PDA

View Full Version : Development time Ajustment for Fomapan 200

kev curry
10-Nov-2007, 16:50
Carrying on from the previous thread on Fomapan200 and reciprocity....

Does anyone have any info on Development Time adjustment....
Cheers folks

kev curry
12-Nov-2007, 02:56
Carrying on from the previous thread on Fomapan200 and reciprocity....

Does anyone have any info on Development Time adjustment....
Cheers folks

Any clues folks?

Gary L. Quay
17-Nov-2007, 16:18
If I understand you correctly, and you're looking for development time adjustment for reciprocity curves, I think that the corrections you make while exposing should allow you to develop normally, unless you want to heighten or lower contrast of the negative.

--Gary

Gary L. Quay
17-Nov-2007, 16:35
By the way, ask people for "ideas," not "clues." Over here in the New World, and perhaps in parts of the UK, saying "any clues," has "Get a clue!" connotations.

On an somewhat related, unrelated matter, does "West of Scotland" mean Ireland? Ireland is, of course, west of Scotland. Or, does it mean the west of Scotland, i.e. western Scotland? It's the little differences in language that trip us up sometimes. I was an English major in college. Could you tell? Anyway, I've always wanted to visit Scotland and Ireland. My ancestors were kicked out of both places a few centuries ago.

Cheers!
--Gary L. Quay

kev curry
18-Nov-2007, 05:54
No sarcasm was implied in "Any clues folks". But thanks for pointing out the terminological implications of the statement! Here on the Western coast of Scotland it would probably be considered a fairly normal saying! As I'm sure you understand, the British bourgeoisie bear a very great responsibility for brutalizing and displacing many millions of Scots and Irish people.
Gary I'm just about to do some film speed and development tests with Fomapan200 with a true speed I believe of around (80iso) so fully expect to regularly experience reciprocity failure. With my original question I was hoping to find out some ball park figures of the development time adjustments required to give normal contrast to a given negative during long exposures. As I understand, during long exposures contrast increases can be significant and depending on the scene will require a contraction of contrast.
I have recently discovered a Reciprocity table with dev time adjustments compiled by Ralph Lambrecht that was based on suggestions by John Sexton and Howard Bond and then combined with his own test results. The tests were done with TMax-100/400 and also with conventional film. So my current thinking is to treat the Foma200 as conventional film and see what happens unless anyone has any direct experience with this film themselves.........?
ps Gary bet you can tell that I never majored in English. Thanks to spell chequer I can appear half literate .........:D

Gary L. Quay
20-Nov-2007, 15:07
I use PMK Pyro for night scenes due to its compensation effects. You can get it from Photographers Formulary, if they'll ship it across the Atlantic. You can develop normally with it, but you really have to use graded papers when you print.

--Gary

steve simmons
20-Nov-2007, 15:31
You can develop normally with it, but you really have to use graded papers when you print.

?????????????????

steve simmons

Ron Marshall
20-Nov-2007, 15:39
Link to the Foma site:

http://www.foma.cz/Upload/foma/prilohy/F_pan_200_en.pdf

For 1 second increase exposure by 1.5 stops from the metered reading; 10 seconds, increase by 3 stops; 100 seconds, increase by 4 stops.

Cheers.

Shen45
20-Nov-2007, 18:59
Foma 200 works very well with PMK Pyro and is excellent with MC papers.

As Steve has indicated once before in a post I had on Foma 200 [and this is data I have arrived at with a blue channel densitometer] A zone 8 reading should be in the range of 1.45 - 1.6 to give you the snap you are after. This will depend on your enlarger light source.

______

Oh -- and on English Gary -- despite the fact that the US has a population of over 200 million far more than that figure speak and understand English throughout the rest of the world.

"Any clues" is a common expression - in Australia we would probably call it slang - it conveys very well the friendly idea of a person asking for ideas or help, so please do not correct English useage based on your minority American viewpoint. If you are uncertain of a terminology ask and some other list user with a world view of the English language should be able to offer a translation if you find yourself "challenged".

Scott Davis
21-Nov-2007, 07:25
When in reciprocity failure situations, generally you adjust development downward by 10% for each stop of exposure correction. So, if you give 1 1/2 stops additional exposure, you would cut development time by 15%. When you are dealing with extreme reciprocity issues, I would strongly advocate stand/semi-stand/extreme minimal agitation development regimes, where the combination of extended development time and highly dilute developer means you can safely cut development time by up to 40% and still have full shadow and midtone development. Do NOT base your reciprocity adjustments for Fomapan 200 on Tmax behavior, especially not on Tmax 400, which has the absolute least reciprocity failure of any film currently in production, and requires the least correction in development. Fomapan, while a beautiful film, has terrible reciprocity, so comparing it to Tmax is like comparing apples to reptiles.

Just as an FYI, I shoot a LOT of the Fomapan 200, and I rate it at 100. It makes a great film for alt-process printing, if you're so inclined.

kev curry
22-Nov-2007, 15:53
Thanks Scott for the rule of thumb and the link Ron.
Thanks Steve for the Numbers. At the moment they don't mean a great deal but having said that I am currently reading BTZS by Phil Davis so will see if things develop in that direction. I'm about to re-read the 2nd chapter having failed the end of chapter test! Its the whole math stuff that gets me flapping but will stick with it. PD to his credit is at pains to allay the fears of folk like myself who are inherently fearful of math but would love to exercise a great deal of control over their photography. Its all very interesting. For the time being Ill use Fred Pickers method for testing the foma.
Best regards
kev

Gary L. Quay
22-Nov-2007, 17:27
You can develop normally with it, but you really have to use graded papers when you print.

?????????????????

steve simmons

It's what I had been told by a number of sources. The stain acts like added density, and this effect is most pronounced on graded papers. But, I've done some more reading, though (on the Unblinking Eye), and the effect of pyro stain is different depending on stain color and the type of paper being used. There is also an extensive discussion or three on this very site about the use of Pyro which proved enlightening. The advice I read regarding graded papers seems to be the authors' preferences, based on increasing contrast, as opposed to using pyro's compensating effect. I haven't printed PMK negs on variable contrast papers, but I'm going to give it a try. I guess I also need to finally go out and buy Gordon Hutchin's book. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

-Gary

seawolf66
28-Nov-2007, 18:15
I just did some Foma 200 the other day My meter was set at 125 ISO the foto called for F16@30.secs , I developed it in ID-11 for 10mins gentle rocking every 1 min for 10sec: I posted it here on this forum! Just my two cents or is that a half cent these days?