PDA

View Full Version : toyo Field Extension back

otzi
7-Nov-2007, 07:27
Has anyone tried to use the extension backs available as an accessory on the back of the 45A series cameras? To allow an extra 100mm extension. Toyo suggests that two of these can be mounted.

Ralph Barker
7-Nov-2007, 07:57
I've thought about getting one on several occasions, but didn't due to the outlandish price. Toyo's slider-bar retaining system is fairly solid. So, I could see one working fairly nicely, but two might be a stretch.

The only downside (aside from the price) I'd see is that one would need to be a little more careful when inserting/removing holders due to the leveraged torque being placed on the retainers and the back standard. The offset of the pivot point for rear tilts might be an issue in some cases, but I wouldn't think it would be too much of a real problem.

Northwest
7-Nov-2007, 12:36
I used an extension back on a 45A (years ago) and it worked fine. My objection to it was its bulk. Assuming that what is available today is the same thing (solid metal), I can't imagine using two of them (stacked, so to speak?). I sold my 45A and the back and bought a camera with a longer bellows.

What does one cost these days?

Toyon
7-Nov-2007, 15:03
I have one. The extension back is very well made and easy to use, but it is bulky and relatively heavy - being made of a single piece of aluminum.

Ralph Barker
7-Nov-2007, 16:12
. . . What does one cost these days?

About $500. :eek:

The attachment interface is the same as the 158mm lens boards, just like the bellows, etc. So, I'm thinking about making my own, using a spare rear standard from a 45G for the back attachment hardware, and a box with cut-out lens boards at either end.

otzi
7-Nov-2007, 17:18
I used an extension back on a 45A (years ago) and it worked fine. My objection to it was its bulk. Assuming that what is available today is the same thing (solid metal), I can't imagine using two of them (stacked, so to speak?). I sold my 45A and the back and bought a camera with a longer bellows.

What camera did you shange to?

And a quote from way back in 17-Oct-2001 08:43

Back movements are kind of weird with the extension in place. Actually, this issue became the main reason I switched cameras, but the extension design might work for someone else.

Scott, If you are reading this, what camera did you change to?

And did the change work out better in the long rum? Or was there a trade off?