PDA

View Full Version : Call for submissions

David Spivak-Focus Magazine
6-Nov-2007, 01:03
In all of our previous calls for submissions, we have been blessed with several hundred photographers whose work really stands out, unfortunately, none of them have had photographs right for the cover of our Collector's Edition.

So, with less than two weeks left before we go to press, here's what we're looking for:

A portrait shaped image
The image must intense/dramatic
It must capture someone's attention within half of a second
We would prefer the image be color, but black and white is acceptable
The image must have enough space around the central focus of it to put our logo and several cover lines so not to disturb the image.

See www.focusmag.info/preview for examples of previous covers we've done before.

There is absolutely no fee for submission and being an advertiser is not required at all. This is 100% free. You submit the image(s), we tell you if we like it or we don't and that's it. If we wind up liking your image, we will publish a 4-page Focus Gallery of your work and give you a 50 image online gallery on photoconnoisseur.net for free.

Maretzo
6-Nov-2007, 03:03
Will this Vietnamese boy make the cover of Focus Mag?
Please read the next magazine to know more...

Slide 35mm taken in 1993, scanned in 2007, autobalance in Photoshop.
Original is 9 Mb.

domenico Foschi
6-Nov-2007, 03:49
In all of our previous calls for submissions, we have been blessed with several hundred photographers whose work really stands out, unfortunately, none of them have had photographs right for the cover of our Collector's Edition.

So, with less than two weeks left before we go to press, here's what we're looking for:

A portrait shaped image
The image must intense/dramatic
It must capture someone's attention within half of a second
We would prefer the image be color, but black and white is acceptable
The image must have enough space around the central focus of it to put our logo and several cover lines so not to disturb the image.

See www.focusmag.info/preview for examples of previous covers we've done before.

There is absolutely no fee for submission and being an advertiser is not required at all. This is 100% free. You submit the image(s), we tell you if we like it or we don't and that's it. If we wind up liking your image, we will publish a 4-page Focus Gallery of your work and give you a 50 image online gallery on photoconnoisseur.net for free.

Should the images be posted on the forum or you have an email specific for the submission?

6-Nov-2007, 07:52
Will this Vietnamese boy make the cover of Focus Mag?
Please read the next magazine to know more...

Slide 35mm taken in 1993, scanned in 2007, autobalance in Photoshop.
Original is 9 Mb.

As good of a photograph as it is, I'm sorry, no. But you have the right idea as far as negative and positive space and a centralized object.

6-Nov-2007, 07:54
Should the images be posted on the forum or you have an email specific for the submission?

As much as I love visiting here, I won't be able to all day long. The quickest way to capture my attention is through e-mail. david@focusmag.info

I just saw two images on photo.net's gallery that were interesting, but not dramatic/intense enough. You have to have some kind of an emotional reaction from it. What a great thing it would be to have someone from here on the cover of FOCUS.

8-Nov-2007, 21:15
Just to update everyone, I have received some incredible submissions for the upcoming cover... but still have not come up with an image that I like. This process is still open.

Jan Nieuwenhuysen
9-Nov-2007, 04:39
Message sent.

9-Nov-2007, 07:24
Message sent.

I don't believe I received an e-mail from you?

scott_6029
9-Nov-2007, 08:13
PM sent.

Jan Nieuwenhuysen
9-Nov-2007, 08:35
I don't believe I received an e-mail from you?

I sent you a mail through your 'profile' page on this site. Maybe that address is no longer valid? If so, please update.

I'll try again with a PM.

Dave Wooten
9-Nov-2007, 09:32
pm sent

nelson_chan
9-Nov-2007, 15:58
email sent on the 7th

10-Nov-2007, 09:26
Sounds like you want a stock, standard vertical image for the cover. I see as well you are not PAYING for the image. Why not PAY for this cover 'opportunity' and add in the 'valuable' free stuff you mention?

Because I am already paying to advertise that photographer's work to the thousands of collectors reading FOCUS. Do this for me Dakotah. Go give away all of your advertising for free in your magazine. Oh wait, you don't run a magazine.

[Seems you just don't learn from the past. You still expect photos for free or to have those who send them in PAY for your using their work.

Yes, Dakotah. You're absolutely right. People have to PAY to advertise inside of my magazine. In fact, people have to PAY to advertise inside of almost EVERY magazine. Are you just catching onto this?

Quite the scam you have going. Sad part is that you keep finding suckers to feed your operation.

Oh right, yeah. Big scam. Huge scam. You caught me.... how dare I market a magazine to collectors and ask photographers to pay to advertise in that magazine. I'm going to hell, aren't I. I REPENT! I REPENT!

11-Nov-2007, 10:02
Thank you all so much for your submissions to Focus Magazine for the cover contest. We have made a final decision regarding the cover for the 2007 Collector's Edition. In the past week, I made posts on here and photo.net asking for submissions. When it was all finished, I received over 100 submissions and over 300 images to choose from. As a courtesy to those who submitted from this site, I am offering 1 free copy of our Collector's Edition to thank you for the time and effort you went through in sending me your submissions. Please PM or E-Mail me your addresses. Thank you once again for your help in this... it has been an exciting week and the cover image we chose is, I believe, quite dramatic. Moderators, please close this thread.

Jorge Gasteazoro
11-Nov-2007, 14:08
Because I am already paying to advertise that photographer's work to the thousands of collectors reading FOCUS

So, is the person who "won" the contest going to get a write up inside the magazine as well? If not, then you are not really "paying" to advertise that photographer. What you did was weasel out of paying usage rights by calling it a "contest". You have to have a cover shot, regardless of who does it, but the difference in this case was that instead of you paying about 2k to a photographer to give you the rights to print their shot you got it for free. I have to say it was a smart move, but it is the reason why so many dislike you in this forum. It is not only that you think you are very smart, but that you think the rest of us are stupid.

Now, if you are going to give the guy who won the "contest" a write up inside the magazine as well, then I gotta pat you in the back and say that you are being undeservedly hassled because of your past transgressions...but somehow I doubt this is the case.

11-Nov-2007, 14:16
So, is the person who "won" the contest going to get a write up inside the magazine as well? If not, then you are not really "paying" to advertise that photographer. What you did was weasel out of paying usage rights by calling it a "contest". You have to have a cover shot, regardless of who does it, but the difference in this case was that instead of you paying about 2k to a photographer to give you the rights to print their shot you got it for free. I have to say it was a smart move, but it is the reason why so many dislike you in this forum. It is not only that you think you are very smart, but that you think the rest of us are stupid.

Now, if you are going to give the guy who won the "contest" a write up inside the magazine as well, then I gotta pat you in the back and say that you are being undeservedly hassled because of your past transgressions...but somehow I doubt this is the case.

Yes, definitely will receive an interview in the magazine and it's a woman, not a "guy." The interview will be published in either our April or June 2008 issue, dependent upon the editorial calendar's flexibility. Her photography is really quite stunning.

Jorge Gasteazoro
11-Nov-2007, 14:45
Yes, definitely will receive an interview in the magazine and it's a woman, not a "guy." The interview will be published in either our April or June 2008 issue, dependent upon the editorial calendar's flexibility. Her photography is really quite stunning.

Then perhaps you should have specified this when you asked for submissions, I bet you would have gotten more replies. On the other hand, I guess fair is fair, I hope you do give her an interview and showcase more of her work.

jetcode
11-Nov-2007, 14:52
geez louise - as if the making it in the magizine business isn't difficult enough; saw your mag at borders, it was at the very top left buried behind a Photographers Forum. I picked up SilverShotz due to the content. Yikes I'd hate to have to make quest for market share on those shelves.

jetcode
11-Nov-2007, 14:55

did she enter from this forum?

11-Nov-2007, 15:00
geez louise - as if the making it in the magizine business isn't difficult enough; saw your mag at borders, it was at the very top left buried behind a Photographers Forum. I picked up SilverShotz due to the content. Yikes I'd hate to have to make quest for market share on those shelves.

It's nearly impossible to get front of the shelf display. We're doing quite well in Borders. We have about 2000 copy increase going on for April there. Couldn't do it for my CE, too expensive to print an extra 2000 copies along with a 32 page increase from my previous issue.

SilverShotz is a great magazine from what I hear. I never have enough time at the bookstores to actually read it. Where do you live?

11-Nov-2007, 15:07
did she enter from this forum?

No, actually. She was a straight submission.

jetcode
11-Nov-2007, 15:09
It's nearly impossible to get front of the shelf display. We're doing quite well in Borders. We have about 2000 copy increase going on for April there. Couldn't do it for my CE, too expensive to print an extra 2000 copies along with a 32 page increase from my previous issue.

SilverShotz is a great magazine from what I hear. I never have enough time at the bookstores to actually read it. Where do you live?

This was at the San Rafael Borders in the S.F. bay area. There's a bunch of good magazines and prices aren't getting cheaper. I thought yours had some interesting stuff in it but appeared to be geared to a slightly different audience than I. I like Lens Work and B&W. I used to buy View camera on occasion but that no longer appears on the shelfs. There are a couple of prosumer photography magazines that have some excellent content as well. This months Silvershotz has a couple of portfolios that are really interesting to me. An article on Swedish photographers, one using 35mm strips in a homemade 4x5 pinhole, etc. I'd collect them all except I am not rich in money or time. I will keep checking on Focus and may pick up an issue in the near future. I like Cole Thompson's work and he advertises in your mag as well as others.

Does this mean your collecters edition won't be in Borders?

11-Nov-2007, 15:16
This was at the San Rafael Borders in the S.F. bay area. There's a bunch of good magazines and prices aren't getting cheaper. I thought yours had some interesting stuff in it but appeared to be geared to a slightly different audience than I. I like Lens Work and B&W. I used to buy View camera on occasion but that no longer appears on the shelfs. There are a couple of prosumer photography magazines that have some excellent content as well. This months Silvershotz has a couple of portfolios that are really interesting to me. An article on Swedish photographers, one using 35mm strips in a homemade 4x5 pinhole, etc. I'd collect them all except I am not rich in money or time. I will keep checking on Focus and may pick up an issue in the near future. I like Cole Thompson's work and he advertises in your mag as well as others.

Does this mean your collecters edition won't be in Borders?

Well, the audience in which the magazine promotes itself to is collectors, really. But as a photographer, there's really a lot of information you can learn about what's going on in the market. I learned so much from the interview with Arthur Tress... he is a fantastic photographer.

No, my CE will be at borders. Borders recently asked for a 2000 copy increase and I can't fulfill that until my next issue after the CE. Although we are using probably the best printer in the US, he does not come cheap. We're also most likely upgrading the paper in the magazine, so there are some new expenses along with being 208 pages vs. the 176 we've been for a year now that makes printing out 2000 additional copies nearly impossible.

14-Nov-2007, 15:57
Well, the audience in which the magazine promotes itself to is collectors, really. But as a photographer, there's really a lot of information you can learn about what's going on in the market. I learned so much from the interview with Arthur Tress... he is a fantastic photographer.

No, my CE will be at borders. Borders recently asked for a 2000 copy increase and I can't fulfill that until my next issue after the CE. Although we are using probably the best printer in the US, he does not come cheap. We're also most likely upgrading the paper in the magazine, so there are some new expenses along with being 208 pages vs. the 176 we've been for a year now that makes printing out 2000 additional copies nearly impossible.

What do you guys think of the final cover design?

Eric James
15-Nov-2007, 00:54
It looks good! I would like it more if you dialed down the font size enough to separate the N G and T (just a bit) from the 'berg?

15-Nov-2007, 00:58
It looks good! I would like it more if you dialed down the font size enough to separate the N G and T (just a bit) from the 'berg?

All names have to remain the same size font throughout the entire cover. 24 point. I know what you mean, though.

Tim Hyde
15-Nov-2007, 09:14
Camille Seaman! Good choice. My word she is getting hot.

15-Nov-2007, 09:50
Camille Seaman! Good choice. My word she is getting hot.

I hadn't heard of her until she submitted work to us last issue. Her work was incredible and I called her up the second I received her and viewed her images from her CD. She was in our last issue and the images that were reproduced were amazing and very powerful. She is on the cusp of breaking out and making it big and I definitely want to be the one in 20-30 years from now who said "We got her when she was young and still emerging."

Mark Sawyer
15-Nov-2007, 15:15

Just curious, is the cover image in b&w or just very unsaturated color? All the work I've seen of Seaman's icebergs has been color, and one of my (admittedly closed-minded) peeves is the current stream of "here's the color version, and here's the very same image in black-and-white..."

15-Nov-2007, 16:22
Just curious, is the cover image in b&w or just very unsaturated color? All the work I've seen of Seaman's icebergs has been color, and one of my (admittedly closed-minded) peeves is the current stream of "here's the color version, and here's the very same image in black-and-white..."

You know, I don't know the process of her work or what she does in the darkroom/computer exactly, plus it's a lo-res image... you can see it better on the homepage www.focusmag.info. Bigger version of the cover. It's definitely not black and white though.

keithwms
15-Nov-2007, 16:40

I like it. As I learned from our exchange, it's clear that what you need is a strong centered image surrounded by negative space.

It's a striking cover.

15-Nov-2007, 19:26
I like it. As I learned from our exchange, it's clear that what you need is a strong centered image surrounded by negative space.

It's a striking cover.

I would like to see the final finished product and put it up against some of our other covers... see which is the best.

www.focusmag.info/preview

Mark Sawyer
15-Nov-2007, 20:57
You know, I don't know the process of her work or what she does in the darkroom/computer exactly, plus it's a lo-res image... you can see it better on the homepage www.focusmag.info. Bigger version of the cover. It's definitely not black and white though.

Strange, it seems to be a black and white image in both versions. Perhaps it's just an internet glitch. I'll take your word that it's a color image though. which makes it a non-issue, with my apologies.

And, btw, from the contents listed on the cover, it looks to be a wonderful issue with quite a bit of bearing on the nature of our art...

QT Luong
15-Nov-2007, 23:53
one of my (admittedly closed-minded) peeves is the current stream of "here's the color version, and here's the very same image in black-and-white..."

You're going to love this :-)

Pictures of Europe (http://www.terragalleria.com/europe/)

Black and White Pictures of Europe (http://www.terragalleria.com/black-white/europe/)

16-Nov-2007, 00:18
Strange, it seems to be a black and white image in both versions. Perhaps it's just an internet glitch. I'll take your word that it's a color image though. which makes it a non-issue, with my apologies.

And, btw, from the contents listed on the cover, it looks to be a wonderful issue with quite a bit of bearing on the nature of our art...

Thank you. While the colors in this image are not vivid like other submissions that were sent out way, they are present nontheless. It is interesting to read other people's reactions. Most are positive, some are not. We have another call for submissions in the works after this issue has been finished and is at the printers. Stay tuned.

Dave Wooten
16-Nov-2007, 07:47
Hey Dave,

Thanks for sharing, and for the submission call.

16-Nov-2007, 08:33
Hey Dave,

Thanks for sharing, and for the submission call.

UPS guy woke me up this morning with another print from you... riiiing, riiing, riiiing, "COME ON WAKE UP YEW GOT A PACKAGE OVUH HEYEH!".... I walk to the door and this guy would make Charles Manson look good. He wants to discuss how A-Rod just signed a new 10-year deal with the Yankees after A-Rod gave the Yankees the quote-unquote "finger." So he starts sharing his thoughts, while spitting on me at least a few times accidently about how A-Rod reminds him a lot about his ex-wife and then he proceeds to let me know that towards the end of their marriage she never had relations with him after he lost his two front teeth... gee, I wonder why. UPS guys have about as much class as my neighbors 200 lb. great dane/pitbull mix at dinner time. I really need to move into the city where there's a doorman who is paid to put up with that.

Mark Sawyer
16-Nov-2007, 09:01
You're going to love this :-)

Pictures of Europe (http://www.terragalleria.com/europe/)

Black and White Pictures of Europe (http://www.terragalleria.com/black-white/europe/)

Yes, that's it, though not as bad as one of the student forums I help out in, where it's generally "here's the realistic color version, and heres the same thing in 'artistic' black-and-white..."

Admittedly, I'm a bit hypocritical here, as I sometimes do different versions of the same image with different lenses, though I regard that as a learning exercise. But sometimes it feels as though creative works are tailored to the customer like a restaurant order...

"And would you like your print in color or black-and-white, sir? Black-and white, very good, sir... And would that be inkjet or silver? Toned or untoned? And what size would you like? And do you prefer matte finish, air-dried glossy, or perhaps a nice canvas finish..."

Sorry for wandering off topic....

16-Nov-2007, 09:58
Yes, that's it, though not as bad as one of the student forums I help out in, where it's generally "here's the realistic color version, and heres the same thing in 'artistic' black-and-white..."

Admittedly, I'm a bit hypocritical here, as I sometimes do different versions of the same image with different lenses, though I regard that as a learning exercise. But sometimes it feels as though creative works are tailored to the customer like a restaurant order...

"And would you like your print in color or black-and-white, sir? Black-and white, very good, sir... And would that be inkjet or silver? Toned or untoned? And what size would you like? And do you prefer matte finish, air-dried glossy, or perhaps a nice canvas finish..."

Sorry for wandering off topic....

Why do so many more photographers choose a neutral tone than a warm or cold tone, no matter how subtle the tone might be?

Mark Sawyer
16-Nov-2007, 12:54
Why do so many more photographers choose a neutral tone than a warm or cold tone, no matter how subtle the tone might be?

I can only guess, of course, but I'd say it's a hold-over from the f/64 tradition, when everything was a neutral tone on fiber-based paper with an air-dried glossy finish, and anything else was considered pretensious or a throw-back to pictorialism. The white window matte is of the same nature, a universal, neutral presentation that doesn't interfere with the image. Such things have the advantage of putting prints on an even footing as far as the surface aesthetics, I suppose.

16-Nov-2007, 20:42
Ok, new topic:

First of all, I've received this photographer's permission to discuss his work in this forum.

www.johnpurlia.com

This photographer was one of many submissions we've received this year for the contest. At first glance, I was completely confounded as to how anyone could consider this "art." Then I got to looking around and really researching his work... it has a very interesting meaning behind it... what do you all think?

Don Hutton
16-Nov-2007, 21:25
Ok, new topic:

First of all, I've received this photographer's permission to discuss his work in this forum.

www.johnpurlia.com

This photographer was one of many submissions we've received this year for the contest. At first glance, I was completely confounded as to how anyone could consider this "art." Then I got to looking around and really researching his work... it has a very interesting meaning behind it... what do you all think?

I think that you should be discussing it on your "focus mag forum" - it clearly has absolutely nothing to do with large format photography, which as you seem to consistently forget, is what this forum is intended for.

16-Nov-2007, 22:29
I think that you should be discussing it on your "focus mag forum" - it clearly has absolutely nothing to do with large format photography, which as you seem to consistently forget, is what this forum is intended for.

Ah, yes, you're right, his work is not LF related. I'm sorry.

scott_6029
18-Nov-2007, 08:12
Well, here is a great 8 x 10 photographer who has put together a nice traveling exhibit of AntArctica - a great printer too. Can't imagine hauling the 8 x 10 around in those weather conditions!

http://www.andrewsmithgallery.com/exhibitions/jodyforster/jf_1071.html

19-Nov-2007, 13:27
I have two slots open for any photographer from this forum who wants in on the photographer directory. Free of charge. Please e-mail me a 300 dpi, CMYK tiff that's at least 4 x 5 or bigger. david@focusmag.info.

25-Nov-2007, 21:02
I cannot believe how big this PDF is. There's absolutely point in uploading a PDF that's going to wind up being 40 MB to download. Can someone help me with this so I can give everyone here a free preview of the upcoming issue? For some reason, my computer can't create the entire PDF -- it's 208 pages.

Gordon Moat
25-Nov-2007, 21:36
So are you converting to EPS, then using Acrobat Distiller for the final PDF? Or are you generating a PDF directly from Adobe InDesign? Or some third party software?

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)
Life - Updated

25-Nov-2007, 22:44
So are you converting to EPS, then using Acrobat Distiller for the final PDF? Or are you generating a PDF directly from Adobe InDesign? Or some third party software?

Ciao!

Life - Updated

Actually, if you were using Distiller, you'd create a Postscript file, .PS. But no, I'm not doing that. I'm exporting directly from IND CS2 on the smallest possible file size.

Gordon Moat
25-Nov-2007, 23:06
InDesign is unfortunately just not that great at creating the smallest possible file. Taking the result into the full version of Acrobat, then creating a PDF, whould usually be smaller by a noticeable amount.

I could have typed that better initially; using InDesign, you can output a PostScript file (.ps). Then you could use Acrobat Distiller to convert the PostScript file to a PDF. Depending upon settings, that would be the smallest file possible.

Another hint is to not subset fonts. It might seem that would save some space, but it actually creates a larger result. There are also a few technical issues with subsetting fonts.

Just for reference, I have been doing this for around 12 years. If you want to describe things in a more technical manner, please feel free to do so. Hope that helps.

Ciao!

Life - Updated

25-Nov-2007, 23:14
InDesign is unfortunately just not that great at creating the smallest possible file. Taking the result into the full version of Acrobat, then creating a PDF, whould usually be smaller by a noticeable amount.

I could have typed that better initially; using InDesign, you can output a PostScript file (.ps). Then you could use Acrobat Distiller to convert the PostScript file to a PDF. Depending upon settings, that would be the smallest file possible.

Another hint is to not subset fonts. It might seem that would save some space, but it actually creates a larger result. There are also a few technical issues with subsetting fonts.

Just for reference, I have been doing this for around 12 years. If you want to describe things in a more technical manner, please feel free to do so. Hope that helps.

Ciao!

Life - Updated

I started using layout programs (Aldus PageMaker 5.0 back then) back in the mid 1990s. I've never exported a 10GB magazine into something smaller than a 20MB PDF. Talk about compression... everytime I do it, a big error window pops up and says "Unable to create PDF." Of course, it has not had any problems whatsoever creating pdfs of the individual signatures for the printer, but that's 16 pages at a time.

Gordon Moat
25-Nov-2007, 23:25
So have you tried taking the signatures, then recombining the sections in Acrobat? Might be another way to go on this.

Ciao!

Life - Updated

matthew blais
27-Nov-2007, 11:38
Actually, if you were using Distiller, you'd create a Postscript file, .PS. But no, I'm not doing that. I'm exporting directly from IND CS2 on the smallest possible file size.

If you then open it in Acrobat professional, you can streamline it even further to reduce file size. Other option and longer, is to export each page from ID, then use PS to automate a pdf presentaion and set file size there, then reopen in Acrobat to resave.

I'm sure you know all this..but hey, I'm bored and typing quite well this morning..for a change... :)