PDA

View Full Version : Lubricant for view camera

Robbie Shymanski
7-Nov-2007, 12:50
I am planning to tune up my Calumet 8x10 and was wondering what might be the best material for lubing all the movements. The camera is mostly cast aluminum. Vasiline was suggested, I was wondering if white lithium or some light oil would work. Any suggestions?

Gary Beasley
7-Nov-2007, 14:59
Car wax is good because it won't come off on your hands while using the camera.

Dave Wooten
7-Nov-2007, 15:19
I used a candle stick on my slides and film back. Cold rub, not hot.

Phil
7-Nov-2007, 15:21
Here's some lube I'm trying out on my Linhof:

I have a sample of some synthetic lube - MT25B - web site is www.mil-comm.com and there are details of the lube there (MSDS - application, testing results, etc) and it looks like you can get free samples. Good for -90F to 450F. I've been told to apply it very light - not much is needed- and it does not dry out like some other lubes. The only issue anyone mentioned was the smell, but in small amounts it isn't bad.

Phil

paulr
7-Nov-2007, 15:28
I use synthetic bicycle lubes, like the ones by Finish Line. Easy to find at bike shops and places like EMS. They're probably similar to the ones Phil mentions. They smell a bit, but work really well. Go on wet, then dry, and then are practically water an wear proof. They never gum up or attract dirt.

Thicker wax-based ones (like Pedro's Wax) might work better for movements. The thinner ones are great for gears and rails.

Like Phil said, a little goes a long way.

Photobackpacker
13-Nov-2007, 08:14
If you will be using the in cold weather, you need to be certain that you use a lubricant that will not turn to stone. I use a product called Super Lube made by Synco on my Linhof MT 2000. I have tested it in the field to -12 degrees. It stayed far looser at that temp than my body did. :)

David Karp
13-Nov-2007, 08:44
Don't use vaseline or oil. They attract dust. You might try synthetic a dry lube. I can't remember the brand name I picked up at the hardware store, but it worked great on my Improved Seneca.

Another option would be to call Calumet in Chicago and ask to speak to Jose. He handles their LF stuff and is very knowledgeable. He will probably have some good suggestions for the Calumet camera.

Wilbur Wong
13-Nov-2007, 09:03
If you will be using the in cold weather, you need to be certain that you use a lubricant that will not turn to stone. I use a product called Super Lube made by Synco on my Linhof MT 2000. I have tested it in the field to -12 degrees. It stayed far looser at that temp than my body did. :)

I have used these for over 4 years. It comes in grease as well as oil forms. I use these as only very thin film applications so that it can not hold things like sand and dust particles.

Kirk Gittings
13-Nov-2007, 09:07
Use a wax based bicycle lube like Pedro's Ice Wax or White Lightening in very small amounts. The carrier evaporates off leaving a very light, thin, soft, non-sticky wax coating. A small bottle will last a lifetime. Make sure you shake the botttle well before using.