PDA

View Full Version : Phillips Doohickey?

Kirk Gittings
2-Nov-2007, 12:47
For lack of a better term. The wire deal that is used to support the bellows on long extension. I bought a used 4x5 without the bellows support doohickey. Phillips does not seem interested in answering emails so I was wondering if someone could photograph the doohickey so I can make one, maybe.

Don Hutton
2-Nov-2007, 12:54
Kirk

Dick does not do much email. Give him a call and I'd bet he will have one in the mail to you within a day - 989 835 7897.

Ralph Barker
2-Nov-2007, 13:07
Have you tried www.doohickiesRus.com? ;)

A "box" cigarette pack (empty or otherwise) tucks neatly below most bellows for support.

Or, a small D-ring from the hardware store and a narrow bit of gaffer's tape to attach it to a center pleat on the bellows, plus a piece of welding rod (or an opened wire hanger, in a pinch) makes a more formal version, doohickus rex. :cool:

Don Hutton
2-Nov-2007, 13:16
Soft hat stuffed under bellows works fine too...

Kirk Gittings
2-Nov-2007, 13:23
Have you tried www.doohickiesRus.com? ;)

A "box" cigarette pack (empty or otherwise) tucks neatly below most bellows for support.

Or, a small D-ring from the hardware store and a narrow bit of gaffer's tape to attach it to a center pleat on the bellows, plus a piece of welding rod (or an opened wire hanger, in a pinch) makes a more formal version, doohickus rex. :cool:

very funny....

Unfortunately I don't smoke and don't wear hats. I guess I'll have to give him a call.

Hey not that it is really necessary, a 4 year old could figure this thing out, but did he ever do any kind of an instruction manual or anything for these?

Michael Mutmansky
2-Nov-2007, 13:26
Kirk,

I think it was simply a piece of metal wire bent into an 'L' shape, with a piece of plastic on each end so it was not pointy-sharp.

I think if you find a suitable sized Allen key, it would work properly, and be the easiest to replace. If I remember properly, When I got it, there was an Allen key in one of the holder holes.

I never used them... I have always used my meter as a bellows prop, so never found the need for the wire supports. That's probably why the disappeared. The magnet let them go when snagged on something, and I never noticed them missing since I always used a different method anyway.

Dick travels a lot, and if he is gone, it could be for a month or more, so he can be hard to get a hold of at times. I've never had him not respond to an email, though it might take some time.

---Michael

Don Hutton
2-Nov-2007, 13:47
very funny....
Hey not that it is really necessary, a 4 year old could figure this thing out, but did he ever do any kind of an instruction manual or anything for these?All of the cameras I have bought from him came with pretty detailed instruction sheets.

John Powers
2-Nov-2007, 15:40
Kirk,

I just got off the phone with Dick today, 6PM Ohio time, before I read this. Other wise I would have asked him. He has been traveling a lot this year. Give him a try.

John