PDA

View Full Version : Symbols of Humanity

jetcode
25-Oct-2007, 20:44
A thread for posting images that represent historical or cultural aspects of humanity. Here is an image from Birkenau, 1 hour from Krakow, Poland. Birkenau was built because Aushwitz was too small. Not a place for the faint of heart. A lot of tragedy was experienced here. 35mm handheld.

Mark Sawyer
25-Oct-2007, 21:08
Seems more a symbol of the lack of humanity, or at least the very worst of it...

jetcode
25-Oct-2007, 21:11
Seems more a symbol of the lack of humanity, or at least the very worst of it...

No doubt, but this flavor seems to prevade the consciousness of humanity no matter how much we the world hold out for peace. I am hoping others will counter this aspect with their postings. We'll see ...

Asher Kelman
25-Oct-2007, 23:19
There are always special human being whose action in the face of such barbarity shows the real potential of humans for noble actions.

These could be photographs, drawings, a kindness or a brave act.

I'll try to post some images.

Asher :)

Greg Lockrey
25-Oct-2007, 23:22
The grass is so damn green there.

Ralph Barker
26-Oct-2007, 08:57
In the future, please limit posted photos to LF images.

jetcode
26-Oct-2007, 14:50
In the future, please limit posted photos to LF images.

Feel free to delete the thread Ralph. I will look for an open forum on photography.

Thanks,
Joe

John Kasaian
26-Oct-2007, 22:20
Historical & cultural aspects of humanity are I think best represented by photos of people---the real representatives of culture and the products of history---it is difficult to do though.. Dorothea Lange certainly succeeded, as did many combat photographers and others who were there to witness important events--but most of history and culture is made from far more subtle events. Try taking a photo of the oldest person in your town --can you tell the stories with a sheet of film that the "old timer" can tell in person? If you can, you have my admiration! Most attempts will capture at best the personality and at worse just a lot of wrinkles.
Perhaps the best historic and cultural representative photographs are those of babies---the products of a historic event as well as the future in the making---right there!

Michael Graves
27-Oct-2007, 04:58
Jetcode showed us the darker side of humanity. I'll try the brighter side.

Mother and Child, Arizona, 4x5 Ektachrome.