PDA

View Full Version : New guy 6x17 Camera & lens purchase help

Momentz
7-Nov-2007, 22:25
HI
My name is chris this is my first post,

I so badly want to get myself a 6x17 Format camera but i need help. i am currently looking at the gaoersi 6x17 and some different lenses, the range of lenses i would like are 72,90,150,200,300, i know thats a big range and i will have to build up to that, so just a 90mm to start with. i am looking for the cheapest way to get into this area of photography at the moment and advancing once i have more money,

Can you recommend any cameras,lenses to get me started at a reasonable price.
Cheers

PBrooks
7-Nov-2007, 23:13
I would say the least expensive 90mm I can think of that might cover your format is the Ilex 90mm f8 lens. This is a lens that is sort of like the super angulon of schnieder. They usually go for between 250 and 400 dollars depending. Hope this helps!

Gene McCluney
8-Nov-2007, 03:56
One can find real Schneider Super Angulon 90mm lenses in f8 for $300 to $400. For cheap but good 200 and 300 range, look for used Rodenstock Geronar lenses. These are 3 element lenses, but very sharp. For a cheap lens in the 75mm range, Komura made one which is very nice, and you find these mounted in Copal or Seikosha shutters.

bdeacon
8-Nov-2007, 09:13
I'm not sure what a Gaoersi 6x17 camera costs, but for $600 you can buy a new Shen Hao 6x17 roll film back which can be attached to a 4x5 camera. For another $600 or so (less if used) you can buy a new 4x5 camera if you don't already have one. $1200 for the capabilities of both 4x5 and 6x17 is quite a good deal compared to the costs of most 6x17 cameras. The drawback to the Shen Hao back is that only lenses in the 90-180mm range can be used without vignetting. I personally don't find this limiting at all for the landscapes I shoot. A view camera is also heavier, slower, and more cumbersome to work with than most 6x17 cameras but offers the advantages of movements and groundglass focusing which are not possible with some 6x17 cameras.

Darcy Cote
8-Nov-2007, 10:20
Join this forum and ask the same question there.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/6x17/

Aender Brepsom
8-Nov-2007, 11:30
I used to have a Gaoersi 6x17 with an f8/90mm Super Angulon. Image quality was perfect and the setup was well-built, reasonably small and light.
But, I found it to be very difficult to judge the correct focussing, there were no movements (I missed the tilt function) and I never knew where to position the ND grad filter. Last but not least, I was limited to one single focal length that was often too wide for my purposes.

Those reasons made me sell the Gaoersi and get a 6x17 panorama back for my 4x5 field camera. Now, all my previous problems are solved. The only backdraws with this option are bulk (field camera + panorama back with viewing glass is larger and heavier than the Gaoersi) and price. But I have not regretted my decision.

Photomax
11-Nov-2007, 09:25
I have a Gaoersi 6x17 with a 90mm/6.8 Grandagon lens.

A lot of users have posted questions etc at this site:

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/BB/viewforum.php?f=32

Max

jetcode
11-Nov-2007, 09:35
HI
My name is chris this is my first post,

I so badly want to get myself a 6x17 Format camera but i need help. i am currently looking at the gaoersi 6x17 and some different lenses, the range of lenses i would like are 72,90,150,200,300, i know thats a big range and i will have to build up to that, so just a 90mm to start with. i am looking for the cheapest way to get into this area of photography at the moment and advancing once i have more money,

Can you recommend any cameras,lenses to get me started at a reasonable price.
Cheers

I had a Gaeorsi 6x17 rig with 90mm f/4.5 nikkor and center filter, and a 210mm. It was nice but I sold it off for $2700 to fund a Shen-Hao 4x10. Someone mentioned the Shen-Hao 6x17 back and 4x5. That in my opinion is the way to go. You get 2 film formats, you can grow your lens arsenal without having to buy lens adapters for each specific focal length, you get movements, and a much deeper range of focus meaning close proximity or close up work. Not to mention it is less expensive.

Asher Kelman
20-Nov-2007, 21:16
I had a Gaeorsi 6x17 rig with 90mm f/4.5 nikkor and center filter, and a 210mm. It was nice but I sold it off for $2700 to fund a Shen-Hao 4x10. Someone mentioned the Shen-Hao 6x17 back and 4x5. That in my opinion is the way to go. You get 2 film formats, you can grow your lens arsenal without having to buy lens adapters for each specific focal length, you get movements, and a much deeper range of focus meaning close proximity or close up work. Not to mention it is less expensive.
Joe,

The adapter for the 6x17 is it a genuine size for Graflok as in my Crown Graphic? I ask since I just tested one 4x5 Shen-Hao and it was a mm to tight to fit my 4x5 Graflok attachments!

So is it that Shen-Hao is using a different standard or else is this just one of those MFR variations in assembling a wooden camera?

Oh, one thing, how well made is the 6x17 attachment? Do you end up using it a lot? I have a 4x5 reduction back being made for my Chamonix 8x10 so it would be fun to get the 6x17 back too!

Asher :)

David A. Goldfarb
20-Nov-2007, 21:26
Asher--I suspect it was just a wooden camera variation. My DaYi 6x17 back is similar in design to the Shen-Hao, and it fits my Linhof and Sinar 4x5" backs.

Asher Kelman
20-Nov-2007, 21:42
Thanks for the information. That's what I expected!

I'll have to make sure my reduction back is really made right so I think i'll give Chamonix a Graflok back as a reference!

Asher

Nick_3536
20-Nov-2007, 21:42
With that range of lenses will it fit the 4x5 back?

If not look at the one for the 5x7 or bigger Shens that provide a 5x7 reducing back. You'll spend more on the camera but save on the 6x17 back so the total outlay won't be that much more.

Nick_3536
20-Nov-2007, 21:44
The adapter for the 6x17 is it a genuine size for Graflok as in my Crown Graphic? I ask since I just tested one 4x5 Shen-Hao and it was a mm to tight to fit my 4x5 Graflok attachments!

Seriously a single mm? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Sounds like a turn of the screw to loosen things a bit. If that. Wood moves. Grows/shrinks. A mm can't even be measured by most people. :confused:

Greg Lockrey
20-Nov-2007, 21:45
I have the Da-Yi 6x17 back also and I have no problem fitting to any of the Graflok backs of my Speed Graphic, Sinar or Ebony cameras.

vinny
20-Nov-2007, 21:45
The focal lengths with the Shen-Hao 6x17 back on a 4x5 body are limited, unless i'm mistaken.

David A. Goldfarb
20-Nov-2007, 21:49
With the 617/4x5" backs the range of lenses is generally 72-150mm. Most shorter lenses don't cover the format, and they can't focus to infinity with the extension built into the back. Longer lenses will still give a pretty good panoramic image (say 6x15.5 with a 360mm lens, for instance), but they'll vignette, because of the way the 4x5" backs are constructed.

Lenses that are within the usable range can also vignette when focused at close distances. Sometimes I use the 150 on my Technika with a rangefinder (this is possible with lenses in the 120-150mm range, I suspect), and I have to be careful to keep the subject at least 6 feet away, or it will vignette.