PDA

View Full Version : Ilford Ortho Plus

Bill Brady
9-Nov-2000, 19:20
I picked up a box of Ilford Ortho Plus intending to get the film data off the we bsite, but Ilford English site don't mention it. Has anyone used Ortho Plus? Whe re can I find some data on it?

Thanks!

david clark
9-Nov-2000, 20:09
Hi Bill, I use it. I found it about 80-40 ASA daylight. Develop by inspection under a red light in film developer, but cast a shadow on the tray as the red light can fog it. I like it. Best, David

John Lehman
9-Nov-2000, 21:07
I shoot it at EI 40 and develop in PMK (12 minutes I believe -- my notes are in the darkroom)

Bill Brady
9-Nov-2000, 21:11
Thanks Guys! (now if I can just remember what PMK is).

Charlie Stracl
9-Nov-2000, 21:12
I don't remember where I got it, but I found a set of specs on the web somewhere in a Word Doc. Here it is:

Ilford Ortho (4x5 Sheet Film)

Ilford Ortho film is a blue-green sensitive (orthochromatic), medium speed film with high resolution characteristics. It's particularly versatile because it can be processed to a range of contrasts.

The main application of Ortho film is continuous tone copy work, as well as some line work. It is also recommend for photomicroscopy.

Ortho film emulsion is coated on 0.18mm (7/1000 inch.) polyester base, well known for its high dimensional stability and strength, and it now icludes an improved anti-halation backing which clears during development. If processed and stored properly, Ortho film negatives have excellent archival storage properties.

Where applications call for a material of higher contrast choose Ilford Line film. Contact your local Ilford selling company for further details.

SAFELIGHT Use an Ilford 906 (dark red) safelight illuminated by a 15 watt bulb. As a precaution against fooging and hence reduced image contrast, a minimum distance of 1.2 metres (4 feet) between the safelight and the working area is suggested.

HANDLING The short side of Ortho film is notched to indicate the emulsion surface.

METER SETTINGS Suggested speed ratings for ortho film are ISO 80/20B0 for subjects illuminated by daylight sources, and ISO40/17B0 if tungsten illumination is used. These figures are intended as a quide only.

MANUAL PROCESSING Ilford ID-11 developer is particularly recommended for its excellent speed to grain ration. The development times below refer to development at 20B0C (68B0F) in a deep tank, with agitation for the first 10 seconds of development, and for 5 seconds every half minute for the remainder of the time. All processing solutions should be kept at similar temperatures (+/-5B0C).

Developer Dilution Normal High Contrast Contrast G = 0.55 G = 0.70 ID-11 stock 6 min. 9 min. Microphen stock 4 min. 7 min.

MACHINE PROCESSING Developer Dilution E.I. 25/15 E.I. 50/18 PQ Universal 1:9 6B= 6B= Phenisol 1:4 4 4

My film speed test in Divided D-76 gave EI 40.

Charlie Stracl
9-Nov-2000, 21:13
Sorry about that. The development table didn't format as it did in the "answer box". If you can't figure it out, I can e-mail the word document.

Charlie

David F. Stein
9-Nov-2000, 23:13
Steve Simmons did a nice article on using Ortho film a couple years ago in View Camera