PDA

View Full Version : Plate holders

Ron Mowrey
4-Nov-2007, 17:38
Well, it finally happened.

I got a plate stuck in one of my plate holders and had trouble getting it out in the dark. With perseverence, I got it out. Then, after processing the plate, I was inserting the dark slide back into the holder and noticed it would not go in. Inspection showed that the wooden strip that holds the plate at the top, where the slide goes in had cracked with age. I guess it is older than I am.

Anyhow, it is in my shop right now with glue on the broken parts and hopes that with TLC it will recover its former glory.

Now, my problem is that I have been searching for a place to buy some additional holders just in case. I can't find any 4x5 holders. I did find one 5x7 and some oddball stuff, but no 4x5s.

Anyone out there with suggestions?

Thanks.

Ron Mowrey

Glenn Thoreson
4-Nov-2007, 18:36
It sounds trite, but the auction thingy is likely to be as good as anything. Midwest Photo Exchange and Pacific Rim Camera could be sources, as well.

David A. Goldfarb
4-Nov-2007, 19:03
Lens and Repro might have some 4x5" plate holders.

Oren Grad
4-Nov-2007, 21:31
KEH occasionally has some under collectibles >> large format >> back and magazine accessories. You might also try Equinox Photographic.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
4-Nov-2007, 23:07
The best plate holders were those made by Linhof in 4x5, 9x12, and 13x18. These have a spring-loaded base plate and the small eject-lever on the side of the holder. They are often on ebay.de and shouldn't cost too much since they are very difficult to use with film. Unfortunately American "single" glass from a glazier is too thick to work with these holders so you would need to special order thinner glass.

Ole Tjugen
5-Nov-2007, 01:58
If you can use 9x12, I have a couple of Linhof single-plate metal holders and an adapter to use them on an international back. They just returned after being out on loan for a while, and I have - well, I have another set. :)

jnantz
5-Nov-2007, 06:19
once in a while
equinoxphotographic has them.

Ron Mowrey
5-Nov-2007, 08:17
Thanks for all of the replies and PMs.

I have searched all of the sites but equinox. I might try e-bay but I am reluctant to do so after a bad experience with an internet transaction a few years ago.

My largest camera is a 4x5, and I coat my own plates with my own ortho emulsion, so I can't handle anything larger than 4x5.

I may design a larger coating setup someday for plates. Right now it is the only thing I have that is reliable as the subbed estar supply is vanishing.

Ron Mowrey

Scott Davis
5-Nov-2007, 08:41
Ron- I'll dig around in my treasure chest o' stuff and see if I have any 4x5 plate holders. I probably have a bunch that need some cleaning and a little TLC, but might do you for a while.

Gene McCluney
5-Nov-2007, 13:03
Ron,
Do you want a plate holder that will fit the current standard 4x5 camera back? Just curious, because there are a variety of standards for plate holders, in relation to the outside dimensions. I am no expert, I only have experience with larger plate holders that would NOT fit my standard 8x10 film back on my view camera.

So even though my plate holders would accept an 8x10 glass plate (standard size), the outside dimension of the holder was larger than a standard 8x10 film holder.

Ron Mowrey
5-Nov-2007, 13:13
Thanks to all of you.

I have 1 good plate holder left out of 2. They fit a standard 4x5 camera. I use them on my Speed Graphic as part of my course work.

These two were given to me by a good friend, and many generous people here have been giving me direction in this. I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks so much.

There are 5 on ebay and a friend offered to share them with me if he wins the bid. We get 2 and 2. Since one has a broken darkslide, I can spare the slide from mine or scare up a slide here for him. If this works, I'll have two usable ones, but ebay is by no means a sure thing. Then I wil have 3.5 and he will have 3.

Ron Mowrey