PDA

View Full Version : GnassGear closed down?

kalvino67
29-Oct-2007, 21:31
Hi all,

I purchased some items online from GnassGear two months ago.
My credit card was charged but I did I not receive the goods. When I emailed a few weeks ago to find out what has happened I did not receive a response. :mad: My order status up until now had been 'processing order'.

Today, I find that their operation has temporarily closed down:
http://www.gnassgear.com/home/home.cfm

Does anyone know what is happening with this company and what chance of getting my money back? Have they gone into liquidation?

I actually don't even need the items anymore (it has been that long ).

Daniel_Buck
29-Oct-2007, 21:37
"expect to back in full operation soon."

I hope so, I rather like what I have seen of their products.

Kirk Gittings
29-Oct-2007, 22:38
See Gnass Again... thread below. It might be the fires.

kalvino67
2-Nov-2007, 19:13
I don't think it is the fires.

I have even tried emailing again but no response. It is pretty rude not to acknowledge your customers! Needless to say I am not very happy about it!!:mad:

brad martin
2-Nov-2007, 19:23
If they anwsered your email I believe you'd be the first. Knass is a little home operation. Try calling.

Michael Kadillak
5-Dec-2007, 11:21
I have the same problem with Gnass and I have tried calling for several weeks now and nothing.

Has anyone else been in contact with them and know where things are?

Many Thanks

John Schneider
5-Dec-2007, 11:38
Ask Rod @ Photomark 602.244.1133. They're always ordering from Gnass, and if something untoward happened, I'm sure he'd know about it.

Michael Kadillak
5-Dec-2007, 11:43
Ask Rod @ Photomark 602.244.1133. They're always ordering from Gnass, and if something untoward happened, I'm sure he'd know about it.

Thanks John. I will call Rod.

Ken Lee
5-Dec-2007, 11:47
In a related vein, what is a good do-it-yourself way to store lenses in one's bag, other than wraps ?

I have accumulated a number of lenses, and each is mounted on a Technika board.

Is there some kind of affordable plastic container ? I just want to avoid scratches. Perhaps I should just get some fabric and some velcro patches ?

Dave Parker
5-Dec-2007, 12:11
Ken,

I store my lenses in tupperware containers of various sizes..a little foam on the bottom and top and they float as well, just in case.

Dave

Michael Rosenberg
5-Dec-2007, 13:40
Ken,

Outdoor research makes padded cases for camp stoves. Each size is a different color. The yellow containers hold two of my lenses of various focal lengths from 58XL to 305 on Technica boards. I got them from Campmor.

Mike

Keith Pitman
5-Dec-2007, 13:49
I found fishing reel cases at Gander Mountain that will hold four lenses on Linhof-type boards. They are well-made, although not as well-padded as the Gnass cases. The price is terrific: $19.95. The Gander website (gandermountain.com) is very poor and you would have to find a store to find them. Fishpond also makes a nice fishing reel cases that you can buy on line from Bass Pro Shop: basspro.com-- then search for "fishpond." You can also find these at a local flyfishing shop: Hatch at Pine Junction, CO if you are in the neighborhood.

Ken Lee
5-Dec-2007, 13:52
- Thanks -

I mean no disrespect for Gnass, or any of the other esteemed providers who serve the LF community, without whom we'd be... up the creek.

That being said, we all appreciate "alternative" solutions. Sometimes, they give rise to new inventions, which in the long run, create more esteemed LF providers.

Ted Harris
6-Dec-2007, 15:26
To add to Keith's, many of you remember the reviews I have written on the Orvis reel cases. They are still available and have even been improved. I still swear by them and I know Kerry uses them too. I also know that it seems like there is at least one participant at each of our Fine Focus Workshops who is carrying lenses in one of the Orvis cases.

Hugo Zhang
7-Dec-2007, 07:39
Ken,

Go to Costco and they have cream colored fabric bags with zippers for dishes and glasses. 10 bags of various sizes in a box for $49.99. Cheaper and better than lens wraps.

Michael Alpert
7-Dec-2007, 10:34
Hi all,

I purchased some items online from GnassGear two months ago.
My credit card was charged but I did I not receive the goods. When I emailed a few weeks ago to find out what has happened I did not receive a response. :mad: My order status up until now had been 'processing order'.

Today, I find that their operation has temporarily closed down:
http://www.gnassgear.com/home/home.cfm

Does anyone know what is happening with this company and what chance of getting my money back? Have they gone into liquidation?

I actually don't even need the items anymore (it has been that long ).

Did you try to call GnassGear before you posted your message? Why are you suggesting that they are permanently closed? They are clearly saying that their website is temporarily closed, not their entire company. The notice from GnassGear (which seems reasonable to me) is as follows:

"Temporary Notice
Due to unforeseen circumstances, the GnassGear online store has been temporarily suspended.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause our customers. However, we are working expeditiously to fulfill all outstanding orders and expect to back in full operation soon.

Please contact Justin Gnass for further information regarding the status of your order.
Photo Products & Firefighting Gear"

GnassGear's telephone numbers follow this message.

Kirk Gittings
7-Dec-2007, 10:48
To add to Keith's, many of you remember the reviews I have written on the Orvis reel cases. They are still available and have even been improved. I still swear by them and I know Kerry uses them too. I also know that it seems like there is at least one participant at each of our Fine Focus Workshops who is carrying lenses in one of the Orvis cases.

Because of Ted bringing then to my attention, I use three of the Orvis cases., for LF accessories that I don't need to carry into the field, same for the DSLR.

BUT, there is nothing like the Gnass field film case for readyloads. One of the best LF accessories ever invented. Pure genius.

And Kalvin, this is the same treatment I got a couple of years ago, when they supposedly were in normal business mode and the website was up and running! Almost two months for delivery.

dkmacc
7-Dec-2007, 20:14
Ken,

Without help or advice from any source, my first solution for carrying lenses mounted on Technika boards, such as the Rodenstock Sironar N 150mm, was to use a lens wrap (Calumet) and place the lens and wrap in an airtight food storage container brand named "Lock & Lock" purchased at Wal Mart for $2.97 each. The correct container for lenses holds 1.2L and has a product number of HPL822D. The lid latches on all four sides and has a continuous gasket all around. The container is fairly rigid and the lens wraps provide protection from scratching and mild impacts. The rigidity of the container does prohibit stuffing it into very small spaces in a pack or bag.

After I found out (with the help of another forum member) that I could fit my entire LF kit (less film and holders) into an Orvis Safe Passage Fly Fishing Reel Storage bag with a modification of the long center divider allowing it to be located across the bag's short dimension instead of lengthwise, I have been very happy carrying everything that way. I did have to scrap using the Lock & Lock containers when using the Orvis bag, just not enough room for their rigid size. I do revert back to using the wraps and containers when carrying the gear using unpadded bags or a backpack. I also carry and store five each 4x5 cut film holders in another size Lock & Lock container, volume 1.6L, product number HPL824 with the same charactaristics and price as listed above.

Hope this helps you and others.

Don

Ken Lee
8-Dec-2007, 04:12
Thanks a lot for all the helpful advice !

Joseph O'Neil
8-Dec-2007, 09:34
A couple random thoughts. First, I have a small business that I sell goods mail order, and I never, ever, ever charge a credit card until I am actually ready to ship the item - that is, I am just about ready to package it and have my wife mail it. I do not understand businesses that charge credit cards too far ahead of time before.

As for wrapping lenses, in my backpack, both my lenses on Tachihara lens boards and my Tachihara are all wrapped in pure, real Chamois. I buy them in large sizes and cut them down to the proper size. Been using them for years,a nd they seem to work just fine
joe