PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 film holders..............

Jordan
10-Nov-2007, 14:28
I just purchased some new Lisco Regal II 8x10 holders and they feel and seem super cheap. The hinge tape at the bottom is made of some sort of silk like material and seems like it will become easily unglued, besides light coming through as well. Overall they seem to be put together kind of weak and collect dust right out the box. Is it worth it to kick down the money for the Toyo 8x10 holders? My 4x5 toyo holders are superior holders, are the 8x10 ones similar? I know they smell super bad is there the chance of some strange chemical reaction with the film? That last question is a little cuckoo so no need to answer unless I have some weird point. Thanks in advance gentlemen.

Jordan

Gene McCluney
10-Nov-2007, 17:21
The hinge tape on the end does not have to be light tight. The hinge tape only serves to retain the hinges when then are open for loading. It is the design of the hinge and the interface of the hinge and the darkslide that keeps light out when closed. While the Lisco Regal II holders may feel "cheap" to you, rest assured they work just as well as any holder. The smell will not hurt the film at all.

Jordan
10-Nov-2007, 17:34
Thanks Gene, you're a good guy for answering my question.

John Kasaian
10-Nov-2007, 17:35
You can replace the tape hinges with gaffer's tape or if you want to be really stylin' you can use bookbinder's tape.

Capocheny
10-Nov-2007, 21:05
Jordan,

Gene and John have answered your question completely. In addition to what they've said... the Toyo holders are great holders and you won't go wrong with acquiring them. However, be prepared for quite a difference in pricing between the two brands.

[I much prefer using Toyo holders to any others when I'm shooting 4x5... even more than the Linhof version. Of course, this is a personal choice. :)]

Another new manufacturer in the market these days is Chamonix. I've no personal experience with them but from what I can see, they also look like they're beautifully made (wood instead of plastic). Perhaps, Hugo will wade in with more information. :)

Cheers

Luca Merlo
11-Nov-2007, 00:19
What about the quality of Fidelity holders ? I have many of them in 4x5 format and never had any problem. How do they compare to the Lisco ones ?

walter23
11-Nov-2007, 01:14
Fidelity and Lisco are the same.

I have Toyo holders so I know what you mean when you say the Lisco / Fidelity ones seem cheap by comparison, but they work just as well. Most of my 4x5s are Lisco / Fidelity and the same is true of my 8x10s.

John Kasaian
11-Nov-2007, 01:27
I have several 8x10 Lisco Regal & Regal II holders--no problems here! My favorites are the black wooden ones that are imprinted "Graflex Made for Eastman Kodak" with the light traps that are screwed on.