too big and the other one is too small. When my friend placed order to satin snow, he mentioned about the names of the above two models which are very popular (Don't tell me you don't know them again). On the other hand, satin snow did not ask my friend to measure the screen sizes and then 2 to 3 months later, my friend received 2 glasses from satin snow.

As the money involved is too small, sometimes, when my friend drops this money on the ground, he choose not to pick it up coz he is busy. So, just to learn a lesson and not ask for refund. He chooses to spend time on shooting photos. He relies on original manufacturer now, i.e. Linhof and Sinar., for all things.

People in this forum is funny too. When someone says somethings which are contrary to what they usually believe, they just shout. Americans.... But for those who really want to know the truth, before you place order to satin snow, think about it again.

roteague
9-Nov-2007, 18:02
People in this forum is funny too. When someone says somethings which are contrary to what they usually believe, they just shout. Americans....

Really? I have a Satin Snow screen and it fits perfectly. And I know dozens of people who say the same. Dave is well known, well liked, and well respected. I suspect your friend didn't provide a proper description of the camera he wished to use it on, or provided incorrect measurements. Either way, Dave would have gladly redone the screen had he asked.

Dave Parker
9-Nov-2007, 18:14
At least, Satin Snow people doesn't know the screen sizes of Sinar 8x10P and Linhof Kardan Master GTL 8x10. Sometimes, people works on somethings for MORE THAN 10 YEARS doesn't know what he does, like the satin snow people.

Looking at the two satin snow glasses that my freind ordered, I smiled with fun. One is too big and the other one is too small. When my friend placed order to satin snow, he mentioned about the names of the above two models which are very popular (Don't tell me you don't know them again). On the other hand, satin snow did not ask my friend to measure the screen sizes and then 2 to 3 months later, my friend received 2 glasses from satin snow.

As the money involved is too small, sometimes, when my friend drops this money on the ground, he choose not to pick it up coz he is busy. So, just to learn a lesson and not ask for refund. He chooses to spend time on shooting photos. He relies on original manufacturer now, i.e. Linhof and Sinar., for all things.

People in this forum is funny too. When someone says somethings which are contrary to what they usually believe, they just shout. Americans.... But for those who really want to know the truth, before you place order to satin snow, think about it again.

Well, this is indeed interesting...

I have to say, I don't believe you are telling the truth, I have gone through every single order I have ever taken today, and have not found a combination that your are speaking of, in addition, it is my well known policy to ensure every single customer gets a screen(s) that indeed fits their cameras.

So if you could provide a bit more information and tell your friend I will be more than happy to replace the screens, but I will need to deal with him, not you, as you have no interest or loss in this situation.

I really have a feeling that your are more interested in stirring things up, other than helping your friend, of course you seem with you messages to want to try and cause trouble for me as well.

But again, here in a public forum, if you friend wishes to contact me and let me know of the problems you claim he has had, I will be more than happy to get it corrected. But using an alias to make accusations, does nothing, also, you say 10 years, I have not made ground glass for 10 years, I have been making ground glass for 3 years and 7 months, but I have been shooting large format cameras for over 25 years, which has no bearing on my making ground glass.

Again, I am more than happy to take care of your friends problems at no cost to him, but you must tell him to contact me directly, as you have nothing to do with the situation.

Dave Parker
Satin Snow Ground Glass
gglass@satinsnowglass.com

PS, now as an observation, you have contributed nothing to the original question that was asked by the original poster, you have detracted from it..please refrain from this in the future, if you wish to post information about a company, then you should do it in the proper place.

Michael Graves
9-Nov-2007, 18:54
I just bought one from here. I didn't have the time to wait to order a Satin. It is a decent glass. But I wish I had waited. The Satin is much better. I have one on my 5x7 and broke the one I had on my 8x10. The 8x10 is much murkier to view now. And the new glass from these guys DID have to be trimmed down. Fortunately my local hardware store (for an appropriate fee) was able to do this for me.

Ya live and ya learn.

I've got some excellent GG from this fellow:

http://stores.ebay.com/Brilliant-Ground-Glass_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

AVCHD
9-Nov-2007, 19:28
As I said, if someone says somethings contrary to what you usually believe, you become mad, especially for the one who has the direct financial interest.

Dave Parker
9-Nov-2007, 19:31
As I said, if someone says somethings contrary to what you usually believe, you become mad, especially for the one who has the direct financial interest.

Who is mad, I asked you to provide more information, and have your friend contact me, so I can take care of the situation, I am not mad, but you telling me your friend got two bad screens, for which I can't find an order in the last 3.5 years that match, is not telling me anything. On top of it, your hiding behind an alias, so no one can verify the information you are claiming, if your friend did in fact get two screens that were wrong, please tell him to contact me and I will make sure it is taken care of to his satisfaction so he has screens that work for his application. Again, I am not mad at all, and certainly not mad at the person who has direct financial interest, which you have already said, is not you. If you do in fact have a friend that has had a problem, have him contact me and I will take care of the problems or situation, or at least provide a time frame or name, so I can search further to see if I have the order. Based on your username, I have absolutely no way to know what country, what time frame, this order came in, hence I have no way to verify if there is a problem, how can you expect someone to take care of a problem, if you won't provide information about the claimed problem?

Also, still this has nothing to do with the original question that was posed by the original poster, and it has nothing to do with what I usually believe, it has to do with what I know is fact!

Dave

Arne Norris
9-Nov-2007, 19:44
I am sorry that my question has raised any doubt about the quality of Satin Snow gg products or the high regard everyone has for Dave Parker.

My intention was not to distract from Daves products, but rather to ask if they were noticably BETTER than the current Linhof gg.

My apologies to Dave Parker for any confusion!

FYI, I have done some research into replacement bellows. It sounds like Camera Bellows in England is the OEM manufacturer for Linhof (and a number of other manufacturers). Their prices, given the exchange rate, shipping and all aren't that much less expensive than just having Marflex install a bellows from Linhof. And it's a lot less time confusing and time consuming.

Everything would be so much easier if I could just walk into a camera store and compare products, and not have to purchase things to try them out!

Dave Parker
9-Nov-2007, 19:54
Arne,

No need to apologize, you did nothing wrong, I do hope you are able to get your camera to the point that it pleases you, whether with my glass or anyone else's glass, the most important thing is your happiness, period.

I look forward to seeing the images you produce with this camera, I really would like to own one myself.

Dave

AVCHD
9-Nov-2007, 20:55
It totally reviews how bad service attiude you have to your customers who pay you money.

Now, you know you have an unhappy customer who paid for useless glasses. And you have to look at your data base who ordered two glasses for Sinar 8x10P and Linhof Kardan Master GTL 8x10 and then contact him. These two models are professional type large format cameras, it may be few customers ordered glasses to them at the same time.

Don't tell the people here that you don't have your customer data base.

You need to learn how to smile to your customers.

Dave Parker
9-Nov-2007, 21:03
It totally reviews how bad service attiude you have to your customers who pay you money.

Now, you know you have an unhappy customer who paid for useless glasses. And you have to look at your data base who ordered two glasses for Sinar 8x10P and Linhof Kardan Master GTL 8x10 and then contact him. These two models are professional type large format cameras, it may be few customers ordered glasses to them at the same time.

I am sorry, you are being a jerk, over 20,000 other customers are very happy with our products, because I do know customer service, I have no order in my database that matches the description you are talking about, you are unwilling to provide information so we can take care of the situation...and you say I am the one with the problem...I have my customer database, but I don't have an order in the database that matches what you are describing.

By the way, I have sold quite a few screens to the Sinar company for their cameras, so have done OEM work for them as well as numerous other companies.

I strongly suspect, you or your friend did not buy any screens from us, in fact you remind me of another that pulled this a couple of years ago, on another chat system, that was tracked down and proven to be an overseas company that wanted to come out with ground glass and was running around trying to discredit me as well as others who produce ground glass.

I am going to email the moderation team as it looks like your trying to cause problems and have no interest in the business at all.

Dave

riooso
10-Nov-2007, 00:05
I have worked with Mr. Parker in the past and the first thing that he asks is the size of the glass that I need. Dave has a great product and built a reputation dealing with the LF community. I find it offensive that you berate Dave because your friend is to busy or put out to contact Dave to even try to fix the problem. I also find a glaring difference between your post and Dave's and that is, drum roll please!!!!, he puts his NAME at the end of his posts.

Richard Adams

David Karp
10-Nov-2007, 00:10
Dave,

Forget about this guy. You are absolutely right. He is just trying to cause problems, not find solutions.

I have a SS groundglass on my whole plate Seneca. I sent measurements to Dave and the glass fits perfectly. It is a very nice groundglass. It did take a while to get it. That was not a surprise. Dave has been very up front about the demand for his product, and the time frame in which the products will ship. I ordered it in spite of the long lead time based on testimonials posted here and elsewhere. When I e-mailed for status updates, Dave responded quickly. I received a notice when the glass was shipped.

Whether a SS glass is right for your camera I can't say. I can say it is the best non-enhanced GG I have seen.

otzi
10-Nov-2007, 00:48
*As the money involved is too small, sometimes, when my friend drops this money on the ground, he choose not to pick it up coz he is busy. *

Dave, Dave, Let it go , it's not worth it. He's full of sh*t as the above quote shows. Does't this forum have some lock out capability or something.

Greg Lockrey
10-Nov-2007, 01:35
The guy is right, Dave's gg's are very reasonable.

What would you expect from a video guy anyway?

Capocheny
10-Nov-2007, 02:20
I smell a troll and all of you guys are letting him get under your skin... consider his comments for what they're worth!

A big fat "0." Zippo! Zilch!!

I also had an angry, frustrated twit fly off at me not very long ago and now... he's on my "Ignore" list. His self-aggrandizing accomplishments and rants don't even show up on my postings anymore. :) :)

Dave,

As you know, I've purchased a number of GG screens from you for my 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10. Just to let you know... they ALL fit like a glove without ANY need for modification by myself OR a glass cutter.

The secret to ensuring a perfect fit was to take the original gg off the camera. Then, trace the outline onto a sheet of plain paper with a nice sharp edged pen. You can then fax the screen into Dave's office and, voila... the fit has always been like a glove.

Anyway, I hope you decide to just reduce your production levels. Pick the clients YOU want and ONLY if you feel good about dealing with them! Treat it as a hobby. :)

In the meantime, Dave, don't let the detractors get your goat... they're certainly NOT worth it!

Cheers

Doremus Scudder
10-Nov-2007, 03:23
Dave,

Don't waste any more of your precious time on this heckler; it's clear from the tone and content who is reputable and who isn't.

BTW, I just ordered a SS ground glass for my Wista. I expect it to take a long time, but I want it and am willing to wait.

Best wishes for a smoother life in the future.

Doremus Scudder

jetcode
11-Nov-2007, 08:16

I just ordered 2 sets of GG from Dave and have complete confidence in his ability to deliver. I provided measurements as Dave requested an indeed my camera does not take stock sizes. I am willing to wait for Dave's backlog. When the glass comes in it will slip into place and for $45 I get two brighter GG's to work with.

In business there are always unhappy customers most likely because they are already unhappy people to start with. Sometimes it's truly justified. You've been grinding your axe in 3-4 posts here and not once have you provided conclusive evidence to back your claim. Do you know for a fact that all Sinar 8x10's in that model across all years of production take exactly the same size glass?

I had an auction once where the buyer thought I was taking them to the cleaners for $8. They became so defensive and positioned there was no reasoning with them. I was going to just send them the part but no way. How dare I insult them. Over $8? Truly unbelievable.

Kevin Crisp
11-Nov-2007, 10:38
Dave: You have won this battle of words, I suggest you ignore it. If Mr. Smiling with Fun gives you details like an order date, a customer name, etc. then respond. You are appreciated here because you earned it.

Michael Graves
11-Nov-2007, 15:55
And you need to back up your accusations with some documentable facts. This is a forum of people who use Dave's products and know them to be of high quality and his service to be top quality. BS like you're shoveling without providing any foundation only reduces what little credibility you have remaining.

Ron Bose
11-Nov-2007, 20:31
Dave,
I believe that one of your screens is on my Phillips Compact-II, I love it's look.

Don't quit the biz due to the negative people, keep it running for the people who believe in you and your product.

otzi
11-Nov-2007, 23:43
Dave, there is a business client / account protocol that goes something like this. Divy up your clients into three groups. The top group you can send a Christmas card to. The second group you look after. The third group, well, scout around for someone starting up business and looking for a client base. Not forgetting there is always the round file.
Some times the peace of mind exceeds any illusionary gain from such stressful clients.

Cheers and don't forget to take a break yourself at Christmas .

RichSBV
12-Nov-2007, 00:39
Well, for all people in the forum :

Be prepared your get the same treatment like here if you get any problem with this satin snow glass in future.

I would fully expect the kind of response that I see here from Satin Snow, which pretty much equates to a kind, courteous and quick response backed with an eagerness to resolve any issues and make the customer happy! If only every other company out there acted this way...

AVCHD is without a doubt sitting on a bug. I just reviewed his few posts, especially the ones in the "Chinese Camera Makers" thread. Yep, he's got issues and is obviously just trying to cause trouble...

Boy, haven't posted in a long time and that felt good :p

Hang in there Dave. Maybe I'll actually order my backup GG's soon :D

nelson_chan
12-Nov-2007, 09:50
Just to no longer high jack Arnes Norris' thread...

I have SS glass in my Phillips Compact II as well, and it's fantastic. I just ordered some back up glass from him and he is a gentleman. I'm sure the SS glass will come in perfect condition and that they will fit like a glove. The guy has to have some cred if Dick Phillips is asking for his glass as stock with his cameras.

Kirk Gittings
12-Nov-2007, 18:32
Well here is what I think. As insurance I like to keep spares with me. This thread just reminded me to order a couple of backup GG for my three VCs. I have Satin Snow on all my cameras now. I have been happy with their performance, price and service. So I will buy a couple more.

Dave Parker
12-Nov-2007, 20:59
Everybody,

I honestly don't think Geert had anything to do with this thread, he and I have corresponded over the last couple of years, and I have never had any indications that he would ever do anything like this. I am 99.5% sure that this individual had another agenda in mind and is just name dropping, because for one, it is quite clear he does not like Americans, which is fine, that does not bother me at all..

Geert seems to from all that I have heard, has a great product..and there is no reason to get mad at him, at least from my standpoint.

Thanks all.

Dave

AVCHD
13-Nov-2007, 17:47
Ted Harris,

Never mind you delete my posts. I will post in other forums to tell my friend's story to those who want to know the truth with photos of his satin snow glasses that he paid for but could not use.

CP Goerz
13-Nov-2007, 18:03
Good to see you are quitting while behind, the true sign of someone who knows they are beaten...badly.

Hope you get better Dave!

CP Goerz

Kevin Crisp
13-Nov-2007, 18:06
AVCHD: I'd be more interested in seeing the 8X10 chromes you were going to shoot when you took your 8X10 Sinar to Nepal.

Peter Galuszewski
17-Nov-2007, 13:36
I was born in Poland. I live in Canada = not "American", so my opinion is certainly not of a nationalistic nature.

AVCHD - you're a complex ridden little bundle of insecurities. While I have a great deal of patience for people who are trying to master English, as it is a second language to me as well, I have no tolerance for someone who can not even muster the 5 minutes with a dictionary not to come across like a complete idiot. That is especially true when that person is being critical of EVERYTHING about someone else.

I am not a Satin Snow customer, but I have actually had a disagreement on another issue with Dave, on another forum. It was a heated argument. I think I annoyed him, I know he irritated me to no end. At the end of it all, differences aside, I learned that Dave is a)very much willing to admit when (if) he is wrong b)very polite when he does so and c) holds no grudges and was very gratious in with his time in making sure our "argument" got to the "lets shake hands" point. He has responded to my posts after that point with his usual insight and good advice.
Frankly, I don't even remember what it was about (it was a long time now) - but that's the point: what remains memorable is his demeanor in a situation of the type which often brings out the worse in people.

Dave is a stand up guy and I hope he is around for a good long time as other than this jack ass I have never heard anything but praise for his customer service, not to mention his product. Be well and keep at it,

Peter.

Dave Wooten
17-Nov-2007, 14:06
Dave's upstanding reputation, character and business practices are above reproach.;)

Linhof
6-Aug-2009, 00:07
"Dave's upstanding reputation, character and business practices are above reproach"

Deception means asking customers to pay and wait for the delivery of Satin Snow GG. If this guy is ill (back problem?), why not refund the money to all those who have paid but still waiting (forever) the delivery?

Action speaks stronger than words! Just come out and say to your customers who have wrongly believed YOU.