PDA

View Full Version : APO Ronar in shutter for macro?

Marco Annaratone
6-Nov-2007, 12:52
YAQOARs ... Yet Another Question on APO-Ronars ...

All the threads I read thus far seem to indicate that APO-Ronars _in_shutter_ are optimized for 1:20 or whereabouts and no longer for 1:1 work.

Is it always the case?

I have a 480mm in Copal 3 that I was planning to use for macros (yes, I have enough bellows) but ... any word of wisdom?

Thanks!

Cheers

Peter K
6-Nov-2007, 13:28
Hi Marco,
when the lens is mounted in the Shutter by Rodenstock, the Apo-Ronar is aligned for 1:20, but this will only influnce the outer region of the image-circle. At 1:1 you will not reach this region in any case. Also when you have such a long bellow, the camera is very sensitive for vibrations. So with a shorter focal-lenght you will get the images much easier.

Peter K

Bob Salomon
6-Nov-2007, 13:30
First Apo Ronars have been out of production for several years. They were optimized for 1:1 reproduction of flat art work at f22 for focal lengths shorter then 600mm. F 32 for longer ones used for view cameras.

They were never supplied from the factory for retail distribution optimized for infinity or close to infinity scales of reproduction.

Marco Annaratone
6-Nov-2007, 14:45
Hi Marco,
Also when you have such a long bellow, the camera is very sensitive for vibrations. So with a shorter focal-lenght you will get the images much easier.

Peter K

Kurt,
you are right about vibrations, but a shorter focal length also results in a shorter working distance and that creates some other problems (e.g., shadows on the subject).
Keep also in mind that I have to cover a 14in x 17in negative...

Cheers!

Marco Annaratone
6-Nov-2007, 14:47
First Apo Ronars have been out of production for several years. They were ...

Thanks for the reply, Bob!

Cheers!

Armin Seeholzer
6-Nov-2007, 15:48
"They were never supplied from the factory for retail distribution optimized for infinity or close to infinity scales of reproduction."
Bob you are totaly wrong on this!
I by my self had emailed to Rodenstock/Linos about 4 years ago because they meade a promotion on there german website thad they are willing to optimise APO Ronars to infinitiy.
So I wrote a mail and asked what it would cost and then the ingienieur from Linos told me 120 Euros something like thad, but then he also told me thad all the lenses which where put in a shutter from Rodenstock are already optimiesed at 1:20 from Rodenstock in the past and it would not make sence to change it to infinitiy the name of the guy was Dieter Solbach or Dieter Wenzel from the factory.
I had communication with booth but on different matter and not shure which was it but I tink it was Mister Solbach.
So he recommanded it only for the barrel ones!
So Bob im german speaking and it was not a misunderstood!
If I would stil have the same mail PGM and the same Mac I could send it to you but 2 years ago it is gone!
I know thad you know much about Rodenstock but you do not know everthing!
Hope it helps, Armin

Bob Salomon
6-Nov-2007, 16:51
Armin,

Sorrry but all literature that we have as the Rodenstock distributor and all technical sheets that we have state that these are process lenses. That is why I said that for the retail market.

Yes they could supply special order lenses. But not for sale from factory stock for retail distribution.

Furthermore there is nothing marked on any Apo Ronar sold at retail that states what special ratio it might be set for.

Scott Rosenberg
6-Nov-2007, 17:11
my experience mirrors that of armins... i was told that the apo-ronars that were factory mounted in shutters were optimized at 1:20. since mine was mounted in a copal shutter at the time of manufacture, i was told not to send it in for any further adjustments.

once i saw what the lens was capable of all my concerns were put to rest.

Peter K
6-Nov-2007, 17:54
Kurt,
you are right about vibrations, but a shorter focal length also results in a shorter working distance and that creates some other problems (e.g., shadows on the subject).
Keep also in mind that I have to cover a 14in x 17in negative...
Marco,
it's Peter, not Kurt :)

Why a 14x17" negative? With a macro-lens and 4x5" negative enlarged on 14x17" you will get an image with better resolution. The Airy-disk from a makro-lens with a much bigger numerical aperture is smaller as the one from a f/9 Apo-Ronar.

Of course the working distance is smaller too, but with ring-flashlight or fibre-optic you can get enough light on your subject.

Peter K

Marco Annaratone
6-Nov-2007, 23:14
Marco,
it's Peter, not Kurt :)

Why a 14x17" negative? With a macro-lens and 4x5" negative enlarged on 14x17" you will get an image with better resolution. The Airy-disk from a makro-lens with a much bigger numerical aperture is smaller as the one from a f/9 Apo-Ronar.

Of course the working distance is smaller too, but with ring-flashlight or fibre-optic you can get enough light on your subject.

Peter K

Hi Peter, :)
I have a 14 x 17 camera, I do not have a 4 x 5 camera. I happen to have this Apo-Ronar and I have no plan to buy other lenses. That's why I asked the question. Thanks anyway for the good suggestions.

Cheers!