PDA

View Full Version : Omega D2 and cold light

Mark Christopherson
10-Nov-2000, 13:30
I recently purchased an Omega D2 enlarger and will likely equip it with a cold l ight in the near future. I know these are simple devices, but any input re good /bad experiences with particular brands? Any common pitfalls to watch out for?

pat krentz
10-Nov-2000, 22:04
I have a D2 which I bought with condensers and after a year of saving bought Zone VI coldlight for it and have never looked at condensers again, I have had the coldlight for 5/6 years and have never had a problem with it or any of my Zone VI equipment. Pat

Alec Jones
10-Nov-2000, 23:41
I have that same setup and second everything Pat said. If you go the Zone VI route, look for a stabilizer for your light. There are lots of other choices, but this stuff just seems to last forever. It was made to because I've got a lifetime guarantee from Calumet if it breaks!

Doug Paramore
11-Nov-2000, 09:17
Mark: I use the D-2 with an Aristo cold light head and have for several years. I wouldn't want anything else. You have to turn the light on and let it warm up a few minutes before the light output reaches full intensity, but after that the heater built in keeps the output pretty stable. I don't have any problems without a stabalizer, but I don't have power fluctuations where I live. The stabalizer is supposed to keep things constant as the light heats up, but that is not a problem for me. I highly recommend the cold light. The prints are beautiful from it. Regards, Doug.

neil poulsen
11-Nov-2000, 11:22
Do you want to do variable contrast development? If so, you should consider the Calumet/Zone VI VC head that's sold specifically for the Omega line of enlargers. While it's expensive, it's a nice unit in that it internally adjusts for light instability for both elements, the green and the blue.

I had an Omega D2V, and it was difficult to use that setup with filters without removing the cold-light to insert a circular filter just above the diffuser. (Do others have suggestions?) If you go the Aristo route and want to do VC printing, consider getting the high intensity light with a special light element that they have for VC printing. (Call Aristo and speak with the tech.) Or, they have their own VC unit, but it isn't internally controlled.

Scott Walton
11-Nov-2000, 23:53
I have had my D2 for about 15 years and 10 of them have had the Aristo head... w ouldn't print with anything else!