PDA

View Full Version : Type 55 Update - Plant closing announcement

Juergen Sattler
31-Oct-2007, 18:07
The following was just posted over on photo.net:

"For all you non believers, today it was announced on the radio in Boston that the Polaroid plant that made the Type 55 film was closing at the end of the year. 120 employees being let go right now and another 50 by the end of the year.

I told you all recently, but nobody wanted to believe it was true.

Better start stocking up on the film.

Not only was it made official on the radio, but I have a source in the plant that was told they were out at the end of the year.

Paul DiModica"

If true, this would be a true loss to all of us!

Juergen:(

Andrew O'Neill
31-Oct-2007, 19:24
It was inevitable. Shit.

David A. Goldfarb
31-Oct-2007, 19:33
It's irreplaceable, but I wouldn't stock up on Polaroid. It needs to be fresh.

John Kasaian
31-Oct-2007, 19:37
Makes 4x5 less of an option!

David R Munson
31-Oct-2007, 19:40
I hate to say it, but this helps me feel less terrible about having sold my Linhof.

Gordon Moat
31-Oct-2007, 20:42
Surprised it took this long after 665 was discontinued. I still have one pack of 665 in the fridge, though not sure if it is still any good (12/03). I was going to try this on a project with a band, but they decided on only colour shots. Shame Fuji does not pick up on making this instant film.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio

Sylvester Graham
31-Oct-2007, 20:57
BLAST!

R.I.P. type 55, may you R.I.P.

davidb
31-Oct-2007, 21:25
I just found this. (http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071031/NEWS/710310342)

Turner Reich
31-Oct-2007, 21:25
No need to get P holder now is there? I bet a lot of people wish they had put them up on the bay before now. They will be less than useful.

Frank Petronio
31-Oct-2007, 22:03
Does it freeze OK?

tim atherton
31-Oct-2007, 22:06
Does it freeze OK?

don't think so - i think it screws up the chemicals in the same way it does for colour polaroid?

Frank Petronio
31-Oct-2007, 22:14
Then why don't the Chinese just make it?

athanasius80
31-Oct-2007, 22:57
Before crying wolf I think we need to verify for sure that the product is being axed. And then I'm going to pray that someone else picks it up. You never know...

Duane Polcou
31-Oct-2007, 23:08
Then why don't the Chinese just make it?
That would be difficult. The chemicals used in the caustic development pod are the same chemicals the Chinese put in toothpaste and paint on toddler's toys, so there would be shortage issues.

PViapiano
1-Nov-2007, 00:57
Don't I remember someone saying, quite a while back, that Fuji was being prevented from marketing a Type 55 substitute as long as Polaroid was making it, or something to that effect?

Gene McCluney
1-Nov-2007, 01:19
The question I have, is.....Is this Polaroids ONLY coating resource? Are all Polaroid films affected?

Matus Kalisky
1-Nov-2007, 01:53
That would be pitty if T55 would disappear ... before I event managed to try it out :(
(it is so damn expensive) .

What the hell - I will maybe get the holder and a pack or two before they are gone...

bsimison
1-Nov-2007, 03:47
This would certainly be bad news, but let's not lament its loss until Polaroid actually makes the annoucement. Type 55 is still for sale (http://shopus.polaroid.com/shop/public/products/details/dsp_product_details.cfm?product=600756) in their online store. Contrast that with the product page for Type 56 sepia film (http://shopus.polaroid.com/shop/public/products/details/dsp_product_details.cfm?product=618965):

NOTICE TO OUR CUSTOMERS: Please be advised that Polaroid will be discontinuing the manufacture of its T56 film within the next several months.

We realize that this is disappointing news for our loyal T56 users and we would like to emphasize that, although the circumstances made it inevitable, it was not an easy decision.

we are very sorry for the inconvenience.

If the legendary Type 55 was about to get the axe, wouldn't Polaroid give users a similar warning?

Steve Kefford
1-Nov-2007, 05:09
Before crying wolf I think we need to verify for sure that the product is being axed. .....

This plant was not owned by Polaroid. They did own it, but sold it August 2006. What has been happeining since then? And is this only type 55? What about 54, etc.?

I have just sent an email to Polaroid UK asking for clarification. I will report back if I get a reply.

Steve

JPlomley
1-Nov-2007, 06:07
Did I not just read a thread entitled "It's all about to turn"?

Gene McCluney
1-Nov-2007, 06:20
This is a "negotiated sale" or so the website of the auctioneer says, rather than an auction. I notice that all the Polaroid propriatery technology for this plant is for sale, including trade secrets relating to the equipment and technology.

Pete Roody
1-Nov-2007, 06:45
polaroid is also laying off 2000 employees!

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C01E7DE1F3EF937A25755C0A9679C8B63&n=Top/News/Business/Companies/Eastman%20Kodak%20Company

Mark Sampson
1-Nov-2007, 06:49
Pete, the article you linked to was written over six years ago. Those jobs are long gone.

Marko
1-Nov-2007, 06:57

Well, you have to admit it IS turning.

4x5 just got significantly cheaper for those who were using 55 as well as for those of us who intended to. :D

Pete Roody
1-Nov-2007, 06:58
Pete, the article you linked to was written over six years ago. Those jobs are long gone.

I just won the dumb-ass award for 2007. I was looking at the date at the top of the page (today's date). Actually, I do want Polaroid's instant film business to survive or get taken over. I don't use their products but many do. I also have an 8x10 processor that I want to sell.

JPlomley
1-Nov-2007, 08:13
Any bets on which E6 emulsion will be the next to fold?

Brian Ellis
1-Nov-2007, 08:26

It is turning - down.

billschwab
1-Nov-2007, 08:32
The following was just posted over on photo.net:People might try using phones before spreading rumours. I just got off the phone with Polaroid (easy... it only took dialing the number on my T55 film box!) I was told Type 55 is far from dead. There are multiple coating sources and the film's sales are strong and consistant. File this one under Chicken Little.

Ted Harris
1-Nov-2007, 08:36
I'll confirm Bill's post. I also just talked with one of my contacts at Polaroid and they said about the same thing.

In fact if you read all the primary source material carefully it is difficult to ascertain what the plants mentioned do/did make. Not to say that there wasn't a legitimate leak and that something is happening that most folks inside Polaroid don't know about yet. That was the case with the Forte closure. OTOH, in this instance I tend to think what Bill and I heard is right, there is just too large a market for this particular product.

Fred L
1-Nov-2007, 09:03
God I hope so Ted. I just wish they would resurrect 665, and bring down the price of 55 just a bit ;)

David Karp
1-Nov-2007, 09:27
If we all buy lots more T55, or find lots more people to start buying it, the price might come down.

Or maybe, if they dropped the price, we will all buy lots more of it, or lots more people will use it.

Which came first . . . .

darr
1-Nov-2007, 09:30
Thanks Bill & Ted!! This rumor seems to go round and round on different forums every time Polaroid puts out anything in the form of news media.

Fred L
1-Nov-2007, 09:41
For personal use, I still look at the per shot cost ($5.20 in Toronto before taxes) when using 55 and if it was bit less, it'd be easier to rationalize using it more often. At work, they pay for it so I'm ok there.

SamReeves
1-Nov-2007, 09:46

LOL! Yup. We are in decline, there's no doubt about it.

Asher Kelman
1-Nov-2007, 10:21
LOL! Yup. We are in decline, there's no doubt about it.
Hi Sam,

I looked into this about 6 months ago. This is the situation. All the chemicalss that will ever be used are sitting in drums. No more is being made. The only coating plant for the big stuff is nearby sold too. The land is very valuable and every time they sold something it has meant that the effort to get things going again will be cost prohibitive given the small market. Polaroid is just a marketing and licensing name pretty much and they have enough going for them without much labor milking this name and remaining interlectual assets.

Some film is being made in Mexico for smaller cameras but I don't remember which this is. The price won't go down if we all order a lot, it will go up! That's supply and demand.

Asher

davidb
1-Nov-2007, 10:39
So where is Type 55 being made and what does this closing mean to Polaroid products?

Ben R
1-Nov-2007, 11:17
It seems to me that Fuji are being very savy with this game. Given Kodak's vibes and these rumblings from polaroid, fuji who still have their entire film portfolio (Velvia 50 was replaced by 100 not dropped entirely and even then it's back), if they can remain strong enough then they will be in a position to take over the entire (pro level) film industry somewhere in the future. Film may become a niche but when you're the only player to a worldwide niche market you can do nicely, ask Hasselblad!

Marko
1-Nov-2007, 11:23
It seems to me that Fuji are being very savy with this game. Given Kodak's vibes and these rumblings from polaroid, fuji who still have their entire film portfolio (Velvia 50 was replaced by 100 not dropped entirely and even then it's back), if they can remain strong enough then they will be in a position to take over the entire (pro level) film industry somewhere in the future. Film may become a niche but when you're the only player to a worldwide niche market you can do nicely, ask Hasselblad!

Hasselblad that you know is no more either. Hasn't been ever since Imacon bought them. They too are simply milking the old name for all it's worth, but the new stuff has nothing to do with it. It's all Fuji now and the way they're closing their current system, it is not at all certain how nicely they are really doing.

Asher Kelman
1-Nov-2007, 11:30
Hasselblad that you know is no more either. Hasn't been ever since Imacon bought them. They too are simply milking the old name for all it's worth, but the new stuff has nothing to do with it. It's all Fuji now and the way they're closing their current system, it is not at all certain how nicely they are really doing.
Whole towns went poor with closure of candle factories, but we can still buy candles!

Asher

Marko
1-Nov-2007, 11:50
I didn't mean the factory, what I had in mind was their H system, which is now available with interface only to Imacon/Hasselblad, but does not allow coupling with third party digital backs. They are obviously trying to get a corner on the MF digital back market by forcing users of their cameras (low margin) to also buy their digital backs (high margin). How succesfull that will be remains to be seen, given the fact that they are not alone in that market but they are the most expensive.

Ted Harris
1-Nov-2007, 13:17
I didn't mean the factory, what I had in mind was their H system, which is now available with interface only to Imacon/Hasselblad, but does not allow coupling with third party digital backs.

Not an area in which I am an expert but I know at least one MF shooter who uses a Phase 1 back with his H something or other .. don't recall which one. Additionally, Phase 1 even lists backs for the H1 and H2 on their site.

As for Polaroid, could this whole bruhaha have started because someone misquoted? Type 59 is/has been discontinued (as I believe was mentioned earlier). My other Polaroid source called back and told me that T55 is manufactured in Waltham although some of the chemicals may come from Bedford. Add to that the fact that the film likely comes from Kodak. After some digging around inside the company the answer was still nothing additional. This is a reliable senior person.

Ben R
1-Nov-2007, 13:51
That was my point exactly. With Mamiya hanging on by their fingertips with no way to come back but to merge bodies and backs, the new hasselblad, the H3 locks out everything but a 'blad back and the H2 is now discontinued. An obvious attempt to try and corner the niche market and make sure that they have it all for themselves.

Marko
1-Nov-2007, 13:58
Not an area in which I am an expert but I know at least one MF shooter who uses a Phase 1 back with his H something or other .. don't recall which one. Additionally, Phase 1 even lists backs for the H1 and H2 on their site.

I'm far from being an expert either, but this is just reading the news. The point is that H1 and H2 are now being discontinued, leaving only H3D which comes with their own digital back and cannot be used with any other. Existing H1/H2 users can still use any digital back that can interface with their cameras, but once they need a new camera body, they have a choice of buying an entire H3D kit (back included) or look elswhere to find a new body for their existing back.

By opting for a closed system, they are either extremely confident and feel they can further monopolize the market OR they feel threatened and are trying to reinforce their position relying on the apeal of the old brand name while they still can.

Personally, I think it's the latter, what with Mamiya, Seitz, Phase One, Sinar and other players, some of which seem to have broader systems to offer, while others have much more attractive prices.

At any rate, this was just a tangential comment on the mention of Hasselblad, let's not pound on this any longer.

gr82bart
3-Nov-2007, 17:40
I love threads like this. This is too funny. LMAO!

Regards, Art.