PDA

View Full Version : Easel Options

David Nash
6-Nov-2000, 11:45
I've not used an enlarger before, and have been given an enlarger without an eas el. I am planning to make enlarged negatives, from 5x4" originals.

Can you recommend a good easel. I assume the base should be black to stop refle ctions, but I'm not sure about the various 2/4/blade options etc, or whether you need a special design to hold copy film as opposed to photographic paper.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Singleton
6-Nov-2000, 19:42
Four blades like the Saunders are very flexible in terms of border widths and custom sizing, but expensive because it's more difficult to assure the blades maintain exact right angles. Speed easels are relatively inexpensive non-adjustable paper frames that print only one size: 8x10, 11x14, etc. Two bladers like the Premier are a reasonable compromise. I'd suggest starting with one of those that will accomodate the largest typical print you'll want to make. To go bigger once in a while, you can improvise. The blades should be black, but the base is covered by the paper, so it doesn't much matter. Keep a scrap piece of paper at hand to focus on. A focusing aid like the Micromega is a real luxury.