PDA

View Full Version : Linhof 5X7

Terry Hull
31-Oct-2007, 07:54
I stopped by B&H yesterday and handled a used 5X7 Linhof (180 MM schneider lens)that looked really nice.
I am not familiar with older Linhofs, but believe it is an old Technica(?). Does anyone use these? Experience with them?

Rick Moore
31-Oct-2007, 08:34
If you look closely at Ole Tjugen's avatar picture, you'll see him hand-holding a Linhof 5x7.

John Kasaian
31-Oct-2007, 08:39
The biggest issue might be parts support. Anything older than a "3" might present a problem should anything break (of course they way Linhofs are built the trauma involved in breakage would be considerable!)

sparq
31-Oct-2007, 09:12
I have an old Linhof 5x7 camera that is a pleasure to use. It is solid, tight, all controls are still smooth and the original bubble levels still work. Mine seems to be a pre-war model with limited movements. I like it a lot but I am easy to satisfy. ;)

Ernest Purdum
31-Oct-2007, 09:36
If it is a Technika, it will have movements at the back. (Look for knobs there.)

Bob Salomon
31-Oct-2007, 10:13
Anything older than a "3" might present a problem should anything break

No. A 3 or older presents accessory problems. But even later versions may not have replacement parts available today.

photographs42
31-Oct-2007, 15:05
I use a 5x7 Tech III (1954). Except for being a bit heavy, it is a great camera. If you give Bob the serial number he can tell you the model and date of manufacture.

I have used mine for eight years now and have had no problems. If you are unfamiliar with Technicas, this web site is informative: http://www.cameraquest.com/techs.htm

If it has a light tight bellows and no broken parts I wouldn’t be afraid of not being able to find replacement parts. The things are built like tanks and with reasonable care they shouldn’t needs parts.
Jerome

Frank Petronio
31-Oct-2007, 15:15
If you and your tripod can handle the weight they are bulletproof... maybe a new bellows is needed every 30 years or so.

Paul Butler
1-Nov-2007, 04:25
I deeply, profoundly adore my 5x7 Technica.

It will require maintenance but it offers all the camera movements you can use in the normal course of photography, and it is rugged as a tank. The 4-thumbscrews-on-the-back system for rear movements works great once you drill it into your head that the right side ones and the left side ones turn in opposite directions. Setup for a shot in the field with this camera is very fast. All the controls fall readily to hand if your head is underneath the dark cloth.

I would definitely check the bellows and I recommend just seeing how easy it is to turn the back from landscape to portrait, if it hasn't been done in 40 years it could be stiff. But for the price B&H is asking, I suspect the camera has been serviced within living memory.

Mine is a Technica II made in 1946 with largely pre-war parts. This one will be a III and is definitely post-war, maybe mid 50s. As Bob Solomon notes, accessories will be an issue; I have an original lens board for mine but must have additional boards fabricated (not expensive), although lens boards for the III can be found on the used market. Also, my 120mm Super Angulon's rear element is about the biggest thing you can get inside the bellows (not a hinderance in my opinion). Don't even think of hand-holding this thing; mine weighs +/- 9 lb. with a lens.

Have a great time with it if you decide to buy! This camera will make someone very happy. I really think that you get all the more material for a scan from the larger 5x7 negative, without giving up much in terms of portability of the camera, and 5x7 film is readily available. It is a nice size format too, if you're making conventional prints.

Paul Butler

Ole Tjugen
1-Nov-2007, 05:19
...Don't even think of hand-holding this thing; mine weighs +/- 9 lb. with a lens. ...

What? 9lb isn't bad at all! I'll agree it gets heavy with a 300mm f:4.5 on the front, but it's still possible to hand hold! :D

Terry Hull
1-Nov-2007, 08:21
Thanks for the responses. This Linhof has back movements, and while the vendor says the bellows are light tight I wouldn't buy it without knowing the bellows could be replaced. Are replacement bellows available?

resummerfield
1-Nov-2007, 08:37
.....Are replacement bellows available?Jim at Midwest has them..... I just got one for mine. And easy to install.

Paul Butler
1-Nov-2007, 11:14
What? 9lb isn't bad at all! I'll agree it gets heavy with a 300mm f:4.5 on the front, but it's still possible to hand hold! :D

I guess I need to renew my gym membership! Actually the Technica II doesn't have a view finder but I get such great results by putting it on a tripod that its hard to settle for less . . . besides I have a handy 4x5 in case I get the urge to hand-hold a camera.

Paul Butler

John Kasaian
1-Nov-2007, 12:24
FWIW I have the "poor man's version"---a 5x7 pre-Anny Speed Graphic and let me tell you, hand held 5x7 is a blast!