PDA

View Full Version : Fresnel screen with wide angle lenses-4x5

Steve Cohen
11-Nov-2007, 18:17
I have two 4x5s: Old style Cambo Wide with 65mm lens; and 5x7 Deardorff with 4x5 reducing back and use 75 mm Nikon (both are wonderful-see attached example from Cambo Wide+400NC film). (1) Is it worth purchasing a Fresnel lens (screen) for use with these wide angle lenses? (2) Any suggestions on the widest lens one can use on 4x5 with a Fresnel screen? I'm aware that there can be "blackout" problems typically associated with these brightening screens when used with wide angle lenses. (3) What is difference between Ebony 4x5 frensel and Ebony 45WA fresnel screens (eg, is WA = wide angle?) Thanks for your feedback. Steve

David A. Goldfarb
11-Nov-2007, 18:29
A fresnel generally helps to see the whole composition with wide lenses, and a dedicated wide fresnel will work better with wide lenses than with long lenses. If the fresnel is easily removable, a wide one might make more sense, since a fresnel isn't as necessary with longer lenses. I use a fresnel with lenses as wide as 55mm on 4x5".

With very wide lenses, it can be handy to use two fresnels. I do this sometimes with the 55 and 65mm lenses, just holding the second one in place over the one that is semi-permanently attached to the back to see the whole composition.

Joanna Carter
12-Nov-2007, 03:30
I have an Ebony SV45Te and went to the expense of buying a WA fresnel as well. The problem was that the fresnel was no good for anything other than WA and that meant I would need to buy a second GG frame. Instead, I got in touch with Bill Maxwell and bought one of his superb screens. It allows me to use the one screen for all lenses from 72mm right through to 400mm. I cannot recommend them enough.

Brian Ellis
12-Nov-2007, 07:44
Ditto for the Maxwell. I used his "normal" screen with 80mm to 300mm lenses. I could see the image on the screen as well with the 80 as I could with the 300 (by way of comparison, the OE Fresnel on my Tachihara is a very good Fresnel, better IMHO than the one that was on my Ebony SVTe, but even the Tachihara Fresnel occasionally "blacked out" with a 90mm lens). I think Maxwell sells a wide angle screen and maybe that would be desirable with lenses down in the 58mm range but at least for 65mm and up I think the standard Maxwell screen would work fine.

sheausong
12-Nov-2007, 11:38
I like Maxwell screen as well. It is much brighter and easier to focus than my stock Ebony screen. I thought of getting a second Focusing screen with WA fresnel, but decided to get Maxwell screen instead. I am very happy with it, works well (form me) from 75mm to 400mm.

Sheausong

Steve Cohen
16-Nov-2007, 08:50
That you all for the comments and suggestions. I'll look into the Maxwell option.

dwhistance
17-Nov-2007, 15:21
I also use the "standard" Maxwell screen and find it effective for all of my lenses from 58mm to 400mm. I originally considered getting the specific Wide Angle one as well but Mr Maxwell persuaded me not too until I had used the standard screen. Now I've used it I can see his point as I cannot see the need for it unless I invest in a 47mm first!

David Whistance