PDA

View Full Version : Burke and James 4x5 camera

eparkco
8-Nov-2007, 09:48
I recently purchased a used Burke and James 4x5 view camera with a 135mm, f/4.7 optar lens. All was advertised as working, I am new to 4x5 having used 35mm for over 40 years. If anyone can provide a source for this camera and information on getting starting in large format view camera I certainly will appreciate the help.

Thanks, MIke

James E Galvin
8-Nov-2007, 09:54
Go to the LF Home Page on this forum.

Ernest Purdum
8-Nov-2007, 10:00
Your camera has full movement capability which makes it a good learning tool. Unfortunately, your lens has very little coverage beyond 4 X 5 which makes it impossible to make good use of the cameras capabilities. The package may have been placed on sale because the previous owner was frustrated with it because of the lens.

I would suggest putting the lens up on eBay (it is a decent lens for Graphics and similar) and buying something with a larger image circle. If I'm using terms you are unfamiliar with, check out the articles at the bottom of the home page.

There are several books available on view camera use. Any of them would be of great help to you. Check your local library.