PDA

View Full Version : Nagaoka 8x10 - opinions?

Dirk Rösler
30-Oct-2007, 22:48
Hello,

I have seen a used Nagaoka in the shop the other day. Unfortunately I don't know the exact model, but it is a 10x8 wooden field. Condition was very good and price (around USD 1000) seems reasonable.

Would be interested in hearing comments on general quality and perhaps price...

Thanks

Dirk

John Kasaian
31-Oct-2007, 01:30
Check how far out the bellows extend and if the length will work with the lenses you'll be using. The Nagokas I'm familiar with are delightfully slim and lightwieght, but it comes at a cost and IIRC one of the things that were sacrificed was bellows length. 1.5x the longest focal length lens you plan on using is a good guide, so for a 10"/250mm lens=15" of bellows...14"/355mm lens=21" of bellows... 19"/480mm lens=28" of bellows

Oren Grad
31-Oct-2007, 05:58
Dirk -

It's a bit hard to comment because the 8x10 Nagaoka has been made in at least two very different models.

I had one of the older ones, which looked like the classic 4x5 Nagaoka on growth hormone - identical design, just larger in every dimension. Pluses: very compact - in particular, very thin; lightweight for the format (about 8 pounds); opened and closed quickly and very easily; reasonable set of movements including front and rear swings. Minuses: a bit dainty in construction, though durable if you took some care in handling - I'd think twice about routinely using very heavy lenses; limited direct front rise, though you could get more rise with a combination of front and rear tilt; non-standard lensboard size, though I believe this was changed in later production.

Here in the US, I think $1000 would be a bit high for a Nagaoka in decent condition, though you pay a premium for the compactness and light weight, and there'd also be a bit of a premium for buying from a dealer. But the 8x10s aren't common here, so there aren't many transactions for reference.

Any chance you can grab a snapshot in the shop so we can figure out if it's a newer or older model?

Dirk Rösler
31-Oct-2007, 18:45
Thanks John and Oren. I will try to snap a shot next time I'm there (and the camera is still available).