PDA

View Full Version : Save-ing Money

seawolf66
7-Nov-2007, 18:56
Dark bottles for storeage of chemicals , can be a added expense to set-ing up ones dark room, even only a half darkroom for film processing only! What I did was get a can of Plastic paint spray and proceded to spray Power- aid btls black for my chemical storeage : The plastic btls are left over after you drink the contents and the paint for a large spray can of black 3.97 : so my cost is about 30-40 cents per bottle ?

A lot better than paying $3.00 to 5.00 per bottle !

just my two cents to help save money and recycle plastic btls!

So if some one is just starting out this is one way to save money:

Daniel_Buck
7-Nov-2007, 19:01
I use old glass pickle jars and apple juice bottles. TF-4 fixer is the only thing I re-use for more than 1 evenings processing, so that I keep in a brown paper bag (double bagged) in-between sessions.

Jim Galli
7-Nov-2007, 20:49
I seem to have gazillions of 750ml dark bottles with corks. hiccup. In fact I reformulated all of my favorite recipe's to 800ml. With a little carry off it tops up a 750ml bottle with no air space.

Toyon
7-Nov-2007, 20:52
Looks like you're saving on vowels too.

walter23
7-Nov-2007, 20:58
A buddy at my shared darkroom space uses the 3L white-coloured orange juice jugs. They work pretty good, but I ended up buying some of the 3.8L (1 gallon) brown jugs so I could mix up big bags of Dektol and store enough chemistry for the big 16x20 trays.

Greg Lockrey
8-Nov-2007, 02:01
I got my 1 galon brown glass jugs from a pharmacy for $.50 each.

Brian Ellis
8-Nov-2007, 08:08
I've always understood that the big deal with photographic chemicals and storage isn't the light as much as it is air. When I had a darkroom I kept chemicals in clear bottles that originally contained fruit juices and similar things and put the bottles in a cabinet without worrying about the fact that the bottles weren't dark.

John Kasaian
8-Nov-2007, 08:13
I got my 1 gallon jugs from a pharmacy for----free! Bulk Robitussin originally came in 'em :)

Bruce Watson
8-Nov-2007, 09:28
Dark bottles for storage of chemicals, can be a added expense to setting up ones dark room...

No, it's the wine that came in the bottles that was the "added expense." After that, the bottles are free! Cork 'em with Vacu Vin (http://www.goodmans.net/get_item_vv-0854250_vacu-vin-wine-saver.htm) stoppers and store the chems under vacuum. Excellent storage for the darkroom.

rippo
8-Nov-2007, 10:05
I use old glass pickle jars and apple juice bottles. TF-4 fixer is the only thing I re-use for more than 1 evenings processing, so that I keep in a brown paper bag (double bagged) in-between sessions.

even double-bagged, doesn't the fixer soak through?

:)

Daniel_Buck
8-Nov-2007, 11:38
even double-bagged, doesn't the fixer soak through?
:)
haven't had any trouble yet :D haha!