PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in photography help me out plz!

Kenshi Ohno
28-Oct-2007, 23:57
Hey guys first of all thanks for looking. i recently got into photography and i was trying to purchase some lens for my new camera (Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III). i just wanted to know where do people usually buy their lenses because its so hard to find someone in local who sells them. i even heard that some hardcore photographers will even go to japan and buy lenses because its much more cheaper there, is that true? and what do you guys consider the best camera, company, and lense type?

Greg Lockrey
29-Oct-2007, 00:16
This is a large format forum 4x5" and larger. But to answer your question, I go to B&H online. Some like Midwest Photo, and others like Badger Graphic, but they are mostly large format.

Ben R
29-Oct-2007, 02:47
As the 1Ds mkIII isn't going to be available for a while and is certainly not for anyone 'just into photography', this post here on the LF board sounds and smells rather like a troll.

Gene McCluney
29-Oct-2007, 18:16
I hope he doesn't think that since the IDs mkIII is a "full frame" sensor, that that qualifies it for Large format. he he.

Kenshi Ohno
29-Oct-2007, 20:47
aw man you guys are gettin me confused. simply what is the easiest camera to start off with?

Andrew O'Neill
29-Oct-2007, 20:55
Like previously mentioned, this is a large format forum...that means people who use 4x5 cameras or larger...check out a digital camera forum...or photo.net. Whatever you do, do NOT ask your question over at apug...

roteague
29-Oct-2007, 21:13
Hey guys first of all thanks for looking. i recently got into photography and i was trying to purchase some lens for my new camera (Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III).

Try getting a film camera first, then try to figure out what Large Format means.

roteague
29-Oct-2007, 21:13
Whatever you do, do NOT ask your question over at apug...

That would be fun to watch.... :eek:

Greg Lockrey
30-Oct-2007, 01:35
aw man you guys are gettin me confused. simply what is the easiest camera to start off with?

A point and shoot.:p

Dave Jeffery
30-Oct-2007, 04:08
http://photo.net/equipment/

Good Luck!

Dave Jeffery
30-Oct-2007, 04:15
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/film.vs.digital.summary1.html

more info

rwyoung
30-Oct-2007, 06:04

Box Brownie or maybe oatmeal-can pinhole

Greg Lockrey
30-Oct-2007, 06:58
Box Brownie or maybe oatmeal-can pinhole

Box Brownie maybe, but a pinhole you have to know what your'e doing.

Nick_3536
30-Oct-2007, 06:59
Naw a one of them press cameras are easier.

Greg Lockrey
30-Oct-2007, 07:12
Naw a one of them press cameras are easier.

Better yet, an Ebony SV45TE with a 6x17 back and a first surface mirror to make stereo 1 shot 6x8.5 images. :D

Gene McCluney
30-Oct-2007, 08:06
Your best bet, (seriously) for purchasing lenses for your Canon, is to purchase genuine Canon lenses, as these will be the best you can use on your Canon camera. As most current modern SLR LENSES are in demand, the price is very close between local camera stores and the large mail-order houses. Sometimes you have to weigh the difference between paying local sales tax, as compared to shipping costs for mail-order, and see which choice results in the best price.

For slightly used, properly graded good value lenses, you can't do any better than KEH CAMERA BROKERS, just do a goggle search for them. They have an extensive on-line catalog. Be advised, though that the in-demand top-professional lenses as used by the working photographers are quite expensive.

Gary Tarbert
31-Oct-2007, 03:57
Kenshi,If you are just starting off then i am am confused, you speak of owning the camera already and looking for lenses.:confused:
maybe we are a little behind in Aus but iam fairly sure this camera is not released yet!!
And if it is why a newby would buy one , unless they had more money than brains is beyond me.
My advice is buy a cheaper camera and spend the savings on good quality glass
cheers Gary