PDA

View Full Version : Getting Harder to source Transp. Sheet Film for quick delivery.

Gene McCluney
26-Oct-2007, 13:40
I'm just really sad that it is getting harder and harder to call up a vendor, any vendor and get 4x5 Ektachrome shipped quickly from stock. Yes, it is still available, but it seems even fairly big mail-order vendors don't stock much. I have had to call all over to get enough for a job next week. MY use is growing..but obviously industry-wide it isn't, or so it seems.

I generally use about 100 sheets a month of EPP+ 4x5 a month, and this month, my use will be 300+ sheets, maybe even 400 sheets. I process myself.

I can't afford to order a case at a time, I am just too small a business for that. A case, I am assuming would be 10 50 sheet boxes.

davidb
26-Oct-2007, 14:08
Have you ordered from Freestyle? My understanding is if the order is placed by noon PST, they ship the same day.

Gene McCluney
26-Oct-2007, 14:48
Have you ordered from Freestyle? My understanding is if the order is placed by noon PST, they ship the same day.

I have done lots of ordering from Freestyle, and it is a toss-up in their shipping. Sometimes it ships the next day. I use Freestyle as a vendor of choice for my personal LF b/w film, but for my color transparency stock, which is part of my business, I need to know "exactly" when I will get an item.

B&H and Adorama are also a bit hazy, in practice, on when an item will go out..and due to their devout religious convictions (which I basically admire), they are not my choice for anything I need to order towards the end of the week for monday delivery.

Both B&H and Adorama close at noonish on Friday and don't reopen until Sunday. The lasts several orders I have placed with B&H have not shipped same-day, even though I placed the order early in week, and before noon.

davidb
26-Oct-2007, 14:51
What about Jim at MPEX?

I recently called him last minute, requesting an item I needed fast. He shipped the same day.

The guy is the best in my book.

roteague
26-Oct-2007, 15:12
I've had great service from Calumet. They are my first choice. Glad to see your business picking up.