PDA

View Full Version : And now for something a little bit different...5X14 Camera!

Jim Galli
30-Oct-2007, 08:29
My first ever NEW camera! Thanks to a lot of excellent help from Hugo, I had the folks at Chamonix build me a 5X14 camera! 2.8 : 1 ratio.

The story and first 10 or so pictures are HERE. (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Chamonix5X14/Chamonix_5X14.html)

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Chamonix5X14/Chamonix_5X14.html

Sorry, I didn't get pics of the Chamonix itself yet, but will follow up with those. But there are about 9 or 10 pictures made with the new format to get an idea of just how wide 2.8 : 1 is. You might have to re-size your viewing screen :D:D

Pretty tough to get a real feel for these with 90kb jpegs. They have a surprising presence when printed and matted. MORE than I originally expected.

Go have a look and let me know what you thought.

Jim Noel
30-Oct-2007, 08:38
Very interesting Jim. For some unexplainable reason, the images with the 450 don't work as well for me as the shorter ones. The comparison images are excellent for deciding which FL works best for a particular viewer. Now I have to take the 7x17 out and go through my limited set of lenses to make a similar decision. Trouble is, exposures cost me bit more as I am out of lith film large enough to cut down.

Oren Grad
30-Oct-2007, 08:54
Funky formats forever!

And here I thought it was going to be another one of those lexim2k specials from India. Jim: you're crazy, not to mention super-duper-best at showing the rest of us how to have a good time with a camera. Congratulations - enjoy!

Daniel_Buck
30-Oct-2007, 09:05
looks like alot of fun! I bet it's interesting trying to compost with such a long format!

Jim Galli
30-Oct-2007, 09:09
looks like alot of fun! I bet it's interesting trying to compost with such a long format!

I think you nailed it! Most of my compositions are.....in fact....compost :p

Michael Graves
30-Oct-2007, 09:10

Doubt if he wants to compost it after spending that much money! ;)

Songyun
30-Oct-2007, 09:35
Jim, it is you, I have heard about this project. hoho very nice.

Daniel_Buck
30-Oct-2007, 09:47
I think you nailed it! Most of my compositions are.....in fact....compost :p

aaah, haha! typo :D

evan clarke
30-Oct-2007, 10:06
Hey Jim,
How about some pix of the camera!!! 8^)..Evan Clarke

Andrey Donchev
30-Oct-2007, 10:28
Show us the camera, Jim! PLEASE!

Sandeha
30-Oct-2007, 10:40
Heeheehee ... that's big. ;)

Scott Squires
30-Oct-2007, 10:55
Jim

As a Panorama nut (6x17 - 4x10 - 7x17) I am impressed! A 5x14 is a great size and a perfect aspect ratio. It always seemed to me that 3 to 1 is a little long and 2.5 to 1 is a touch short. I used to shoot 35mm pano in my Mamiya 7, it was about 2.75 to 1 and really worked for my eye.

Enjoy the new toy and keep us all posted and we can't wait to see pics of the Camera and Holders.

Scott

Vaughn
30-Oct-2007, 11:38
Way too cool...even for Tonopah!

Vaughn

Pete Watkins
30-Oct-2007, 12:02
Jim,
We've seen that Ford pick up from just about every possible angle now. Sell it and buy another lens or I might start posting pics of my clapped out Land Rover, nobody deservs that!
Best wishes & keep up the good work,
Pete.

Ed Richards
30-Oct-2007, 13:50
Great work! This is the first time I have seen a ULF post that looked fun, rather than making me think that ULF is a reason for wider use of OCD medication.

Jim Galli
30-Oct-2007, 14:33
Show us the camera, Jim! PLEASE!

Evan, Andrey and all, LATER dudes. I'm supposed to be working :p

Nigel Smith
30-Oct-2007, 18:07
well I luv old trucks... and old weathered buildings... so enjoyed the pics!

Jim Galli
30-Oct-2007, 19:10
For some photos of the camera click on the picture...

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Chamonix5X14/Camera0.jpg (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Chamonix5X14/ChamCam514PIX.html)

David A. Goldfarb
30-Oct-2007, 19:15
That's a beautiful camera, but where's the Galli shutter?

Jim Galli
30-Oct-2007, 19:19
That's a beautiful camera, but where's the Galli shutter?

Well, I guess you just can't have everything...

BTW it is notable that I ordered it with the 6X6 front standard for Kodak 2D boards. A smaller board is standard.

Jan Pedersen
30-Oct-2007, 19:48
Congrats Jim, that is an awesome beautiful camera and what a nice format. Looks like it is a keeper with your name engraved or is that just to increase resale value :rolleyes:

Hugo Zhang
30-Oct-2007, 20:09
Jim,

I find some of your pictures really enchanting. I don't know it's Jim Galli's touch or the unique format. Maybe it's both. No, I am not getting another camera, but I do feel the temptation. It's crazy. It's not me only. I have people asking me how long the waiting time for a 5x14. I told them them to consider Chamonix 4x10 instread, easy-to-find films and no waiting time.

Thamks for posting those wonderful shots!

neil poulsen
30-Oct-2007, 20:19
Why am I thinking that your next project might be to make traditional enlargements from those negatives? :D

Jim Galli
30-Oct-2007, 20:24
Why am I thinking that your next project might be to make traditional enlargements from those negatives? :D

Well, I just bought a Chromega F, but I'd have to build a special light box and modify the carrier level a bunch....:confused:.....a 20X56 would be nice eh?? :eek:

C. D. Keth
30-Oct-2007, 20:42
What are you thinking for film? I can't think of any good way to cut film for it that doesn't yield a significant bit of waste. Even splitting it from 11x14 yields a 1x14 strip of waste. That's almost a sheet of 4x5 in area.

Marko
30-Oct-2007, 20:52
What are you thinking for film? I can't think of any good way to cut film for it that doesn't yield a significant bit of waste. Even splitting it from 11x14 yields a 1x14 strip of waste. That's almost a sheet of 4x5 in area.

1" is like the width of 35mm film... 1x14 would be some panorama!

Or perhaps get five of those and stack them together for a special effect.

:D

Jim Galli
30-Oct-2007, 20:55

Chris, there's a method to my madness. I have a lifetime supply of Kodak Panatomic X up in the freezer. It is aerial recon film on 4mil estar base rolled in mostly 200' X 5" rolls. Some are longer. So I just roll out 14 inches and chop. I also have some but not a lot of Kodak aerial recon Plus X. It's great film. A little hard to handle the contrast sometimes. That was one reason I jumped on it Saturday. Overcast most of the day. The folks at Chamonix warned me that no one else would want this camera because of the film issue. The way film is going, I may be the last guy on earth shooting some.

David Karp
30-Oct-2007, 21:43
Beautiful camera Jim. Enjoy it.

Ash
31-Oct-2007, 03:07
Ahhh, now your name on the front makes a little more sense Jim :)

evan clarke
31-Oct-2007, 03:58
Thanks Jim,
These are the nicest looking wood cameras I have sen so far. My Ebonies are not finished quite as nicely. I lifted your images, I have a collection of photos of all the view cameras I have been able to find in the last few years, mostly from eBay. Someday these designs may all disappear and the pics will be a nice reference..TTYL..Evan Clarke

C. D. Keth
31-Oct-2007, 13:43
Chris, there's a method to my madness. I have a lifetime supply of Kodak Panatomic X up in the freezer. It is aerial recon film on 4mil estar base rolled in mostly 200' X 5" rolls. Some are longer. So I just roll out 14 inches and chop. I also have some but not a lot of Kodak aerial recon Plus X. It's great film. A little hard to handle the contrast sometimes. That was one reason I jumped on it Saturday. Overcast most of the day. The folks at Chamonix warned me that no one else would want this camera because of the film issue. The way film is going, I may be the last guy on earth shooting some.

Ah, Jim. You're crazy like a fox. With all that film in mind, that sounds wicked cool!

sparq
31-Oct-2007, 14:19
How long for have you been dreaming this project before its realization, Jim? Congratulations, you have an impressive solution there, and I like the pictures, too. :)

Dave Wooten
31-Oct-2007, 16:37
Cool dude!

Jim Galli
31-Oct-2007, 17:00
How long for have you been dreaming this project before its realization, Jim? Congratulations, you have an impressive solution there, and I like the pictures, too. :)

About 2 1/2 years. I missed that one 5X12 that Lens & Repro had with the 10 holders. Then about 2 a year would go through on Ebay and I never quite won. Then prices seemed to get really nutty. The gorgeous new camera was within half a thousand of what the used ones were going for so it seemed like a no brainer. It's the most $$$ I've ever spent on one piece of gear but I think it'll be a fun camera.

FWIW the film holders are finished like my wife's Chickering Grand piano. Almost too pretty to use. What's that worth when you're trying to 1st find and 2nd make useable without a host of problems 90 year old film holders. Again, no brainer.

wfwhitaker
31-Oct-2007, 17:14
Your name emblazoned on the radiator is a nice touch. Love that wild-west font... Suitable enough for an epitaph!

Especially nice that you were able to get Mr. Bill to model for you.

Jim Galli
31-Oct-2007, 17:18
Your name emblazoned on the radiator is a nice touch. Love that wild-west font... Suitable enough for an epitaph!

Especially nice that you were able to get Mr. Bill to model for you.

That's not Bill, it's Hillary. Sheesh!

C Henry
1-Nov-2007, 12:48
Stunning!
Never knew that I could be this jealous.

Vertical compositions can be truly magical with a panoramic camera.

C