PDA

View Full Version : New Palm Device for BTZS Software

D. Bryant
30-Oct-2007, 16:23
Hello BTZS Users,

All of my old Palm devices have crashed and burned and I need to replace them to use BTZS software.

Any recommendations for a replacement device that is relatively inexpensive. I assume that the BTZS needs Palm OS v. 4.2 or better but the new devices are running v. 5.4. Is that compatible with BTZS software?

Thanks for your help,

Don Bryant

P.S. I want to purchase a new Palm not a used one so e-bay is out for a point of purchase (I think.)

Keith Pitman
30-Oct-2007, 16:47
I have two Palm III's, one unused, that I'll let you have for postage, plus a token amount.:D

Shen45
30-Oct-2007, 17:20
I had mine running on a Zire 22 but recently bought a second hand Tungsten E. I don't use the palm for anything other than the BTZS software so the offer of a basic palm for a token and post is brilliant.

Steve

D. Bryant
30-Oct-2007, 17:59
I had mine running on a Zire 22 but recently bought a second hand Tungsten E. I don't use the palm for anything other than the BTZS software so the offer of a basic palm for a token and post is brilliant.

Steve
Steve,

So no issues with the Zire 22? I should have added that the replacement unit must have USB connectivity. Unfortunately serial port devices and the USB to Serial converters just don't work for me with my current port arrays on my PCs.

Thanks for the quick input,

Don Bryant

j.e.simmons
31-Oct-2007, 05:34
I have a friend who uses BTZS with a Zire 22 - no issues. I've installed it as backup on my brand new Tungsten E2 with the latest software. BTZS works fine. However, I carry my old IIIC into the field.
juan

Shen45
31-Oct-2007, 15:19
As Juan said Don no issues with the 22. I'm not a big Palm user for anything other than BTZS so my requirements are very light indeed. My 22 still works fine, I got the s/h Tungsten for the larger screen. Something about over 50 and arms getting too short for current eye focus ! :)

I think the 22 runs the latest or near to latest Palm OS and the BTZS software is faultless on it.

Steve

Stephen Sample
1-Dec-2007, 15:12
I still am using an old basic Plam III and it runs fast and fine. I know that that Fred and Dennis at the View Camera Store use and recommended the basic Palm Z22 when I was out there a few months ago.

Rob Champagne
1-Dec-2007, 15:40
Given that there are now many smart cell phones available, I would have thought its about time the software was updated to run on those. Ask them to port the code to java or C++ for symbian S60 and see what they say. If thats done then you should be able to run it on any of the Nokia N range of cell phones or any cell phone running Symbian OS S60.

D. Bryant
2-Dec-2007, 16:35
Given that there are now many smart cell phones available, I would have thought its about time the software was updated to run on those. Ask them to port the code to java or C++ for symbian S60 and see what they say. If thats done then you should be able to run it on any of the Nokia N range of cell phones or any cell phone running Symbian OS S60.
But I don't have (or want) a Nokia. The Palm Z22 works fine for me and I wouldn't like to use a cell phone in it's place.

Don Bryant

Rob Champagne
2-Dec-2007, 16:39
well I just thought since most people have already have a cell phone, it saves having two devices that do the same thing. Besides I thought your was palm was finished...

D. Bryant
2-Dec-2007, 18:22
well I just thought since most people have already have a cell phone, it saves having two devices that do the same thing. Besides I thought your was palm was finished...
Seiously Rob, Trying to read or input text on a cell phone screen isn't my cup of tea, though there is good logic in your idea.

Don

Rick Moore
2-Dec-2007, 19:00
Have you considered a Treo? The display on my 700P is sharp and easy to read, and I use a stylus for input just like any other Palm user.

If you don't carry a cell phone already, you're right, there's no reason to move to smart phone.

chris_4622
29-Jul-2008, 13:05
I recently upgraded my cell phone to a Treo 680 and purchased the BTZS software for the palm. I like it; easy to read, type or use the stylus.

I talked to Fred at the View Camera store discussing the program only working with Windoze and Palm. I hope someone with knowledge will update the program to work with a mac and especially with the iphone.

butterflydream
29-Jul-2008, 16:56
I talked to Fred at the View Camera store discussing the program only working with Windoze and Palm. I hope someone with knowledge will update the program to work with a mac and especially with the iphone.

Check this out:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/23/palm-emulated-on-the-iphone-finally-we-can-leave-that-iiic-at-h/

Don Hutton
29-Jul-2008, 17:29
Buy a pencil, a notebook..., and a clock. A lot less expensive than all the computerized whiz bang baloney. There is enough play and slop in your LF gear at most steps that 'precision' is only a word in this realm.

Most of the time the various small errors, inconsistencies and play tend to cancel each other out. Trying to get overly precise with this stuff is as silly as trying to hold a politician to a promise.

It is called the zone system, not the pinpoint system.
And you'd know.... Why on earth do people like you who have absolutely no idea what the OP is trying to accomplish bother to respond on threads about which you have zero knowledge or experience to share? Have you ever used BTZS? Do you know much about it? Get a dog and talk to it if you desparately need to achieve self validation by sharing your opinions on stuff about which you clearly know nothing.

chris_4622
30-Jul-2008, 12:05
Buy a pencil, a notebook..., and a clock.
There is enough play and slop in your LF gear at most steps that 'precision' is only a word in this realm.

I'm not a very bright guy, I haven't been able to get the hang of that.
As far as "play and slop" that may be true for your gear.

jetcode
30-Jul-2008, 13:02
Don I have an original Palm and BTZS software loaded that I don't use at all. It works and comes with all the documentation. Make an offer if you're interested.

D. Bryant
30-Jul-2008, 13:06
Don I have an original Palm and BTZS software loaded that I don't use at all. It works and comes with all the documentation. Make an offer if you're interested.
Joe,

I should have written that I purchased a Zire a while back I'm very happy with it.

Thanks,

Don

jetcode
30-Jul-2008, 13:07
If it weren't for the fact that negative film is highly forgiving and that I can pretty much nail an exposure that will work well enough I'd use the BTZS system.

Certainly it provides some nice exposure functionality not to mention a system for documenting and organizing images.

jetcode
30-Jul-2008, 13:08
Joe,

I should have written that I purchased a Zire a while back I'm very happy with it.

Thanks,

Don

I don't know what that is. I'm assuming it's a Palm replacement.

D. Bryant
30-Jul-2008, 14:12
Buy a pencil, a notebook..., and a clock. A lot less expensive than all the computerized whiz bang baloney. There is enough play and slop in your LF gear at most steps that 'precision' is only a word in this realm.

Most of the time the various small errors, inconsistencies and play tend to cancel each other out. Trying to get overly precise with this stuff is as silly as trying to hold a politician to a promise.

It is called the zone system, not the pinpoint system.

One can navigate with a compass, dividers and a paper map but why would anyone want to if they can avail there self to a GPS and a PC. Just like using BTZS, both will get you better results quicker and more accurately than the zone system or a compass. More so in fact.

In the end it's all about one's attitude toward the methods one chooses and uses. Using BTZS just isn't about precision as Phil Davis has written, rather about getting an integrated view of the whole system from exposure to print and being able to make informed decisions. Maybe someday you'll understand that.

Don Bryant

chris_4622
31-Jul-2008, 10:43
Some of us don't like all the electronic crap. Some of us don't have television even as we use these electronic hellboxes because we have to for some of our work. If you like farting around pushing computer buttons in the field, be my guest. The rest of us will be photographing. Just watch that if you set the thing down the batteries don't mysteriously die or magically 'disappear'.

Okay big boy you don't like electronic crap, now we all know, so we can refrain from talking about this so you don't have to spend anymore time on your hellbox/soapbox posting in a thread ABOUT electronic gear.

Shen45
31-Jul-2008, 17:39
I don't know what that is. I'm assuming it's a Palm replacement.

Yes Joe Zire is just a Palm model name. The 22 is a very basic unit but does an excellent job with the ExpoDev software.

The only thing I added to mine was a free battery monitoring utility as I found the graphic indication at the top of the Zire 22 screen seemed a bit inaccurate.

Steve

D. Bryant
31-Jul-2008, 18:05
Yes Joe Zire is just a Palm model name. The 22 is a very basic unit but does an excellent job with the ExpoDev software.

The only thing I added to mine was a free battery monitoring utility as I found the graphic indication at the top of the Zire 22 screen seemed a bit inaccurate.

Steve
Hi Steve,

Where did you find you battery monitoring app?

Thanks,

Don Bryant